Publication details for Paul MansfieldMansfield, P. (1996). Reconstructing the vacuum functional of Yang-Mills from its large distance behaviour. Physics Letters B 365(1-4): 207-212.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 0370-2693
- DOI: 10.1016/0370-2693(95)01332-6
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
- View in another repository - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
For fields that vary slowly on the scale of the lightest mass the logarithm of the vacuum functional can be expanded as a sum of local functionals. For Yang-Mills theory the leading term in the expansion dominates large distance effects and leads to an area law for the Wilson loop. However, this expansion cannot be expected to converge for fields that vary more rapidly. By studying the analyticity of the vacuum functional under scale transformations we show how to re-sum this series so as to reconstruct the vacuum functional for arbitrary fields.