Revd Dr Graham Buxton is an ordained Anglican with extensive pastoral experience in both the UK and Australia. Prior to ordination, he was a lay pastor in an Anglican church in the north of England, following earlier careers as a marketing executive in the oil industry, and a lecturer in a university business school. He emigrated to Australia in 1991 with his wife and three children to take up a teaching position at Tabor Adelaide, where he was instrumental in developing the postgraduate program at the School of Ministry, Theology and Culture.
Now ‘retired’, Graham was the inaugural Director of the Graeme Clark Research Institute at Tabor Adelaide, an initiative established at the college to conduct, facilitate and promote research and development in the broad context of Christian service to the community. He taught in the areas of practical theology, pastoral ministry and the science-theology interface. Graham is a Senior Lecturer in the School of Theology at Flinders University, a Visiting Fellow at St John’s College, Durham University in the UK, a Fellow of ISCAST (Institute for the Study of Christianity in an Age of Science and Technology and now teaches as a professor in the School of Theology at Fuller Theological Seminary in California, USA.
Areas of expertise
Graham’s teaching and research interests are focused on (1) practical theology; (2) an understanding of Christian ministry within the framework of trinitarian theology; (3) the relationship between the science-theology dialogue and Christian pastoral ministry; (4) incarnational and contextual ministry; (5) the sacred-secular divide; and (6) the theology of Jürgen Moltmann.
- Dancing in the Dark: The Privilege of Participating in God’s Ministry in the World (revised edition). Eugene, OR: Wipf & Stock, 2016.
- The Nature of Things: Rediscovering the Spiritual in God’s Creation (edited with Norman Habel). Eugene OR: Wipf & Stock, 2016.
- An Uncertain Certainty: Snapshots in a Journey from ‘Either-or’ to ‘Both-and’ in Christian Ministry. Eugene OR: Wipf & Stock, 2014.
- G Buxton, C Mulherin & M Worthing, God and Science in Classroom and Pulpit. Mosaic Press, Melbourne, 2012.
- Celebrating Life: Beyond the Sacred-Secular Divide. Milton Keynes: Paternoster, 2007.
- The Trinity, Creation and Pastoral Ministry: Imaging the Perichoretic God. Milton Keynes: Paternoster, 2005.
- Dancing in the Dark: The Privilege of Participating in the Ministry of Christ. Carlisle UK: Paternoster, 2001.
Recent book chapters include
· J M Luetz, G Buxton and K Bangert, ‘Hermeneutical and Eschatological Perspectives on Environmental Sustainability and Creation Care – The Role of Holistic Education’, in Luetz, J M, Dowden, T, Norsworthy, B (eds) Reimagining Christian Education: Cultivating Transformative Approaches. Springer Nature, Singapore, 2018. · ‘Moltmann on creation’ in Sung Wook Chung (ed.), Jürgen Moltmann and Evangelical Theology: A Critical Engagement, Wipf & Stock (Pickwick Publications), Eugene OR., 2012. · ‘In praise of mystery’ in J T Butler & F W Bridger (eds.), Conversations at the Edges of Things, Wipf & Stock (Pickwick Publications), Eugene OR., 2012.