Welcome to St Mary's College
Established in 1899, St Mary's is Durham's third oldest College. Originally founded as a pioneering women-only College, our community is now mixed and comprises around 750 undergraduate members and 150 postgraduates. We also have a cohort of part-time distance learning students (c 400). We are a relatively small, traditional, warm and friendly College situated in a great location. Our neoclassical buildings and extensive grounds provide a beautiful environment in which to live and study. We offer outstanding levels of pastoral support and opportunities for academic success. We combine the very best elements of Durham.
Why choose St Mary's College?
A diverse and friendly community: Warm and accepting, St Mary's is renowned in Durham as being one of the friendliest colleges. Wherever in the world and whatever background you are from, St Mary's will welcome you.
Traditional and dynamic: We are modern and dynamic in our outlook, encouraging our students to cultivate new interests, societies and initiatives, yet we still very much value our heritage and traditions. We hold gowned formal meals with some of the best food anywhere in the University.
- A brilliant location: As the closest 'Hill College' to the main University Library and Science Site, and the nearest 'Hill College' to the city centre, St Mary's students enjoy one of the best sites in the University with an inspiring view of the Cathedral.
- Vibrant and active: There are always things to get involved with at Mary's. We are especially known for our activity in the arts and music and have a very high participation rate in sport. We are proud of our extensive achievements in volunteering in the local community through organisations such as Student Community Action and Durham University Charities Kommittee (DUCK).
To choose St Mary's as your preferred college, you need to express a preference for St Mary's College on your online University application form - www.dur.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/apply/
This is what our students say about us...
"The college is one big family. Everyone is friendly and welcoming, willing to help out one another and loyal to the end."
"Without a doubt St Mary's has the friendliest atmosphere and the strongest college spirit."
"St Mary's is incredibly welcoming and open. You can join any club and instantly find a support network. The pastoral care is excellent."
"I love the openness and space that college provides, not just physically but also figuratively. I made great friends here, that I'm sure will last a life time!"
Comments from the 2010-2011 Student Experience Survey
Sabbatical Development Officer at St Mary’s College
- Are you a final-year student at St Mary’s?
- Have you loved the College and University experience?
- Would you relish the chance to develop the College for future generations of students?
- Do you enjoy working with people of all ages who are also passionate about their College?
If the answer to all of these questions is “Yes”, then why not apply to become the second St Mary’s Sabbatical Development Officer?
In this role, you would:
- work closely with the Principal, the Colleges Liaison Officer and the University’s Development and Alumni Relations Office (DARO) on specified development and fundraising projects;
- have the opportunity to create networks of College alumni; and
- arrange events and reunions, providing you with the opportunity to meet past generations of Mary’s graduates.
The post salary is University Grade 3 (point 6, £15.456) less the cost of part-catered accommodation in College (£300 per calendar month) for a fixed-term period of one year starting on September 1st 2014. You would also receive a package of training in alumni relations and fundraising from the DARO team.
For link to a full job description and person specification visit the St Mary’s see below.
Closing date will be 14th March 2014.
For informal enquiries, please contact the Principal, Professor Simon Hackett, by email (email@example.com) or make an appointment to see him via his PA, Carole Laverick in the College Office.
Letter of application and CV should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5.00 pm on 14th March 2014.
Select an image to view it full size, with a description (if available).
College Calendar for Sale £4.00 each plus £1.00 postage and packing.
Please contact Carole Laverick, PA to the Principal to order (email: email@example.com or by phone 0191 3345963)
Elvet Hill Road
+44 (0)191 334 5719
Take a look around...
Watch our St Mary's College film
- @NiallOddy @StMarysJCR Advert for Vice Principal, Assistant Vice Principal and Senior Student Support Officer posts will be out next week
Tweeted Sat, 08 Mar 2014 18:19:45 +0000
- Happy International Women's Day to all the amazing women who have graced St Mary's over the years.
Tweeted Sat, 08 Mar 2014 16:01:37 +0000
- Looking forward to seeing students, friends and alumni come together at Masquerade Ball tonight. It looks sure to be a fantastic evening!
Tweeted Fri, 28 Feb 2014 09:31:21 +0000