Publication details for Paul MansfieldEdwards, James P. & Mansfield, Paul (2015). QED as the tensionless limit of the spinning string with contact interaction. Physics Letters B 746: 335-340.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 0370-2693 (print)
- DOI: 10.1016/j.physletb.2015.05.024
- Keywords: Quantum electrodynamics, String theory, Tensionless limit.
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
QED with spinor matter is argued to correspond to the tensionless limit of spinning strings with contact interactions. The strings represent electric lines of force with charges at their ends. The interaction is constructed from a delta-function on the world-sheet which, although off-shell, decouples from the world-sheet metric. Integrating out the string degrees of freedom with fixed boundary generates the super-Wilson loop that couples spinor matter to electromagnetism in the world-line formalism. World-sheet and world-line, but not spacetime, supersymmetry underpin the model.