Publication details for Balt van ReesHogevorst, M., Rychkov, S. & van Rees, B.C. (2016). Unitarity violation at the Wilson-Fisher fixed point in 4-epsilon dimensions. Physical Review D 93(12): 125025.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 2470-0010, 2470-0029
- DOI: 10.1103/PhysRevD.93.125025
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
- View in another repository - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
We consider the continuation of free and interacting scalar field theory to noninteger spacetime dimension d. We find that the correlation functions in these theories are necessarily incompatible with unitarity (or with reflection positivity in Euclidean signature). In particular, the theories contain negative-norm states unless d is a positive integer. These negative-norm states can be obtained via the operator product expansion from simple positive-norm operators, and are therefore an integral part of the theory. At the Wilson-Fisher fixed point the nonunitarity leads to the existence of complex anomalous dimensions. We demonstrate that they appear already at leading order in the epsilon expansion.