St John's College Council
Council is the governing body for the College. The accountable body is St John’s College Charity and Limited Company – Charity number 1141701 and Limited Company No 113496 (England and Wales) VAT No 334 6364 57. Council members are company directors registered with Companies House and charity trustees as defined by section 97 of the Charities Act 1993.
Cranmer Committee oversees Cranmer business and reports to College Council. Cranmer has a Board of Studies and Board of Examiners. Degrees are awarded by Durham University. Cranmer is quality assured both by the University and by the Church of England.
St John’s relation to Durham University
St John’s College is also a recognised college in the University’s statutes and has a duty to maintain this status:
Extract from Durham University Statutes
The University Council:
(2) shall, subject to the provisions of these Statutes, continue to recognise as Colleges of the University, St Chad's College and St John's College and may recognise other Colleges in the County of Durham as recognised Colleges in the University. The Council shall have no property in or financial responsibility for the recognised Colleges;
14. The following provisions shall apply to the recognised Colleges and to Licensed Halls of Residence:-
(1) The appointment of the Head shall require the approval of the (University) Council;
(2) Recognised Colleges and Licensed Halls of Residence shall be open to inspection by or on behalf of the (University) Council;
(3) The recognition of any of the recognised Colleges or Licensed Halls of Residence may be withdrawn by the (University) Council if the foregoing provisions are infringed;
(4) Any proposed change in the constitution or instrument of government of recognised Colleges or Licensed Halls of Residence shall be notified to the (University) Council;
(5) The University Council may from time to time or at any time withdraw recognition from any one or more of the recognised Colleges or Licensed Halls of Residence if in its opinion changes have been made in its or their constitution or conduct which unfavourably affect its or their status in the University.
Cycle of business
St John’s College Council meets four times a year in September, December, March and June. The September meeting is usually devoted largely to student matters. The December meeting is extended to include a strategy workshop with other members of College. The March meeting is largely Cranmer business and June is when draft budgets are agreed for the following year.
The Principal's Office
St John's College
3 South Bailey
Office hours: 9:00–4:30pm
T: 0191 334 3856