Professor Mathias Siems
(email at firstname.lastname@example.org)
Mathias Siems is a Professor of Commercial Law at Durham University. He is also a Research Associate at the Centre for Business Research, University of Cambridge, a Research Associate at the London Centre for Corporate Governance and Ethics, Birkbeck, University of London, and an Invited Fellow at the Maastricht European Law Institute. He was previously a professor at the University of East Anglia, a reader at the University of Edinburgh, an associate professor at the Riga Graduate School of Law, a Fulbright Scholar at Harvard Law School, and a Jean Monnet Fellow at the European University Institute in Florence. He has also held various visiting positions at universities in Europe, Asia and North America. Mathias Siems is a graduate of the Universities of Munich and Edinburgh.
For his full CV, including all publications, please see here.
- Company and Securities Law
- Comparative Law
- Law and Finance
- Research methods
- 2013: Law, Finance and Development in 'Rising Powers' (£22054.23 from ESRC)
- 2011: Philip Leverhulme Prize (£70000.00 from The Leverhulme Trust)
- Siems, Mathias (2014). Comparative Law. Cambridge University Press.
- Siems, Mathias (2008). Convergence in Shareholder Law. Cambridge Cambridge University Press.
- Siems, Mathias & Cabrelli, David (2013). Comparative Company Law: A Case-Based Approach. Hart Publishing.
- Siems, Mathias (2014). The Curios Case of Overfitting Legal Transplants. In The Method and Culture of Comparative Law: Essays in Honour of Mark Van. Adams, Maurice & Heirbaut, Dirk Hart Publishing. 133-146.
Journal papers: academic
- Siems, Mathias & Alvarez-Macotela, Oscar (2016). The G20/OECD Principles of Corporate Governance 2015: A Critical Assessment of its Operation and Impact. Journal of Business Law
- Zhou, Tianshu & Siems, Mathias (2015). Contentious Modes of Understanding Chinese Commercial Law. Journal of International Commercial Law 6(2): 177-200.
- Cabrelli, David & Siems, Mathias (2015). Convergence, Legal Origins and Transplants in Comparative Corporate Law: A Case-Based and Quantitative Analysis. American Journal of Comparative Law 63(1): 109-153.
- Katelouzou, Dionysia & Siems, Mathias (2015). Disappearing Paradigms in Shareholder Protection: Leximetric Evidence for 30 Countries, 1990-2013. Journal of Corporate Law Studies 15(1): 127-160.
- Siems, Mathias (2014). Bringing in Foreign Ideas: The Quest for 'Better Law' in Implicit Comparative Law. The Journal of Comparative Law 9: 119-136.
- Gelter, Martin & Siems, Mathias (2014). Citations to Foreign Courts – Illegitimate and Superfluous, or Unavoidable? Evidence from Europe. American Journal of Comparative Law 62(1): 35-85.
- Siems, Mathias & Schnyder, Gerhard (2014). Ordoliberal Lessons for Economic Stability: Different Kinds of Regulation, Not More Regulation. Governance 27(3): 377-396.
- Mukwiri, Jonathan & Siems, Mathias (2014). The Financial Crisis: A Reason to Improve Shareholder Protection in the EU?. Journal of Law and Society 41(1): 51-72.
- Gelter, Martin & Siems, Mathias (2013). Language, Legal Origins, and Culture before the Courts: Cross-Citations between Supreme Courts in Europe. Supreme Court Economic Review 21(1): 215-269.
- Siems, Mathias & Mac Sithigh, Daithi (2012). Mapping Legal Research. The Cambridge Law Journal 71(03): 651-676.
- Siems, Mathias & De Cesari, Amedeo (2012). The Law and Finance of Share Repurchases in Europe. Journal of Corporate Law Studies 12(1): 33-57.
- Siems, Mathias, Herzog, Leif & Rosenhäger, Erik (2011). The Protection of Creditors of a European Private Company (SPE). European Business Organization Law Review 12(1): 147-172.
- Siems, Mathias (2010). Citation Patterns of the German Federal Supreme Court and of the Court of Appeal of England and Wales. King's Law Journal 21(1): 152-171.
- Siems, Mathias & Deakin, Simon (2010). Comparative Law and Finance: Past, Present and Future Research. Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics (JITE) 166(1): 120-140
- Schouten, Michael & Siems, Mathias (2010). The Evolution of Ownership Disclosure Rules Across Countries. Journal of Corporate Law Studies 10(2): 451-483
- Armour, John, Deakin, Simon, Lele, Priya & Siems, Mathias (2009). How Do Legal Rules Evolve? Evidence from a Cross-Country Comparison of Shareholder, Creditor and Worker Protection. American Journal of Comparative Law 57(3): 579-629.
- Siems, Mathias (2009). Regulatory Competition in Partnership Law. International and Comparative Law Quarterly 58(4): 767-802.
- Armour, John, Deakin, Simon, Sarkar, Prabirjit, Siems, Mathias & Singh, Ajit (2009). Shareholder Protection and Stock Market Development: An Empirical Test of the Legal Origins Hypothesis. Journal of Empirical Legal Studies 6(2): 343-380.
- Siems, Mathias (2008). Legal Originality. Oxford Journal of Legal Studies 28(1): 147-164.