Publication details for Ruth GregoryBillam, Thomas P., Gregory, Ruth, Michel, Florent & Moss, Ian G. (2019). Simulating seeded vacuum decay in a cold atom system. Physical Review D 100(6): 065016.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 2470-0010 (print), 2470-0029 (electronic)
- DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevD.100.065016
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
We propose to test the concept of seeded vacuum decay in cosmology using a Bose-Einstein condensate system. The role of the nucleation seed is played by a vortex within the condensate. We present two complementary theoretical analyses that demonstrate seeded decay is the dominant decay mechanism of the falsevacuum. First, we adapt the standard instanton methods to the Gross-Pitaevskii equation. Second, we use the truncated Wigner method to study vacuum decay.