Dr Anca Chirita, LLB, LLM, Dr. iur. (PhD), FHEA, Of Counsel
During the academic year 2013/14 she was Co-Director of the Durham European Law Institute and, during 2012/14, a DAAD visiting fellow at the Max-Planck-Institut für ausländisches und internationales Privatrecht and Europa-Kolleg in Hamburg working on a competition law study that will be published in Professor Peter Behrens' Schriftenreihe des Europa-Kollegs Hamburg zur Integrationsforschung.
Prior to taking up her lectureship, she was a PhD fellow of the German Chancellor Adenauer Foundation at the Europa-Institute, Saarland University, Faculty of Law and Economics in Saarbrücken. Her PhD in competition law (Dr.iur.) awarded Summa cum laude was examined by Professor Helmuth Schröter (former Hearing Officer and Director at DG Competition, European Commission), Professor Torsten Stein, Professor (emeritus) Günther Hönn and Professor Helmut Rüßmann. Previously, she completed the 'European Integration' master programme with specialisations in Economic Law, External Trade and Human Rights. During her PhD she worked in a team of researchers selected by the College of Europe, Bruges on a study on the impact of national rules that diverge from Article 102 TFEU (DG Competition), as a trainee with the Monopolies Commission in Bonn (2009) and as a Blue Book trainee with the European Commission in Brussels (2007/08).
Anca's research interest lies primarily in all aspects of competition law, policy, and micro- and macroeconomics, including comparative law. She has presented her research at the following universities: Amsterdam, Beijing, Bonn, Bucharest, Cambridge, Cork, Craiova, Dublin (UC), Hamburg, King's College London, Liverpool, Madrid (IE), Nottingham, Oslo, forthcoming Paris,The Romanian Academy and Competition Council, Rome (La Sapienza), Queen Mary, Saarland (Saarbrücken), University College London, Utrecht, forthcoming Warwick.
Current research focuses primarily on competition law and social policy, particularly austerity, public debt and new employment theories; the ECJ's rule of precedent in competition cases; consumer rights and privacy in the digital age; the theory and practice of rebates e.g. Intel; and interest rate derivatives cartels (LIBOR).
Past research examined procedural rights in EU mergers, funded by China-EU School of Law, as part of a volume on administrative competition law with Springer and translated into Chinese; the EU crisis and the restructuring of 'Too-Big-to Fail' banks through state aid (audio) in Cambridge Yearbook of European Legal Studies; the historical interpretation of the EU competition rules in International & Comparative Law Quarterly; Google's anti-competitive practices in The Competition Law Review; EU industrial cartels, and the interplay between free movement and competition law.
Her first book published by Nomos (Baden-Baden) on the abuse of a dominant position under Article 102 TFEU won the Dr. Friedrich-Feldbausch-Stiftung Prize for best dissertation at Saarland University in the academic year 2010/11 (praised in Revista Română de Concurenţă 1/2013, 74-6 published by the Romanian Competition Council).
I teach Competition Law from a socio-legal and economic perspective: since 2011, as a module convenor of the LLM module on Competition Law (LAW 40230) and, since 2012, as a module convenor of the UG third-year module on Competition Law (LAW 3011). I have supervised numerous LLB and LLM dissertations on Competition Law, including MJur. Module handbooks, detalied handouts, unit materials and e-library are available on DUO. A list of recommended journals is available here. The recommended text is Oxford Competition Law's Bellamy & Child.
- 2015/16: UG Competition Law (3011) and LLM Competition Law (40230);
- 2014/15 on university research leave (Michaelmas & Epiphany).
Past: 2011/12 module convenor of the UG Contract Law module; 2013/14 Contract Law (undue influence, damages) and contributor with twenty cases to the Case Navigator on the English Law of Contract published by Pearson Education (Harlow).
I am a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA).
