Dr Gleider I Hernández
Gleider I Hernández is Senior Lecturer in Public International Law at Durham Law School and a founding Deputy Director of the new Durham Global Policy Institute. For 2014-2015, he is the Director of Undergraduate Admissions for the Law School, and Convenor of the Law and Global Justice at Durham research cluster, which he also convened in its previous incarnation as Law and Conflict at Durham (2011-2013).
Gleider took a D.Phil from Wadham College, Oxford in 2010. Previously, he read for an LL.M (cum laude) at Leiden University (the Netherlands) and for BCL and LL.B degrees at McGill University (Canada). His doctoral thesis was published in May 2014 by the Oxford University Press, as a monograph entitled The International Court of Justice and the Judicial Function. It was shortlisted for the Peter Birks Prize for Outstanding Legal Scholarship by the Society of Legal Scholars.
Prior to arriving in Durham, he served as Associate Legal Officer at the International Court of Justice (2007-2010), acting from 2008-2010 as Law Clerk to Vice-President Peter Tomka and Judge Bruno Simma. At the Law Faculty of the University of Oxford, Gleider worked as a Graduate Teaching Assistant, leading tutorials in Public International Law (2005-2007). Also at Oxford, he was appointed as Teaching Fellow at the Environmental Change Institute (2006-2007), where he lectured in international environmental law; as Senior Editor of the Oxford University Commonwealth Law Journal (2006-2007); and as Convenor of the Public International Law Discussion Group (2005-2006). Gleider has also practised as a barrister and solicitor, in public and administrative law, at the law firm Fasken Martineau DuMoulin LLP (Montreal, Canada), until 2004.
Gleider's research interests lie within the general area of public international law, and particularly relate to international legal theory (nature and sources of international law), international dispute settlement, and the law and practice of international institutions. He also has an interest in how specialised areas of international law (eg international criminal law, international environmental law, international investment law, and the law of armed conflict) interact with general international law.
Gleider is a Member of the Academic Review Board of the Cambridge Journal of International and Comparative Law, the Co-ordinating Committee of the International Legal Theory Group of the European Society of International Law, and General Editor of the online rouce Oxford International Courts of General Jurisdiction (Oxford Scholarship Online). Gleider is also a Member of the International Expert Group drafting the 2nd edition of the Tallinn Manual on the International Law applicable to Cyber Warfare (Cambridge University Press, 2016).
Gleider will, from October 2015, take up a two-year Early Career Fellowship from the Arts & Humanities Research Council, on a project entitled 'Constructing Authority in International Law'. He also currently holds an appointment as Junior Faculty with the Harvard Institute for Global Law and Policy. Previously, he has also been a Visiting Fellow at the Faculty of Law, McGill University (August-October 2013), and the Amsterdam Centre for International Law, Universiteit van Amsterdam (March-June 2014).
Gleider is fully fluent in English, French and Spanish, and is competent in Dutch.
- 2015: Constructing Authority in International Law: Critical Reflections (£191838.73 from Arts and Humanities Research Council)
- 2012: Judicial Conversations: The Role of Judiciaries in Resolving International Conflicts. (£3385.00 from Modern Law Review)
- Hernández, Gleider I. (2014). The International Court of Justice and the Judicial Function. Oxford University Press.
- Hernández, G.I. (Published). Book Review: The Project of Positivism in International Law. Netherlands International Law Review 62(1): 183-189.
- Hernandez, Gleider I. (2010). The International Judge: A Book Review. Leiden Journal of International Law 23(1): 272-276.
- Hernández, G.I. (Accepted). The Responsibility of the International Legal Academic: Situating the Grammarian within the "Invisible College". In International Law as a Profession. Nollkaemper, Andre, d'Aspremont, Jean, Werner, Wouter & Gazzini, Tarcisio Cambridge University Press.
- Hernández, G.I. (2015). Effectiveness. In Fundamental Concepts in International Law. d'Aspremont, J. & Singh, S. Edward Elgar.
- Hernández, G.I. (2015). International Judicial Law-Making. In Research Handbook on International Law-Making. Brölmann, C. & Radi, Y. Edward Elgar.
- Hernández, G.I. (2015). Interpretative Authority and the International Judiciary. In Interpretation in International Law. Bianchi, A., Windsor, M. & Peat, D. Oxford University Press. 166-185.
- Hernández, G.I. (2014). Interpretation. In International Legal Positivism in a Post-Modern World. d'Aspremont, Jean & Kammerhofer, Jorg. Cambridge University Press. 317-348.
