We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.

Durham University

St John's College

What to do in an emergency

Emergency services – police, fire or ambulance (emergency only)

Telephone: 999 or 112

If you believe a situation to be an emergency, i.e. you believe that your own safety or that of another individual is at risk, you should notify the emergency services. In the UK, you must dial 999 (or 9999 from an internal phone). Once you are connected to a call handler, you’ll have to answer a series of questions to establish what is wrong, such as:

  • Which service do you require? (Police, ambulance or fire service)
  • What has happened?
  • Where are you (including the area or postcode)?
  • What is the phone number you are calling from?
  • Exactly what has happened?

After contacting the emergency services, if you are able to do so, please also inform the porter or Resident Tutor on duty of the situation if you are on College premises. Any situation involving fire or accident on the College site should always be reported to the porter as a full report must be made of the incident.

If the incident is on the University estate, please contact University Security on 0191 334 2222. They can offer support to ensure that either the Police, Ambulance or Fire Brigade can get to where they need to be on site quickly.

College – Reception, Resident Tutor, and Senior Emergency Officer

Reception telephone: 01913343500

Reception mobile: 07984054044

Reception email:

College emergency number: 08000988084

Resident Tutor mobile: 07903197829 (the emergency number also goes to Resident Tutor's when on duty)

Reception staff should be your first point of contact with any queries or problems. They are on duty 8.00 am - 11.00pm every day except during full College closure (specific days over Christmas and Easter). From 11.00pm, a Resident Tutor is on duty to handle emergencies.

The College operates a duty rota so that a College Officer is always on call should an emergency situation arise within the College or for a College member. The College Officer can be contacted through Reception or Resident Tutor on duty, or by ringing the College emergency number above. The Resident Tutor or Reception will make the decision as to when to contact the College Officer on duty. If Reception or Resident Tutor is able to resolve the situation, a full report will still be made by email so that a College Officer can follow up, as required, on the next working day.

University Security and Incident Control Centre

Calls to this number are answered 24 hours a day, 7 days a week by a trained Security Officer.

Telephone in emergencies: 01913343333

Telephone: 01913342222


Security incident report form

The University’s Incident Control Centre is operating 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, to respond to any incidents, on 0191 334 0000. Calls to this number are answered 24 hours a day, 7 days a week by a trained ICC Operator.

Police (non-emergency)

Telephone: 101

You can also contact Durham Constabulary's Police University Liaison Officer.

NHS 111 (non-emergency medical advice)

Telephone: 111 (Calls are free from landlines and mobile phones.)

NHS 111 is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Call 111 and speak to a highly trained adviser, supported by healthcare professionals. They will ask you a series of questions to assess your symptoms and immediately direct you to the best medical care for you.

Crisis mental health support

If you are worried about your safety and feel at risk of harming yourself please access help immediately through one of these contacts.

Contact us

St John's College 
3 South Bailey 

Opening hours: 08:00 – 23:00

T: +44 (0)191 334 3500


The Samaritans offer a 24/7 listening service for anyone experiencing a mental health crisis. It is anonymous, non-judgmental and available. Call 116 123.

St John's College, Durham is a recognised College of Durham University and incorporates Cranmer Hall. Charity No. 1141701 Limited Company No. 113496 (England and Wales) VAT No. 334 6364 57.