Dr Anca Chirita
Anca Daniela Chiriţă joined Durham Law School in 2011 where she teaches competition law at undergraduate and postgraduate level as a module convenor and contributes to the undergraduate module on contract law (undue influence, damages). She is also Co-Director of DELI (Durham European Law Institute).
Prior to taking up her lectureship, she was a Konrad-Adenauer fellow at Europa-Institut, Saarland University, Faculty of Law and Economics in Saarbrücken, Germany. Her Ph.D. in competition law (Dr.iur.) awarded Summa cum laude was examined by Professor H.C. Helmuth Schröter (former Hearing Officer and Director at DG Competition, European Commission), Professor (emeritus) Torsten Stein, Professor (emeritus) Günther Hönn and Professor Helmut Rüßmann. At the Europa-Institute in Saarbrücken (founded in 1951) she also completed the 'European Integration' master programme with specialisations in European Economic Law, Foreign Trade and the European Protection of Human Rights. During her PhD she worked in a team of researchers selected by the College of Europe, Bruges, Belgium on 'Study on the impact of national rules on unilateral conduct that diverge from Article 102 TFEU' (DG Competition, EC tender), as a legal trainee with the Monopolies Commission in Bonn (2009) and as a Blue Book trainee with the European Commission in Brussels (2007/2008).
Anca is recipient of numerous academic scholarships such as the DAAD (the German Academic Exchange Service), Konrad Adenauer Stiftung, Federal Foreign Office (Auswärtiges Amt), LLB (four-year degree in law) national scholarship for excellent results.
During 2012-2014 Anca is a DAAD visiting fellow at the Max-Planck-Institut für ausländisches und internationales Privatrecht and Europa-Kolleg in Hamburg, Germany, working on a competition law study which will be published in the edited series of Professor Peter Behrens (Schriftenreihe des Europa-Kollegs Hamburg zur Integrationsforschung). She is member of the Editorial Review Board of Oxford Competition Law, Oxford University Press.
Anca is fluent in English, German, Romanian and French.
Anca's research interest lies primarily in competition law, including comparative competition law, and the relationship between competition rules and contract law.
Her first book published by Nomos, Baden-Baden, April 2011 on the abuse of a dominant position under Article 102 TFEU and national competition rules comparatively won the Dr. Friedrich-Feldbausch-Stiftung Prize for best dissertation at Saarland University in the academic year 2010/2011 (also praised in the Romanian Competition Journal 'Revista Română de Concurenţă' 1/2013, 74-76 published by the Romanian competition authority 'Competition Council').
Her current research examines 'Procedural rights in EU competition law (ex ante mergers)' for a conference in Beijing in Spring 2014, funded by CESL (China-EU School of Law) as part of a collaborative volume on procedural rights to be published by Springer; comparative competition law in the EU (Hamburg project) and 'The Impact of the European Union Curent Crisis on Law, Policy and Society' (audio).
Anca is a member of the Academic Society for Competition Law (Munich), the Irish Society of Comparative Law and Durham European Law Institute.
- 2011-2014 LLM EU competition law 40230 (module convenor)
- 2012-2014 LLB Competition law 3011 (module convenor)
- 2011-2012 LLB contract law (module convenor)
- 2013/2014 LLB contract law
- FHEA (Fellow of the Higher Education Academy)
- 2011: Dr. Friedrich-Feldbausch-Stiftung Prize €900
- 2011: Book printing award Vereinigung der Freunde der Universität des Saarlandes €511; Konrad Adenauer Stiftung e.V. €1,020
- 2010 Université Catholique de Louvain, International Antitrust Litigation conference, Brussels, PhD stipend €400
- Konrad-Adenauer doctoral fellowship €43,666
- 2004/05 Federal Foreign Office Scholarship (Auswärtiges Amt) €12,022
- Chirita, Anca D. (2011). The German and Romanian Abuse of Market Dominance in the Light of Article 102 TFEU. Baden-Baden, Germany: Nomos.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2012), A Comparative Analysis of Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts, 4th Annual Conference of the Irish Society of Comparative Law. University College Cork, Cork, Republic of Ireland.
