Publication details for Tahani Coolen-MaturiCoolen-Maturi, T. & Coolen, F.P.A. (2011). Unobserved, re-defined, unknown or removed failure modes in competing risks. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part O: Journal of Risk and Reliability 225(4): 461-474.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 1748-006X (print), 1748-0078 (electronic)
- DOI: 10.1177/1748006X11401706
- Keywords: Competing risks, Failure modes, Lower and upper probabilities and survival functions, Nonparametric predictive inference, Right-censored data.
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
Recently the nonparametric predictive approach to inference for competing risks was introduced by Maturi et al. (2010, J. Risk Reliab. 224, 11–26). In this paper further results for such inferences are presented, with focus on four important and closely related aspects. First, the effect of defined failure modes which thus far have not yet caused failures is studied. Second, the effect of re-defining (groups of) failure modes is considered, followed by a discussion of possible unknown, so undefined, failure modes. Finally, the effect of removal of failure modes is illustrated.