Anca is a recipient of numerous academic scholarships, such as the DAAD (the German Academic Exchange Service), Konrad-Adenauer Foundation, Federal Foreign Office (Auswärtiges Amt), LLB (four-year degree in law) scholarship for excellent results.
- 2014: China-EU School of Law, China University of Political Science and Law €1912,77;
- 2012/14: DAAD visiting fellowship;
- 2011: Dr. Friedrich-Feldbausch-Stiftung Prize €900; Vereinigung der Freunde der Universität des Saarlandes €511; Konrad Adenauer Stiftung e.V. €1,020;
- 2010: Université Catholique de Louvain, International Antitrust Litigation conference, Brussels, PhD stipend €400;
- 2006/10: Konrad-Adenauer doctoral fellowship €43,666;
- 2007/08 European Commission Blue Book traineeship;
- 2004/05: Federal Foreign Office Scholarship (Auswärtiges Amt) €12,022.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2011). The German and Romanian Abuse of Market Dominance in the Light of Article 102 TFEU. Baden-Baden, Germany: Nomos.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2014). Review of Kiran Klaus Patel and Heike Schweitzer (eds), The Historical Foundations of EU Competition Law (Oxford, Oxford University Press, 2013). Irish Journal of European Law 17(1): 145-148.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2015), Consumer Rights, Misleading Advertising and Privacy in the Digital Age, 15th Conference of the International Association of Consumer Law. Centre for the Study of European Contract Law, University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2015), Distribution Agreements & Antitrust Issues at the Working Session on the 'Distribution of Pharmaceuticals and Medical Devices', 53rd Annual Congress of the International Association of Young Lawyers (AIJA). London.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2015), EU Competition Law and Social Policy, Socio-Legal Studies Association Annual Conference. University of Warwick, England.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2015), The Disclosure of Evidence under the Antitrust Damages Directive 2014/104/EU, EU Competition and State Aid Rules: Interaction between Public and Private Enforcement. Rovinj, Croatia.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2015), The Role of EU Competition Law and Policy in Promoting Solidarity and Combating Austerity, 22nd International Conference of Europeanists: Contradictions: Envisioning European Futures, Council for European Studies. Sciences Po, Paris, France.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2014), 'A Critical Review of Recent Substantive and Procedural Developments in EU Cartels', 10th Annual Conference of the Italian Society of Law and Economics. University of Rome 'La Sapienza', Italy.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2014), EU Cartel Infringements, The Society of Legal Scholars Annual Conference. Nottingham, England.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2014), Google's Anti-competitive and Unfair Practices in Digital Leisure Markets, The Competition Law Scholars Forum (CLaSF) XXIII Workshop, Centre for European Studies, IE Law School. Madrid, Spain.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2014), Procedural Rights in EU Competition Law Procedures – Ex ante Procedures (Mergers), Procedural Rights in Competition Law. China-EU School of Law, China University of Political Science and Law, Beijing, China.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2014), The Interplay between Free Movement of Goods/Services and Competition Law, The Constitutional Implications of Free Movement, European Law Network. University of Oslo, Norway.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2012), A Comparative Analysis of Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts, 4th Annual Conference of the Irish Society of Comparative Law. University College Cork, Ireland.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2012), In Search of Effectiveness, Sixth Annual Postgraduate Workshop: In Search of Effectiveness - Current Trends and Challenges in Competition Law Enforcement. University College Dublin, Ireland.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2012), Pricing Practices under Article 102 TFEU, 6th IMEDIPA (University College London) International Conference on Competition Law and Policy. Faculty of Law, University of Bucharest.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2011), Competition and Industrial Property under EU law, Bucharest, The Romanian Academy.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2011), Competition Law, Policy, and Enforcement, 7th Annual Competition & Regulation Meeting: Competition Policy for Emerging Economies: When and How?. Amsterdam Center for Law & Economics, The Netherlands.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2011), Effects of the New Directive, Unfair Contract Terms, On-line Bargains and the Effectiveness of Private Enforcement for EU consumers, The Optional Instrument and the Consumer Rights Directive – Alternative ways to a new Ius Commune in contract law. The Ius Commune Congress, Utrecht, The Netherlands.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2011), The Importance of Access to Essential Facilities in Building Competitive Markets in Network Industries, The Competition Council Annual Conference. Bucharest.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2011), The Interplay of EU Competition Law and Industrial Property, The 3rd Annual Conference of the Irish Society of Comparative Law, University College Dublin. Ireland.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2010), How to Reconcile the Deontological Nature of Competition with Welfare-oriented Economic Goals, Academic Society for Competition Law (ASCOLA) Goals of Competition Law, University of Bonn. Germany.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2009), A Critical Analysis of the EC Commission’s Guidance Paper on the Application of Article 82 EC, Competition Appeal Tribunal: ICC Annual International PhD Conference. Queen Mary, University of London, England.
