Welcome to St Mary's College
Established in 1899, St Mary's is Durham's third oldest College. Originally founded as a pioneering women-only College, our community is now mixed and comprises around 750 undergraduate members and 150 postgraduates. We also have a cohort of part-time distance learning students (c 300). We are a relatively small, traditional, warm and friendly College situated in a great location. Our neoclassical buildings and extensive grounds provide a beautiful environment in which to live and study. We offer outstanding levels of pastoral support and opportunities for academic success. We combine the very best elements of Durham.
Why choose St Mary's College?
A diverse and friendly community: Warm and accepting,St Mary's is known in Durham as being one of the friendliest colleges. Wherever in the world and whatever background you are from, St Mary's will welcome you.
Traditional and dynamic: We are modern and dynamic in our outlook, encouraging our students to cultivate new interests, societies and initiatives, yet we still very much value our heritage and traditions. We hold gowned formal meals with some of the best food anywhere in the University.
- A brilliant location: Our College is excellently placed for the central student services located in the University's Palatine Centre, the University's Bill Bryson Library, and many academic departments. It is little more than a mile away from the University Sports Centre and within easy access to the City centre. All this coupled with beautiful grounds and an inspiring view of Durham Cathedral.
- Vibrant and active: There are always things to get involved with at Mary's. We are especially known for our activity in the arts and music and have a very high participation rate in sport. We are proud of our student engagement with volunteering in the local community through organisations such as Student Community Action and Durham University Charities Kommittee (DUCK).
To choose St Mary's as your preferred college, you need to add 'M' on your UCAS form in the College campus code section.
To choose St Mary's as your preferred college, you need to express a preference for St Mary's College on your online University application form - www.dur.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/apply/
This is what our students say about us...
"The college is one big family. Everyone is friendly and welcoming, willing to help out one another and loyal to the end."
"Without a doubt St Mary's has the friendliest atmosphere and the strongest college spirit."
"St Mary's is incredibly welcoming and open. You can join any club and instantly find a support network. The pastoral care is excellent."
"I love the openness and space that college provides, not just physically but also figuratively. I made great friends here, that I'm sure will last a life time!"
Comments from the 2010-2011 Student Experience Survey
Development Officer for St Mary’s College
- Are you a final-year student at St Mary’s College?
- Have you loved the University and College experience?
- Would you relish the chance to spend one more year in St Mary’s?
- Do you enjoy working with people of all ages who are also passionate about their College?
- Are you interested in event management?
- Would you enjoy the challenge of ensuring future generations of students continue to enjoy one of the finest educational experiences in the world?
If the answer to all of these questions is “Yes”, then why not apply to become the fourth St Mary’s Development Officer?
In this role, you would:
Work as part of the core College team to develop the College experience for current students and alumni
- Develop the College social media and web presence, ensuring the profile of the College is raised internally and externally
- Organise a number of events relating to alumni and the development of the College;
- Work closely with the Principal and the University’s Development and Alumni Relations Office (DARO) on specified projects;
- Arrange major reunion events, providing you with the opportunity to meet past generations of St Mary’s College graduates.
The post salary is University Grade 3 (point 6, £16,017) less the cost of part-catered accommodation in College (£300 per calendar month) for a fixed-term period of one year starting on August 15th 2016. You would also receive a package of training in alumni relations and fundraising from the DARO team.
For informal enquiries, including job description please contact the current Development Officer, Hannah Mills by email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Applications should be sent to the Principal, Professor Simon Hackett who is also happy to discuss the post informally or answer queries prior to your application if required. To apply, please email email@example.com with your current CV and a letter of application outlining your vision for the role and explaining how you meet the criteria on the person specification. The closing date for applications is 5pm Friday 15th April 2016.
Interviews will be held on the afternoon of 27th April 2016.
Elvet Hill Road
+44 (0)191 334 5719
What did #MyDUsport do for you?
St Mary's Facebook
St Mary's Twitter
St Mary's College
A place for all Marians to keep in touch with what's happening at college and beyond. Any queries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org https://t.co/K2jyQbcyp9
- A huge thank you to all of the alumni who joined us for dinner and drinks in Leeds last week! https://t.co/8KTvKGJ29S
Tweeted Wed, 25 May 2016 12:23:07 +0100
- @psych_n_stuff @mcleish_t yes, and for @simonjhackett for his brilliant table plan
Tweeted Tue, 24 May 2016 22:28:44 +0100
- Happy IDAHOT everyone https://t.co/lMWHqXYBJ1
Tweeted Tue, 17 May 2016 14:04:11 +0100