Publication details for Steven AbelAbel, Steven & Kehagias, Alex (2015). Q-branes. Journal of High Energy Physics 2015(11): 096.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 1029-8479 (electronic)
- DOI: 10.1007/JHEP11(2015)096
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
- View in another repository - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
Non-topological solitons (Q-balls) are discussed in some stringy settings. Our main result is that the dielectric D-brane system of Myers admits non-abelian Q-ball solutions on their world-volume, in which N Dp-branes relax to the standard dielectric form outside the Q-ball, but assume a more diffuse configuration at its centre. We also consider how Q-balls behave in the bulk of extra-dimensional theories, or on wrapped branes. We demonstrate that they carry Kaluza-Klein charge and possess a corresponding Kaluza-Klein tower of states just as normal particles, and we discuss surface energy effects by finding exact Q-ball solutions in models with a specific logarithmic potential.