Publication details for Patrick DoreyDorey, Patrick, Romanczukiewicz, Tomasz & Shnir, Yakov (2020). Staccato radiation from the decay of large amplitude oscillons. Physics Letters B 806: 135497.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 0370-2693
- DOI: 10.1016/j.physletb.2020.135497
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
- View in another repository - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
We study the decay of large amplitude, almost periodic breather-like states in a deformed sine-Gordon model in one spatial dimension. We discover that these objects decay in a staggered fashion via a series of transitions, during which higher harmonics are released as short, staccato bursts of radiation. Further, we argue that this phenomenon is not restricted to one particular model, and that similar mechanisms of radiative decay of long-lived oscillating states can be observed for a wide class of physical systems, including the model.