Edited works: contributions
- Chirita, Anca D. (2015). 'Procedural Rights in EU Competition Law: Ex-ante Merger Procedures'. In Procedural Rights in Competition Law. Cauffman, C. & Hao, Q. (Berlin, Springer). 35 p.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2012). Legal Interpretation and Practice versus Legal Theory: A Reconciliation of Competition Goals and a Reply to Andriychuk. In Goals of Competition Law. Zimmer, D. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar. 118-131.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2012). The Impact of Directive 2011/83/EU on Consumer Rights. In Alternative Ways to Ius Commune: The Europeanisation of Private Law. Keirse, A.L.M. & Loos, M.B.M. Antwerp: Cambridge: Intersentia. 65-82.
Journal papers: academic
- Chirita, Anca D. (2015). Google's Anti-competitive and Unfair Practices in Digital Leisure Markets. Competition Law Review 11(2).
- Chirita, Anca D. (2014). A Legal-Historical Review of the EU Competition Rules. International & Comparative Law Quarterly 63(2): 281-316.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2014). The Impact of the European Union Current Crisis on Law, Policy and Society. Cambridge Yearbook of European Legal Studies 16: 254-288.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2012). Cross-Border Service Payments under EU Fair Competition and SEPA Rules. European Competition Journal 8(2): 403-428.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2012). Recent Abuse of Dominance and Cartel Cases. European Competition Law Review 33(5): 227-236
- Chirita, Anca D. (2010). Undistorted, Un(fair) Competition, Consumer Welfare and the Interpretation of Article 102 TFEU. World Competition Law and Economics Review 33(3): 417-436.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2009). The EC Commission’s Guidance Paper on the Application of Article 82 EC: An Efficient Means of Compliance for Germany?. European Competition Journal 5(3): 677-700.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2008). The Abuse of Dominant Market Position under Romanian Antitrust Law in Light of European Antitrust Law. European Competition Law Review 29(3): 162-170.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2008). The Analysis of Market Dominance and Restrictive Practices under German Antitrust Law in Light of EC Antitrust Law. European Competition Journal 4(2): 415-441.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2013), Competition, Financial Markets and the Economic Crisis, Durham University Pre-sessional Lecture. Josephine Butler College, Durham, England.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2015), Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence Seminar Series, The EU Free Movement of Goods as Seen Through the Lens of Competition Law. King's College London, England
- Chirita, Anca D. (2014), Joint Liverpool European Law & Liverpool Economic Governance Seminar on European Competition Law, A Legal Historical Review of the European Union Competition Rules. University of Liverpool, England.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2013), The Impact of the European Union Current Crisis on Law, Policy and Society, CELS Lunchtime Seminar Series 2013-2014, Centre for European Legal Studies, Seminar. University of Cambridge, England.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2011), Cross-Border Service Payments under EU Fair Competition and SEPA Rules, Durham Law School Seminar Series 2011/2012. Durham, England.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2014). Recent Developments in EU Cartels. Oxford Competition Law