Dr Anca Chirita, LLB, LLM, Dr. iur. (PhD), FHEA, Of Counsel
Anca Chirita joined Durham Law School in 2011 where she convenes Competition Law at both undergraduate and postgraduate level. She is a member of the Senior Common Room at Grey College. During the academic year 2013/14 she was Co-Director of the Durham European Law Institute and during 2012/14 a DAAD visiting fellow at the Max-Planck-Institut für ausländisches und internationales Privatrecht.
Prior to taking up her lectureship, she was a PhD fellow of the German Chancellor Adenauer Foundation at the Europa-Institute, Saarland University, Faculty of Law and Economics. Her PhD in competition law awarded Summa cum laude was examined by Professor Helmuth Schröter (former Hearing Officer and Director at DG Competition, European Commission), Professor Torsten Stein, Professor (emeritus) Günther Hönn and Professor Helmut Rüßmann. Previously, she completed the 'European Integration' LLM programme in Saarbrücken. During her PhD she worked as a trainee with the Monopolies Commission in Bonn (2009) and as a Blue Book trainee with the European Commission in Brussels (2007/08).
Anca's research interest lies primarily in all aspects of competition law, policy, and micro- and macroeconomics. She has presented her research at the following universities: Amsterdam, Beijing, Bonn, Bucharest, Cambridge, Cork, Craiova, Dublin (UC), Hamburg, King's College London, Liverpool, Madrid (IE), Nottingham, Oslo, Paris,The Romanian Academy and Competition Council, Rome (La Sapienza), Rovinj (Croatia), Queen Mary, Saarland (Saarbrücken), University College London, Utrecht, Warwick.
Current research focuses primarily on competition law and social policy, in particular employment theories and austerity; the disclosure of evidence under the Directive 2014/104/EU; the ECJ's rule of precedent in competition cases; consumer rights and privacy in the digital age; the theory and practice of rebates e.g. Intel; and interest rate derivatives cartels (LIBOR).
Past research examined procedural rights in EU mergers; the restructuring of 'Too-Big-to Fail' banks through state aid (audio) in Cambridge Yearbook of European Legal Studies; the historical interpretation of the EU competition rules in International & Comparative Law Quarterly; Google's anti-competitive practices in The Competition Law Review; EU industrial cartels in the German Journal of European Legal Studies, and free movement and competition law.
Her first book published by Nomos (Baden-Baden) on the abuse of a dominant position under Article 102 TFEU won the Dr. Friedrich-Feldbausch-Stiftung Prize for best dissertation at Saarland University in the academic year 2010/11.
I teach Competition Law from a socio-legal and economic perspective: since 2011 as a module convenor of the postgraduate module on Competition Law (LAW 40230) and since 2012 as a module convenor of the undergraduate third-year module on Competition Law (LAW 3011). I supervise LLB and LLM dissertations on Competition Law, including MJur. Module handbooks, detalied handouts, unit materials and e-library are available on DUO. A list of recommended journals is available here. The recommended text is Oxford Competition Law's Bellamy & Child. In 2015 I was invited to act as a panel judge for the Law category of the international The Undergraduate Awards.
Anca is a recipient of numerous academic scholarships, such as the German Academic Exchange Service, Konrad-Adenauer Foundation, Federal Foreign Office (Auswärtiges Amt), LLB (four-year) scholarship for excellent results.
- 2014: China-EU School of Law, China University of Political Science and Law;
- 2012/14: DAAD visiting fellowship;
- 2011: Dr. Friedrich-Feldbausch-Stiftung Prize; Vereinigung der Freunde der Universität des Saarlandes; Konrad Adenauer Stiftung e.V.;
- 2006/10: Konrad-Adenauer doctoral fellowship;
- 2007/08 European Commission Blue Book traineeship;
- 2004/05: Federal Foreign Office Scholarship (Auswärtiges Amt).