- Chirita, Anca D (2012), In Search of Effectiveness: Current Trends and Challenges in Competition Law Enforcement, Sixth Annual Postgraduate Workshop: In Search of Effectiveness - Current Trends and Challenges in Competition Law Enforcement. University College, Dublin, Republic of Ireland.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2012), Pricing Practices under Article 102 TFEU, 6th IMEDIPA International Conference on Competition Law and Policy. University of Bucharest, Faculty of Law.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2011), Competition and Industrial Property under EU law, Bucharest, Romania, Legal Research Institute of Romanian Academy.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2011), Competition Law, Policy, and Enforcement: The Experience of Romania, 7th Annual Competition & Regulation Meeting: Competition Policy for Emerging Economies: When and How?. Amsterdam, The Netherlands, Amsterdam Center for Law & Economics.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2011), Effects of the new directive, unfair contract terms, on-line bargains and the effectiveness of private enforcement for EU consumers, The Optional Instrument and the Consumer Rights Directive – Alternative ways to a new Ius Commune in contract law. Utrecht, the Netherlands, Ius Commune Congress.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2011), The importance of access to essential facilities in building competitive markets in network industries, Competition Council Annual Conference. Bucharest, Romania.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2011), The interplay of EU competition law and industrial property – A comparative perspective on compulsory licensing, 3rd Annual Conference of the Irish Society of Comparative Law. Dublin, Republic of Ireland, University College Dublin.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2010), How to reconcile the deontological nature of competition with welfare-oriented economic goals, Academic Society for Competition Law (Ascola) Goals of Competition Law. Bonn, Germany, University of Bonn.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2009), A Critical Analysis of the EC Commission’s Guidance Paper on the Application of Article 82 EC, Competition Appeal Tribunal: ICC Marion Simmons QC Annual International PhD Conference. London, England, Queen Mary, University of London.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2007), The Abuse of a Dominant Position under Romanian Antitrust Law in light of European Antitrust Law, International Graduate Legal Research Conference. London, England, King’s College London.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2007), The Abuse of Dominant Position under Romanian Antitrust Law: Principles and Perspectives, Second Romanian-German Colloquium on European Law. Craiova, Romania, University of Craiova.
Edited works: contributions
- Chirita, Anca D. (2012). Legal Interpretation and Practice versus Legal Theory: A Reconciliation of Competition Goals and a Reply to Andriychuk. In Goals of Competition Law. Zimmer, D. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar. 118-131.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2012). The Impact of Directive 2011/83/EU on Consumer Rights. In Alternative Ways to Ius Commune: The Europeanisation of Private Law. Keirse, A.L.M. & Loos, M.B.M. Antwerp: Cambridge: Intersentia. 65-82.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2007). Abuzul de Poziţie Dominantă în Dreptul Românesc al Cartelurilor în Lumina Dreptului European şi German – Principii şi Perspective. In Second Public Romanian-German Colloquium on European Law. Universitaria, Craiova. 221-249.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2007). The Abuse of a Dominant Position under Romanian Antitrust Law – Principles and Perspectives. In Second Public Romanian-German Colloquium on European Law. Universitaria, Craiova. 221-249.
Journal papers: academic
- Chirita, Anca D. (2014). A Legal Historical Review of the EU Competition Rules. 63 International & Comparative Law Quarterly forthcoming
- Chirita, Anca D. (2012). Cross-Border Service Payments under EU Fair Competition and SEPA Rules. European Competition Journal 8(2): 403-428.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2012). Recent abuse of dominance and cartel cases. European Competition Law Review 33(5): 227-236
- Chirita, Anca D. (2010). Undistorted, un(fair) competition, consumer welfare and the interpretation of Article 102 TFEU. World Competition Law and Economics Review 33(3): 417-436.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2009). The EC Commission’s Guidance Paper on the Application of Article 82 EC: An Efficient Means of Compliance for Germany?. European Competition Journal 5(3): 677-700.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2008). The Analysis of Market Dominance and Restrictive Practices under German Antitrust Law in Light of EC Antitrust Law. European Competition Journal 4(2): 415-441.
- Chirita, Anca D. & - (2013), The Impact of the European Union Current Crisis on Law, Policy and Society, CELS Lunchtime Seminar Series 2013-2014 Centre for European Legal Studies, Lunchtime Seminar. Cambridge, University of Cambridge.