Accommodation at St John's is varied and full of character. Some of our buildings are historic, listed buildings while others are more modern and purpose built. All undergraduates are housed in buildings on the Bailey, with many enjoying views of the Cathedral or across the River Wear.
All first year undergraduate students are offered College accommodation; almost all second year students live out in privately owned accommodation; and many of our third and fourth year students return to College for their last year. In exceptional circumstances, we may offer accommodation to second year students with an evidenced medical need.
We have around 200 undergraduate spaces and 26 postgraduate rooms. Most of our rooms are single, standard – with a single bed and shared bathroom and toilet – but we have 42 ensuite rooms, and 16 shared rooms with two single beds, and some rooms with double beds. All bedrooms are fitted with a bed, bin, storage facilities, a desk and chair, and all but two have a sink. We have some accessible accommodation – contact us for more information.
St John's College adopts the University's pricing for College accommodation, with some modifications to additional charges and discounts. These include not imposing additional charges for 3/4 and double beds, and not providing discounts for rooms with no sink.
- License to Occupy 2019-20 St Johns College (last modified: 10 July 2019)
Included in the College accommodation package
- Fully catered (three meals a day) accommodation during the undergraduate term
- Accommodation during University vacations (room only, no catering)*
- Wi-Fi throughout the College
- Cleaning of your room
- No additional gas, electricity or water bills to pay
- Free laundry facilities (washing machines, dryers, ironing boards and irons).
* With the exception of students resident in Cruddas block. This block is used for conferences during vacations and College may exercise a buy-back option.
There is a bike shed located behind The Garth for use by undergraduates and postgraduates throughout the year. Bikes stored here must be registered with the maintenance team.
Beds in College bedrooms have under bed storage which can be used securely by borrowing a lock from reception. There are also storage cupboards throughout College which can be used during vacations.
Student accommodation at St John’s is subject to the Universities UK Code of Practice, which sets standards for residential student accommodation throughout the UK.