St John’s is a College, founded to the glory of God, with a rich Anglican heritage, open to all, providing a distinctive Christian perspective and environment in Higher Education, and seeking to develop vocation in all. We are committed to:
- nurturing excellence and aspiration in research, education and the formation of the whole person
- seeing people as our primary resource, and building a rich corporate life in community
- training church leaders in theology and ministry
- sustaining the College’s resources in terms of finance, buildings, environment and location on the Bailey
- being a College within Durham University, recognising both our independence and interdependence
- valuing our location in the North East of England
- communicating knowledge and learning to society and church
- embodying and working for social justice
- being one College, seeking to find strength in the dynamic complexity of undergraduate and postgraduate education, ministerial formation and research initiatives.
Our values are shaped by the Christian heritage which is our foundation. Thus we value virtues such as truth and integrity and wisdom, and many other precious parts of our inheritance. We understand ourselves to be marked by four particular values, though, which shape our common life and to which we continually aspire. These are:
- Learning – in every sphere of life; wisdom, research, formation, skilfulness and artistic creation.
- Excellence – aspiring to be the best we can be in all that we are and do, to the greater good and the furthering of the college
- Justice – seeking equity and right in the personal, institutional, societal, and academic spheres
- Hospitality – valuing others, respecting them, and seeking to live joyfully in generosity and welcome.
The Principal's Office
St John's College
3 South Bailey
Office hours: 9:00–4:30pm
T: 0191 334 3856