Welcome to St Mary's College
Established in 1899, St Mary's is Durham's third oldest College. Originally founded as a pioneering women-only College, our community is now mixed and comprises around 750 undergraduate members and 150 postgraduates. We also have a cohort of part-time distance learning students (c 400). We are a relatively small, traditional, warm and friendly College situated in a great location. Our neoclassical buildings and extensive grounds provide a beautiful environment in which to live and study. We offer outstanding levels of pastoral support and opportunities for academic success. We combine the very best elements of Durham.
Why choose St Mary's College?
A diverse and friendly community: Warm and accepting, St Mary's is renowned in Durham as being one of the friendliest colleges. Wherever in the world and whatever background you are from, St Mary's will welcome you.
Traditional and dynamic: We are modern and dynamic in our outlook, encouraging our students to cultivate new interests, societies and initiatives, yet we still very much value our heritage and traditions. We hold gowned formal meals with some of the best food anywhere in the University.
- A brilliant location: As the closest 'Hill College' to the main University Library and Science Site, and the nearest 'Hill College' to the city centre, St Mary's students enjoy one of the best sites in the University with an inspiring view of the Cathedral.
- Vibrant and active: There are always things to get involved with at Mary's. We are especially known for our activity in the arts and music and have a very high participation rate in sport. We are proud of our extensive achievements in volunteering in the local community through organisations such as Student Community Action and Durham University Charities Kommittee (DUCK).
To choose St Mary's as your preferred college, you need to express a preference for St Mary's College on your online University application form - www.dur.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/apply/
This is what our students say about us...
"The college is one big family. Everyone is friendly and welcoming, willing to help out one another and loyal to the end."
"Without a doubt St Mary's has the friendliest atmosphere and the strongest college spirit."
"St Mary's is incredibly welcoming and open. You can join any club and instantly find a support network. The pastoral care is excellent."
"I love the openness and space that college provides, not just physically but also figuratively. I made great friends here, that I'm sure will last a life time!"
Comments from the 2010-2011 Student Experience Survey
Sabbatical Development Officer at St Mary’s College
- Are you a final-year student at St Mary’s?
- Have you loved the College and University experience?
- Would you relish the chance to develop the College for future generations of students?
- Do you enjoy working with people of all ages who are also passionate about their College?
If the answer to all of these questions is “Yes”, then why not apply to become the third St Mary’s Sabbatical Development Officer?
In this role, you would:
- work closely with the Principal, the Colleges Liaison Officer and the University’s Development and Alumni Relations Office (DARO) on specified development and fundraising projects;
- have the opportunity to create networks of College alumni; and
- arrange events and reunions, providing you with the opportunity to meet past generations of Mary’s graduates.
The post salary is University Grade 3 (point 6, £15,765) less the cost of part-catered accommodation in College (£300 per calendar month) for a fixed-term period of one year starting on September 1st 2015. You would also receive a package of training in alumni relations and fundraising from the DARO team.
For link to a full job description and person specification visit the St Mary’s website (front page).
Closing date will be 8 May 2015
For informal enquiries, please contact either Harriet Batchelor (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Professor Simon Hackett, by email (email@example.com) or make an appointment to see Simon via his PA, Carole Laverick in the College Office.
Letter of application and CV should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5.00 pm on Friday 8 May 2015. Interviews will be held on the morning of Monday 1 June.
Elvet Hill Road
+44 (0)191 334 5719
What did #MyDUsport do for you?
St Mary's Facebook
St Mary's Twitter
- Next Thursday evening we are celebrating a decade as a mixed college on the Thames! 9 out of the last 10 JCR presidents will be there! Wow
Tweeted Fri, 03 Jul 2015 22:31:08 +0100
- Principal and two Presidents. #theressomethingaboutmarys http://t.co/O4TSnEFXHQ
Tweeted Fri, 26 Jun 2015 22:03:15 +0100
- The end of a lovely but long week of graduations. Bye bye all of you lovely people. #justanotherkindofliverout http://t.co/VOQUkLXf5c
Tweeted Fri, 26 Jun 2015 20:42:43 +0100