Publication details for Professor Emeritus Paul MansfieldMansfield, P. & Pachos, J. (1996). The O(N) σ-model Laplacian. Physics Letters B 365(1-4): 169-174.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 0370-2693
- DOI: 10.1016/0370-2693(95)01333-4
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
- View in another repository - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
For fields that vary slowly on the scale of the lightest mass the logarithm of the vacuum functional of a massive quantum field theory can be expanded in terms of local functionals satisfying a form of the Schrödinger equation, the principal ingredient of which is a regulated functional Laplacian. We construct to leading order a Laplacian for the O(N) σ-model that acts on such local functionals. It is determined by imposing rotational invariance in the internal space together with closure of the Poincaré algebra.