Publication details for Professor Emeritus Paul MansfieldMansfield, P. (1994). Continuum strong-coupling expansion of Yang-Mills theory: quark confinement and infra-red slavery. Nuclear Physics B 418(1-2): 113-130.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 0550-3213
- DOI: 10.1016/0550-3213(94)90240-2
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
- View in another repository - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
We solve Schrödinger's equation for the ground-state of four-dimensional Yang-Mills theory as an expansion in inverse powers of the coupling. Expectation values computed with the leading-order approximation are reduced to a calculation in two-dimensional Yang-Mills theory which is known to confine. Consequently the Wilson loop in the four-dimensional theory obeys an area law to leading order and the coupling becomes infinite as the mass scale goes to zero.