Theology Conference BAME Bursary
Society for the Study of Theology (SST) and British and Irish Association of Practical Theology (BIAPT) BAME Bursary
Information for Common Awards applicants
Durham University is delighted to partner with SST and BIAPT in offering top-ups to their BAME bursary scheme.
The bursary is intended to facilitate the participation of those who identify as Black, Asian, and Minority Ethnic (BAME) to participate in and contribute to their annual conferences, by helping them meet the costs of attending the conference (the conference fee, meals and accommodation).
The scheme works in two stages.
1. Apply to the SST or BIAPT for the bursary, through their respective webpages, where you will find further information on how to do so once conference bookings are open. Successful applicants will be awarded bursaries of at least £200 (supported by funding from the Susanna Wesley Foundation). The SST has published information about its annual conference and how to apply for the BAME bursary here: https://www.theologysociety.org.uk/conference/. BIAPT will publish further information soon, on their website: https://www.biapt.org/events/2020-annual-conference/
2. If successful, applicants who fulfil the criteria below can apply to Durham University to ‘top up’ the bursary by a further £100. Durham University is offering up to three bursary top-ups of £100 to support people attending one of these conferences and so further their academic development. Bursaries will be awarded on a first come first served basis. In any given year, those successful in their application for a top-up for one conference will not be considered for a top-up for the other.
Are you eligible?
- You must identify as BAME.
- You must be domiciled in the UK.
- You must have evidence that you have been awarded an SST or BIAPT bursary.
You must also be either
- A current postgraduate student registered on a Common Awards programme at one of the partcipipating Theological Education Institutions;
- A member of staff (core or associate) involved in the delivery of any Common Awards programme at a participating Theological Education Institution.
How to apply for the top-up
If you have been awarded a BIAPT or SST bursary, as described above, please email evidence of that award to firstname.lastname@example.org, stating clearly that you are applying for a top-up to your bursary. If any of our three top-ups remain at that point, we will notify you, ask for further details, and make arrangements for payment.