- Hernández, G.I. (2013). Federated Entities in International Law: disaggregating the federal state?. In Statehood and Self-Determination: Reconciling Tradition and Modernity in International Law. French, D. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. 491-512.
- Hernández, G.I. (2013). The Interaction between Investment Law and the Law of Armed Conflict in the Interpretation of Full Protection and Security Clauses. In Investment Law within International Law: An Integrationist Perspective. Baetens, F. Cambridge University Press.
- Sloan, J. & Hernández, G.I. (2013). The Role of the International Court of Justice in the Development of the Institutional Law of the United Nations. In The Development of International Law by the International Court of Justice. Tams, C.J. & Sloan, J. Oxford: Oxford University Press. 197-235.
- Simma, Bruno & Hernandez, Gleider I. (2011). Legal Consequences of an Impermissible Reservation to a Human Rights Treaty: Where Do We Stand?. In The Law of Treaties beyond the Vienna Convention. Cannizzaro, Enzo. Oxford Oxford University Press. 60-85.
- Hernandez, Gleider I. (2011). Non-State Actors from the Perspective of the International Court of Justice. In Participants in the International Legal System: Multiple Perspectives on Non-State Actors in International Law. d'Aspremont, Jean. Abingdon, Oxon: Routledge Cavendish. 140-164.
- Tomka, Peter & Hernandez, Gleider I. (2011). Provisional Measures in the International Tribunal for the Law of the Sea. In Coexistence, Cooperation and Solidarity—Liber Amicorum Ruediger Wolfrum. Matz-Lueck, Nele, Voeneky, Silja, Stoll, Tobias, Hestermeyer, Holger, Roeben, Volker, Seibert-Fohr, Anya & Koenig, Doris. Leiden: Brill Academic Press NV. II: 1763-1787.
- Hernandez, Gleider I. (2010). On Multilingualism and the International Legal Process. In Select Proceedings of the European Society of International Law. Ruiz-Fabri, Helene, Wolfrum, Ruediger & Gogolin, Jana Oxford: Hart Publishing. 2: 441-460.
Edited works: contributions
- Hernández, G.I. (2014). Article 23. In Le Pacte de la Société des Nations: Commentaire article par article. Kolb, R. Pedone.
- Hernández, G.I. (2014). Article 24. In Le Pacte de la Société des Nations: Commentaire article par article. Kolb, R. Pedone.
- Hernández, Gleider I. (2012). Delagoa Bay Railway Arbitration. In Max-Planck Encyclopaedia of Public International Law. Wolfrum, Rüdiger Oxford: Oxford University Press. 3: 1-7.
- Hernandez, Gleider I. (2012). Effects of Territorial Change. In Max-Planck Encyclopaedia of Public International Law. Wolfrum, Rüdiger Oxford: Oxford University Press. 9: 850-856.
Journal papers: academic
- Hernandez, G.I. (2014). Beyond Control: New Paradigms for the International Responsibility of the European Union. Cambridge Yearbook of European Legal Studies 15: 643-668.
- Hernández, G.I. (2014). The Judicialization of International Law: Reflections on the Empirical Turn. European Journal of International Law 25(3): 919.
- Hernández, G.I. (2014). Turning Mirrors into Windows: Transparency in International Law. The Journal of World Investment & Trade 15(5-6): 1087.
- Hernández, G.I. (2013). A Reluctant Guardian: The International Court of Justice and the Concept of 'International Community'. British Yearbook of International Law
- Hernández, Gleider I. (2013). Impartiality, Bias, and the International Court of Justice. Cambridge Journal of International and Comparative Law 1(3): 183-207.
Other media: research equivalent
- Hernández, G.I. (Published). Book Symposium Investment Law: The Interaction Between Investment Law And The Law Of Armed Conflict In The Interpretation Of Full Protection And Security Clauses.
- Hernandez, G.I. (2013). Obama’s Counter-Terrorism Speech: A Turning Point or More of the Same?.
- Hernández, G.I. (2013). The Activist Academic in International Legal Scholarship. 2(11).
- Hernández, G.I. (2013). The Concept of “International Community” and the International Court of Justice.
- Hernández, G.I. & Liefländer, T.R. (2011). Can Gaddafi invoke self-defence against NATO; have NATO leaders committed the crime of aggression?. EJILTalk!: blog of the European Journal of International Law
- Hernandez, Gleider I. (2010). Judicial Consciousness, Judicial Function, and the International Court of Justice. PhD: 285.