Publication details for Anne TaorminaEnglert, F., Houart, L., Taormina, A. & West, P. (2003). The symmetry of M-theories. Journal of High Energy Physics 2003(09): 020.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 1126-6708, 1029-8479
- DOI: 10.1088/1126-6708/2003/09/020
- Keywords: M-Theory, String Duality, Space-Time Symmetries, Classical Theories of Gravity
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
We consider the Cartan subalgebra of any very extended algebra Script G+++ where Script G is a simple Lie algebra and let the parameters be space-time fields. These are identified with diagonal metrics and dilatons. Using the properties of the algebra, we find that for all very extensions Script G+++ of simple Lie algebras there are theories of gravity and matter, which admit classical solutions carrying representations of the Weyl group of Script G+++. We also identify the T and S-dualities of superstrings and of the bosonic string with Weyl reflections and outer automorphisms of well-chosen very extended algebras and we exhibit specific features of the very extensions. We take these results as indication that very extended algebras underlie symmetries of any consistent theory of gravity and matter, and might encode basic information for the construction of such theory.