Dr Jonathan Mukwiri
Jonathan Mukwiri is currently a Lecturer in Commercial Law at Durham Law School. He joined Durham in October 2010. He teaches mainly on the postgraduate taught programme and supervises numerous postgraduate dissertations in broad areas of commercial law and corporate law. He also teaches undergraduate tutorials in Company Law.
Jonathan's research interests lie primarily in commercial and corporate law, especially European corporate law. To date, his work in corporate law has focused on takeover regulation and corporate governance, including the role of shareholders and the protection of minority shareholders. He is the author of the Takeovers and European Legal Framework: A British Perspective (Routledge-Cavendish, 2009), a monograph that provides a detailed understanding of the implementation of the Takeover Directive 2004/25/EC into the UK. He is currently researching on the interaction between free movement of capital and regulation of takeovers in the EU.
International Sales Law
Electronic Commerce Law
- Commercial Law, particularly Sale of Goods
- EU Internal Market, particularly Free Movement of Capital
- European Corporate Law
- Regulation of Takeovers
- Mukwiri, Jonathan. (2009). Takeovers and the European Legal Framework: A British Perspective. Abingdon, Oxon: Routledge-Cavendish.
- Mukwiri, Jonathan. (2006). Commercial Contracts Law. Arima Publishing.
- Mukwiri, Jonathan. (2012). 'EU Law and the Harmonization of Takeovers in the Internal Market' by Thomas Gr. Papadopoulos, Alphen aan den Rijn Kluwer Law International, 2010. European Law Review 37(1): 108-110.
- Mukwiri, Jonathan. (2011). 'European securities law' by Raj Panasar and Philip Boekman, Oxford Oxford University Press, 2010. Journal of Business law (1): 119-120.
- Mukwiri, Jonathan. (2009). 'The law and economics of takeovers an acquirer’s perspective' by Athanasios Kouloridas, Oxford Hart Publishing, 2007. Journal of Business Law (3): 295-297.
Journal papers: academic
- Mukwiri, Jonathan & Siems, Mathias (2014). The Financial Crisis: A Reason to Improve Shareholder Protection in the EU?. Journal of Law and Society 41(1): 51-72.
- Mukwiri, Jonathan (2013). Free Movement of Capital and Takeovers: a case-study of the tension between primary and secondary EU legislation. European Law Review 38(6): 829-847.
- Mukwiri, Jonathan (2013). Myth of Shareholder Primacy in English Law. European Business Law Review 24(2): 217-241.
- Mukwiri, Jonathan (2013). Takeovers and incidental protection of minority shareholders. European Company and Financial Law Review 10(3): 432-460.
- Mukwiri, Jonathan. (2008). Directors’ duties in takeover bids and English company law. International Company and Commercial Law Review 19(9): 281-289.
- Mukwiri, Jonathan. (2008). The myth of tactical litigation in UK takeovers. Journal of Corporate Law Studies 8(2): 373-388.
- Mukwiri, Jonathan. (2005). Credit cards and section 75: Misconceived interpretation? Journal of Financial Regulation and Compliance 13 (3): 268-271.
- Mukwiri, Jonathan. (2005). Section 459 on parent and subsidiary companies. Company Lawyer 26(3): 75-78.
- Mukwiri, Jonathan. (2005). The no reflective loss principle. Company Lawyer 26(10): 304-307.
- Mukwiri, Jonathan. (2004). Using section 459 as an instrument of oppression? Company Lawyer 25(9): 282-284.