Welcome to St Mary's College
Established in 1899, St Mary's is Durham's third oldest College. Originally founded as a pioneering women-only College, our community is now mixed and comprises around 750 undergraduate members and 150 postgraduates. We also have a cohort of part-time distance learning students (c 300). We are a relatively small, traditional, warm and friendly College situated in a great location. Our neoclassical buildings and extensive grounds provide a beautiful environment in which to live and study. We offer outstanding levels of pastoral support and opportunities for academic success. We combine the very best elements of Durham.
Why choose St Mary's College?
A diverse and friendly community: Warm and accepting,St Mary's is known in Durham as being one of the friendliest colleges. Wherever in the world and whatever background you are from, St Mary's will welcome you.
Traditional and dynamic: We are modern and dynamic in our outlook, encouraging our students to cultivate new interests, societies and initiatives, yet we still very much value our heritage and traditions. We hold gowned formal meals with some of the best food anywhere in the University.
- A brilliant location: Our College is excellently placed for the central student services located in the University's Palatine Centre, the University's Bill Bryson Library, and many academic departments. It is little more than a mile away from the University Sports Centre and within easy access to the City centre. All this coupled with beautiful grounds and an inspiring view of Durham Cathedral.
- Vibrant and active: There are always things to get involved with at Mary's. We are especially known for our activity in the arts and music and have a very high participation rate in sport. We are proud of our student engagement with volunteering in the local community through organisations such as Student Community Action and Durham University Charities Kommittee (DUCK).
To choose St Mary's as your preferred college, you need to add 'M' on your UCAS form in the College campus code section.
To choose St Mary's as your preferred college, you need to express a preference for St Mary's College on your online University application form - www.dur.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/apply/
This is what our students say about us...
"The college is one big family. Everyone is friendly and welcoming, willing to help out one another and loyal to the end."
"Without a doubt St Mary's has the friendliest atmosphere and the strongest college spirit."
"St Mary's is incredibly welcoming and open. You can join any club and instantly find a support network. The pastoral care is excellent."
"I love the openness and space that college provides, not just physically but also figuratively. I made great friends here, that I'm sure will last a life time!"
Comments from the 2010-2011 Student Experience Survey
Elvet Hill Road
+44 (0)191 334 5719
Results Day 2016
St Mary's College
A place for all Marians to keep in touch with what's happening at college and beyond. Any queries, please contact email@example.com https://t.co/K2jyQbcyp9
- Our new cohort of students should by now have received an owl delivered letter from the Principal. https://t.co/hbaqP2ddgO
Tweeted Sun, 21 Aug 2016 13:19:40 +0100
- Huge congratulations to all of you getting #alevelresults today! We are so excited to welcome… https://t.co/MFcdJ3YHOJ
Tweeted Thu, 18 Aug 2016 09:22:58 +0100
- Congratulations to all getting A Level results today. If you are heading to Mary's, we are so excited to welcome you to our community.
Tweeted Thu, 18 Aug 2016 08:14:56 +0100