Publication details for Ruth GregoryO'Callaghan, Eimear, Chadburn, Sarah, Geshnizjani, Ghazal, Gregory, Ruth & Zavala, Ivonne (2010). Effect of extra dimensions on gravitational waves from cosmic strings. Physical Review Letters 105(8): 081602.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 0031-9007, 1079-7114
- DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevLett.105.081602
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
We show how the motion of cosmic superstrings in extra dimensions can modify the gravitational wave signal from cusps. Additional dimensions both round off cusps, as well as reducing the probability of their formation, and thus give a significant dimension dependent damping of the gravitational waves. We look at the implication of this effect for LIGO and LISA, as well as commenting on more general frequency bands.