The Annual Conference for Theological Educators, 2019
15th - 17 July 2019, lunchtime to lunchtime
Theme for 2019:
Towards a receptive church: When is it better to receive than to give?
What happens when we move away from models of theology, ministry, mission, and education which focus on the flow outward – the flow from the 'centre' and out into the world – and which instead think about what the church receives at and beyond the edges of its current life?
For more on this theme, see the videos and other resources available at https://www.dur.ac.uk/theology.religion/common.awards/themes/receptivity/
The event will include:
- a session on radical receptivity with Al Barrett, Cathy Ross, and Mike Pears;
- a session of 'receptive ecumenism' with Fiona Thomas (URC), Greg Ryan (Catholic), and Dave Newton (Pentecostal);
- inter-faith insights from Miriam Lorie, who works in Jewish leadership education;
- a paper from Paul Murray, Professor of Systematic Theology in Durham University;
- input from Lynne Cullens, Selina Stone, Sanjee Perera, Shemil Mathew and others;
- a range of other discussions and workshops on the conference theme;
- a chance to find out about the latest developments in practice and research from around our networks.
The conference will start with lunch on Monday 15th July, and run through to lunch on Wednesday 17th July.
We expect the majority of delegates to select the ‘Two-night package’ when booking, which will include accommodation on the Monday and Tuesday evenings, and all meals and conference sessions.
However we have a small number of rooms available on Sunday or Wednesday nights should transport restrictions mean that you will need to stay an extra night (Select the ‘Three night package’ and then the relevant evenings). Please note that all of the rooms are single en-suite rooms.
Those who are local are welcome to attend as day guests only – please select the ‘Day package’ option on the booking form.
The conference will be held at Durham University.
This is a joint meeting of the Common Awards Staff Conference and the Theological Educators’ Network
Please note that, because of the way that our funding works, the conference is free for Common Awards staff (all core and associate staff who are or expect to be involved in teaching or assessing Common Awards programmes in the designated Common Awards TEIs).
For other attendees, including members of Theological Educator's Network and the Ministry Development networks who do not teach or assess Common Awards programmes, there is a charge for board and lodging:
- TEN - 1 Night Package (£105.71): Includes meals and bed & breakfast accommodation
- TEN - 2 Night Package (£176.42): Includes meals and two nights' bed & breakfast accommodation
- TEN- 3 Night Package (£247.13): Includes meals and three nights' bed & breakfast accommodation
- TEN/CMD - Day Delegate Package (£64.05 Mon or Tue, £49.90 Wed): Includes catering on days selected