Publication details for Peter CraigCraig, Peter (2007). A new reconstruction of multivariate normal orthant probabilities. Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B (Statistical Methodology) 70(1): 227-243.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 1369-7412, 1467-9868
- DOI: 10.1111/j.1467-9868.2007.00625.x
- Keywords: Multivariate normal distribution; cumulative distribution function; orthant probabilities; polyhedral cones; orthoscheme; fractional fast Fourier transform; multivariate probit model
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
A new method is introduced for geometrically reconstructing orthant probabilities for non-singular multivariate normal distributions. Orthant probabilities are expressed in terms of those for auto-regressive sequences and an efficient method is developed for numerical approximation of the latter. The approach allows more efficient accurate evaluation of the multivariate normal cumulative distribution function than previously, for many situations where the original distribution arises from a graphical model. An implementation is available as a package for the statistical software R and an application is given to multivariate probit models.
Published online 02 Nov 2007