- Chirita, Anca D. (2014). Review of Kiran Klaus Patel and Heike Schweitzer (eds), The Historical Foundations of EU Competition Law (Oxford, Oxford University Press, 2013). Irish Journal of European Law 17(1): 145-148.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2015), Consumer Rights, Misleading Advertising and Privacy in the Digital Age, 15th Conference of the International Association of Consumer Law. Centre for the Study of European Contract Law, University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2015), Distribution Agreements & Antitrust Issues at the Working Session on the 'Distribution of Pharmaceuticals and Medical Devices', 53rd Annual Congress of the International Association of Young Lawyers (AIJA). London.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2015), EU Competition Law and Social Policy, Socio-Legal Studies Association Annual Conference. University of Warwick, England.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2015), The Disclosure of Evidence under the Antitrust Damages Directive 2014/104/EU, The 4th Petar Šarčević international scientific conference: EU Competition and State Aid Rules: Interaction between Public and Private Enforcement. Rovinj, Croatia.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2015), The Role of EU Competition Law and Policy in Promoting Solidarity and Combating Austerity, 22nd International Conference of Europeanists: Contradictions: Envisioning European Futures, Council for European Studies, Columbia University. Sciences Po, Paris, France.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2014), 'A Critical Review of Recent Substantive and Procedural Developments in EU Cartels', 10th Annual Conference of the Italian Society of Law and Economics. University of Rome 'La Sapienza', Italy.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2014), EU Cartel Infringements, The Society of Legal Scholars Annual Conference. Nottingham, England.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2014), Google's Anti-competitive and Unfair Practices in Digital Leisure Markets, The Competition Law Scholars Forum (CLaSF) XXIII Workshop, Centre for European Studies, IE Law School. Madrid, Spain.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2014), Procedural Rights in EU Competition Law Procedures – Ex ante Procedures (Mergers), Procedural Rights in Competition Law. China-EU School of Law, China University of Political Science and Law, Beijing, China.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2014), The Interplay between Free Movement of Goods/Services and Competition Law, The Constitutional Implications of Free Movement, European Law Network. University of Oslo, Norway.
Edited works: contributions
- Chirita, Anca D. (Accepted). The EU Free Movement as Seen Through the Lens of Competition Law. In The Constitutional Reach of Free Movement. Andenæs, M., Bekkedal, T. & Pantaleo, L.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2017). The Disclosure of Evidence under the Antitrust Damages Directive 2014/104/EU. In EU Competition and State Aid Rules: Public and Private Enforcement. Tomljenović, V., Bodiroga-Vukobrat, N., Butorac Malnar, V. & Kunda, I. Berlin Heidelberg: Springer. 5.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2016). Procedural Rights in EU Competition Law: Ex-ante Merger Procedures. In Procedural Rights in Competition Law in the EU and China. Cauffman, C. & Hao, Q. Berlin Heidelberg: Springer-Verlag. 35.
Journal papers: academic
- Chirita, Anca D. (2015). Google's Anti-competitive and Unfair Practices in Digital Leisure Markets. Competition Law Review 11(1): 109-131.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2015). The Judicial Review of the European Union Industrial Cartels. Zeitschrift für Europarechtliche Studien: German Journal of European Legal Studies 4: 407-441.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2014). A Legal-Historical Review of the EU Competition Rules. International & Comparative Law Quarterly 63(2): 281-316.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2014). The Impact of the European Union Current Crisis on Law, Policy and Society. Cambridge Yearbook of European Legal Studies 16: 254-288.
Journal papers: online
- Chirita, Anca D. (2014). Recent Developments in EU Cartels. Oxford Competition Law
- Chirita, Anca D. (2013), Competition, Financial Markets and the Economic Crisis, Durham University Pre-sessional Lecture. Josephine Butler College, Durham, England.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2015), Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence Seminar Series, The EU Free Movement of Goods as Seen Through the Lens of Competition Law. King's College London, England.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2014), Joint Liverpool European Law & Liverpool Economic Governance Seminar on European Competition Law, A Legal Historical Review of the European Union Competition Rules. University of Liverpool, England.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2013), The Impact of the European Union Current Crisis on Law, Policy and Society, CELS Lunchtime Seminar Series 2013-2014, Centre for European Legal Studies, Seminar. University of Cambridge, England.