Publication details for Paul MansfieldMansfield, P. (1995). The vacuum functional at large distances. Physics Letters B 358(3-4): 287-296.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 0370-2693
- DOI: 10.1016/0370-2693(95)01007-D
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
- View in another repository - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
For fields that vary slowly on the scale of the lightest mass the logarithm of the vacuum functional can be expanded as a sum of local functionals, however, this does not satisfy the obvious form of the Schrödinger equation. For ϕ4 theory we construct the appropriate equation that this expansion does satisfy. This reduces the eigenvalue problem for the Hamiltonian to a set of algebraic equations. We suggest two approaches to their solution. The first is equivalent to the usual semi-classical expansion whilst the other is a new scheme that may also be applied to theories that are classically massless but in which mass is generated quantum mechanically.