Publication details for Alexander StasinskiStasinski, A. (2018). Commutators of trace zero matrices over principal ideal rings. Israel Journal of Mathematics 228(1): 211-227.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 0021-2172, 1565-8511
- DOI: 10.1007/s11856-018-1762-5
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
We prove that for every trace zero square matrix A of size at least 3 over a principal ideal ring R, there exist trace zero matrices X, Y over R such that XY−YX = A. Moreover, we show that X can be taken to be regular mod every maximal ideal of R. This strengthens our earlier result that A is a commutator of two matrices (not necessarily of trace zero), and in addition, the present proof is simpler than the earlier one.