Dr Anca Chirita, LL.B, LL.M, Dr. iur. (PhD), FHEA, Of Counsel
Anca Chirita joined Durham Law School in 2011 where she convenes Competition Law at both undergraduate and postgraduate level. She is a member of the Senior Common Room at Grey College and at St John's College. In the academic year 2016/17 she is acting as Deputy Director of Research Impact and Deputy Chair of the Ethics and Data Protection Peer Review Group.
During the academic year 2013/14 she was a Co-Director of the Durham European Law Institute and during 2012/14 a DAAD visiting fellow at the Max-Planck-Institut für ausländisches und internationales Privatrecht. Prior to taking up her lectureship, she was a PhD fellow of the German Chancellor Adenauer Foundation at the Europa-Institute, Saarland University, Faculty of Law and Economics. Her PhD in competition law awarded Summa cum laude received the Dr. Friedrich-Feldbausch-Stiftung Prize . Previously, she completed the LL.M programme in Saarbrücken. During her PhD she worked as a national expert with the College of Europe, Bruges (DG COMP project 2010/11), as a trainee with the Monopolies Commission in Bonn (2009) and as a Blue Book trainee with the European Commission in Brussels (2007/08). Since 2011 she is a member of the Editorial Review Board of Oxford Competition Law.
Anca's research interest lies in competition law, policy and economics (industrial organisation, macroeconomics and political economy). She is regularly invited/selected to deliver presentations, lectures or seminars in Europe: Amsterdam (twice), Utrecht; Saarbrücken, Bonn, Hamburg and Max Planck for Innovation and Competition, Munich; Bucharest (The Romanian Academy), Craiova; Cork, UC Dublin (twice); Madrid (IE), Valencia; Rome (La Sapienza); Paris (Sciences Po); Oslo; Rovinj (Croatia); in China (Beijing); in the US (twice invited by the Council for European Studies, Columbia University in Philadelphia (incl. session chairing); Berkeley, University of California and 82nd International Atlantic Economic Society conference, Washington D.C., incl. session discussant and Best Undergraduate Paper Competition panel judge) and the UK (Cambridge, UCL (twice), Queen Mary at the Competition Appeal Tribunal, KCL (three times), Nottingham, Warwick, Liverpool and London (53rd Congress of the International Association of Young Lawyers). Anca has been invited to act as a conference proposal reviewer for the 23rd and 24th Council for European Studies conferences.
Recent research focuses on competition policy and employment, i.e. the social impact of economic efficiency on jobs, employment theories and austerity; the disclosure of evidence under the Directive 2014/104/EU forthcoming in a book including papers by four judges of the General Court of the European Union; big data and privacy in the digital age; the theory and practice of discounts (expert analysis submitted to the Bucharest Court of Appeal), and interest rate derivatives cartels (LIBOR). Past research examined procedural rights in EU mergers; the restructuring of 'Too-Big-to Fail' banks through state aid (audio) in the Cambridge Yearbook of European Legal Studies; the historical interpretation of the EU competition rules in the International & Comparative Law Quarterly; Google's anti-competitive practices in the Competition Law Review; EU industrial cartels in the German Journal of European Legal Studies, and free movement and competition law. Her research has been quoted, inter alia, by the European Commission, Director-General for Competition's Speech on the Object of Effects, 2014; extensively in the Directorate-General for Competition's Report on judges' training needs in the field of European competition law, 2016 and in official report on the digital economy commissioned for the German Federal Ministry of Economic Affairs, 2016.
I teach Competition Law from a socio-legal and economic perspective: since 2011 as a module convenor of the postgraduate module on Competition Law 40230 and since 2012 as a module convenor of the undergraduate module on Competition Law 3011. I supervise LLB, LLM, MJur, and PhD dissertations on competition law. Module handbook, handouts and e-library are available on DUO. Recommended journals are available here. In 2015 and 2016 I was invited to act as a panel judge for the Law category of the The Undergraduate Awards. In 2016 I have been invited to act as a panel judge for the Best Undergraduate Paper Competition at the 82nd International Atlantic Economic Society Conference in Washington D.C.
Recently completed supervision students: Rene Wieser (MJur).
Anca is a recipient of prestigious academic scholarships, inter alia, German Academic Exchange Service, Konrad-Adenauer Foundation, Federal Foreign Office (Auswärtiges Amt), LLB (four-year) scholarship for excellent results.
- 2014: China-EU School of Law, China University of Political Science and Law;
- 2012/14: DAAD visiting fellowship;
- 2011: Dr. Friedrich-Feldbausch-Stiftung Prize; Vereinigung der Freunde der Universität des Saarlandes; Konrad Adenauer Stiftung e.V.;
- 2006/10: Konrad-Adenauer doctoral fellowship;
- 2007/08 European Commission Blue Book traineeship;
- 2004/05: Federal Foreign Office Scholarship (Auswärtiges Amt).
