Publication details for Paul MansfieldMansfield, P., Pachos, J. & Sampaio, M. (1998). Short distance properties from large distance behaviour. International Journal of Modern Physics A 13(23): 4101-4122.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 0217-751X, 1793-656X
- DOI: 10.1142/S0217751X9800192X
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- View in another repository - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
For slowly varying fields the vacuum functional of a quantum field theory may be expanded in terms of local functionals. This expansion satisfies its own form of the Schrödinger equation from which the expansion coefficients can be found. For scalar field theory in 1+1 dimensions we show that this approach correctly reproduces the short-distance properties as contained in the counterterms. We also describe an approximate simplification that occurs for the sine–Gordon and sinh–Gordon vacuum functionals.