Publication details for Anthony YeatesChian, A.C.-L., Rempel, E.L., Aulanier, G., Schmieder, B., Shadden, S.C., Welsch, B.T. & Yeates, A.R. (2014). Detection of coherent structures in photospheric turbulent flows. The Astrophysical Journal 786(1): 51.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 0004-637X, 1538-4357
- DOI: 10.1088/0004-637X/786/1/51
- Keywords: Magnetohydrodynamics (MHD), Sun: magnetic fields, Sun: photosphere, turbulence.
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
We study coherent structures in solar photospheric flows in a plage in the vicinity of the active region AR 10930 using the horizontal velocity data derived from Hinode/Solar Optical Telescope magnetograms. Eulerian and Lagrangian coherent structures (LCSs) are detected by computing the Q-criterion and the finite-time Lyapunov exponents of the velocity field, respectively. Our analysis indicates that, on average, the deformation Eulerian coherent structures dominate over the vortical Eulerian coherent structures in the plage region. We demonstrate the correspondence of the network of high magnetic flux concentration to the attracting Lagrangian coherent structures (aLCSs) in the photospheric velocity based on both observations and numerical simulations. In addition, the computation of aLCS provides a measure of the local rate of contraction/expansion of the flow.