Welcome to St Mary's College
Established in 1899, St Mary's is Durham's third oldest College. Originally founded as a pioneering women-only College, our community is now mixed and comprises around 750 undergraduate members and 150 postgraduates. We also have a cohort of part-time distance learning students (c 400). We are a relatively small, traditional, warm and friendly College situated in a great location. Our neoclassical buildings and extensive grounds provide a beautiful environment in which to live and study. We offer outstanding levels of pastoral support and opportunities for academic success. We combine the very best elements of Durham.
Why choose St Mary's College?
A diverse and friendly community: Warm and accepting, St Mary's is renowned in Durham as being one of the friendliest colleges. Wherever in the world and whatever background you are from, St Mary's will welcome you.
Traditional and dynamic: We are modern and dynamic in our outlook, encouraging our students to cultivate new interests, societies and initiatives, yet we still very much value our heritage and traditions. We hold gowned formal meals with some of the best food anywhere in the University.
- A brilliant location: As the closest 'Hill College' to the main University Library and Science Site, and the nearest 'Hill College' to the city centre, St Mary's students enjoy one of the best sites in the University with an inspiring view of the Cathedral.
- Vibrant and active: There are always things to get involved with at Mary's. We are especially known for our activity in the arts and music and have a very high participation rate in sport. We are proud of our extensive achievements in volunteering in the local community through organisations such as Student Community Action and Durham University Charities Kommittee (DUCK).
To choose St Mary's as your preferred college, you need to express a preference for St Mary's College on your online University application form - www.dur.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/apply/
This is what our students say about us...
"The college is one big family. Everyone is friendly and welcoming, willing to help out one another and loyal to the end."
"Without a doubt St Mary's has the friendliest atmosphere and the strongest college spirit."
"St Mary's is incredibly welcoming and open. You can join any club and instantly find a support network. The pastoral care is excellent."
"I love the openness and space that college provides, not just physically but also figuratively. I made great friends here, that I'm sure will last a life time!"
Comments from the 2010-2011 Student Experience Survey
Elvet Hill Road
+44 (0)191 334 5719
What did #MyDUsport do for you?
St Mary's Facebook
St Mary's Twitter
- The Room Ballot for next term is in full swing here in College!
Tweeted Wed, 04 Mar 2015 16:12:36 +0000
- Congratulations to Joan Kenworthy (Principal 1977-1999) for winning the Jehuda Neumann Memorial Prize for her work on history of meteorology
Tweeted Wed, 04 Mar 2015 08:07:00 +0000
- 13th March we are holding our first 'Friends' Formal'- a chance for parents picking up students to experience #theressomethingaboutmarys
Tweeted Wed, 04 Mar 2015 08:03:13 +0000