Publication details for Professor Emeritus Paul MansfieldMansfield, Paul (2012). Faraday's Lines of Force as Strings: from Gauss' Law to the Arrow of Time. Journal of High Energy Physics 2012(10): 149.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 1126-6708, 1029-8479
- DOI: 10.1007/JHEP10(2012)149
- Keywords: Field Theories in Lower Dimensions, Bosonic Strings.
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
- View in another repository - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
We reformulate classical electromagnetism as the statistical mechanics of lines of electric flux with dynamics described by the string action in four dimensions. The retarded solution to Maxwell’s equations emerges naturally as an average over a microcanonical ensemble of these lines of force at high temperature.