Chapter in book
- Chirita, Anca D. (2017). The Disclosure of Evidence under the Antitrust Damages Directive 2014/104/EU. In EU Competition and State Aid Rules: Public and Private Enforcement. Tomljenović, V., Bodiroga-Vukobrat, N., Butorac Malnar, V. & Kunda, I. Berlin Heidelberg: Springer. 5.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2017). The Rise of Big Data and the Loss of Privacy. In Personal Data in Competition, Consumer Protection and IP Law - Towards a Holistic Approach?. Bakhoum, M., Gallego Conde, B., Mackenordt, M.-O. & Surblyte, G. Berlin Heidelberg Springer.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2016). Procedural Rights in EU Administrative Competition Proceedings: Ex Ante Mergers. In Procedural Rights in Competition Law in the EU and China. Cauffman, C. & Hao, Q. Berlin, Heidelberg: Springer-Verlag. 59-99.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2016), The Rise of Big Data and the Loss of Privacy, Personal Data in Competition, Consumer Protection and IP Law: Towards a Holistic Approach?. Munich.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2015). Google's Anti-competitive and Unfair Practices in Digital Leisure Markets. Competition Law Review 11(1): 109-131.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2015). The Judicial Review of the European Union Industrial Cartels. Zeitschrift für europarechtliche Studien (German Journal of European Legal Studies) 18(4): 407-441.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2014). A Legal-Historical Review of the EU Competition Rules. International & Comparative Law Quarterly 63(2): 281-316.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2014). Recent Developments in EU Cartels. Oxford Competition Law
- Chirita, Anca D. (2014). The Impact of the European Union Current Crisis on Law, Policy and Society. Cambridge Yearbook of European Legal Studies 16: 255-288.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2017), The Innovation Economy: Cross Border Digital Architecture, Society of Legal Scholars Annual Seminar 2017 The Future of Commercial Law: Ways Forward for Harmonisation. Durham, England.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2017), The Shape of UK Competition Law post Brexit: an Inquiry into the History and Evolution of British Competition Laws and Institutions, Brexit Lecture Series. Durham Law School.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2016), Chairing the Panel on 'Competitive Markets, Competitive States: Business, Trade, and Labor in Europe', The 23rd International Conference of Europeanists. Pennsylvania, U.S.A, Philadelphia PA.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2016), Distribution Networks under UK Competition Law, Distribution Networks from the Perspective of Competition Law. Valencia, Spain.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2016), Impact of Economic Efficiency on Employment: A Case Study of Mergers and Acquisitions, 82nd International Atlantic Economic Society Conference. Washington, DC.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2016), Resilient Neo-Liberalism by Means of Promoting Fierce and Efficiency-Driven Free Market Competition, The 23rd International Conference of Europeanists. Pennsylvania, U.S.A, Philadelphia PA.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2016), The EU Competition Policy's ‘Social' Paradox: Moving Towards ‘Full' Employment with Austerity?, 28th Annual Meeting Conference of the Society for the Advancement of Socio-Economics. Berkeley, University of California, U.S.A.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2015), Consumer Rights, Misleading Advertising and Privacy in the Digital Age, 15th Conference of the International Association of Consumer Law. Centre for the Study of European Contract Law, University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands, Centre for the Study of European Contract Law, University of Amsterdam.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2015), Distribution Agreements & Antitrust Issues at the Working Session on the 'Distribution of Pharmaceuticals and Medical Devices', 53rd Annual Congress of the International Association of Young Lawyers (AIJA). London, London.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2015), EU Competition Law and Social Policy, Socio-Legal Studies Association Annual Conference. University of Warwick, England, University of Warwick.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2015), Google's Anti-competitive and Unfair Practices in Digital Leisure Markets, Competition Law in Leisure Markets Competition Law Scholars Forum XXIII Workshop. Madrid.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2015), The Disclosure of Evidence under the Antitrust Damages Directive 2014/104/EU, in Tomljenović, V., Bodiroga-Vukobrat, N., Butorac Malnar, V. & Kunda, I. eds, Europeanization and Globalization, 5 The 4th Petar Šarčević international scientific conference: EU Competition and State Aid Rules: Interaction between Public and Private Enforcement. Rovinj, Croatia, Springer, Berlin.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2015), The Interplay between Free Movement and Competition Law, Jean Monnet Centre for Europe in the World | Seminar Series. London.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2015), The Role of EU Competition Law and Policy in Promoting Solidarity and Combating Austerity, 22nd International Conference of Europeanists: Contradictions: Envisioning European Futures, Council for European Studies, Columbia University. Sciences Po, Paris, France, Sciences Po, Paris.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2014), A Critical Review of Recent Substantive and Procedural Developments in EU Cartel, ISLE 2014 - 10th Annual Conference of the Italian Society of Law and Economics. Rome, Italy, Italian Society of Law and Economics (ISLE), University of Rome 'La Sapienza'.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2014), A Legal Historical Review of the European Union Competition Rules, Joint Liverpool European Law & Liverpool Economic Governance Seminar on European Competition Law. Liverpool.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2014), EU Cartel Infringements: a critical evaluation of recent substantive and procedural issues, The Society of Legal Scholars Annual Conference. Nottingham, England, Nottingham.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2014), Procedural Rights in EU Competition Law Procedures – Ex ante Procedures (Mergers), Conference on Procedural Rights in Competition Law. Beijing, China, China-EU School of Law, China University of Political Science and Law, Beijing.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2014), The Interplay between Free Movement of Goods/Services and Competition Law: object/effect restrictions of competition on free trade, The Constitutional Implications of Free Movement, European Law Network. Oslo, Norway, University of Oslo.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2013), Competition, Financial Markets and the Economic Crisis, Durham University Pre-sessional Lecture. Josephine Butler College, Durham, England.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2013), The Impact of the European Union Current Crisis on Law, Policy and Society, CELS Lunchtime Seminar Series 2013-2014, Centre for European Legal Studies, Seminar. University of Cambridge, England.