Dr Gleider I Hernández
Gleider I Hernández is Lecturer in Law since January 2011 and a founding Deputy Director of the new Durham Global Policy Institute. Previously, he served as a Convenor of Law and Conflict at Durham (2011-2013) during its transition to Law and Global Justice at Durham in 2013.
Gleider took a D.Phil from Wadham College, Oxford in 2010. Previously, he read for an LL.M (cum laude) at Leiden University (the Netherlands) and for BCL and LL.B degrees at McGill University (Canada). His doctoral thesis will be published in May 2014 by the Oxford University Press, as a monograph entitled The International Court of Justice and the Judicial Function.
Prior to arriving in Durham, he served as Associate Legal Officer at the International Court of Justice (2007-2010), acting from 2008-2010 as Law Clerk to Vice-President Peter Tomka and Judge Bruno Simma. At the Law Faculty of the University of Oxford, Gleider worked as a Graduate Teaching Assistant, leading tutorials in Public International Law (2005-2007). Also at Oxford, he was appointed as Teaching Fellow at the Environmental Change Institute (2006-2007), where he lectured in international environmental law; as Senior Editor of the Oxford University Commonwealth Law Journal (2006-2007); and as Convenor of the Public International Law Discussion Group (2005-2006). Gleider has also practised as a barrister and solicitor, in public and administrative law, at the law firm Fasken Martineau DuMoulin LLP (Montreal, Canada), until 2004.
Gleider's research interests lie within the general area of public international law, and particularly relate to international legal theory (nature and sources of international law), international dispute settlement, and the law and practice of international institutions. He also has an interest in how specialised areas of international law (eg international criminal law, international environmental law, international investment law, and the law of armed conflict) interact with general international law.
Gleider is a member of the Academic Review Board of the Cambridge Journal of International and Comparative Law. He has also been a Visiting Fellow at the Faculty of Law, McGill University (August-October 2013), and the Amsterdam Centre for International Law, Universiteit van Amsterdam (March-June 2014). In January 2014 he participated in the 2014 Harvard Institute for Global Law and Policy workshop in Doha, Qatar.
Gleider is fully fluent in English, French and Spanish, and is conversational in Dutch.
- 2012: Judicial Conversations: The Role of Judiciaries in Resolving International Conflicts. (£3385.00 from Modern Law Review)
- Hernández, Gleider I. (2014). The International Court of Justice and the Judicial Function. Oxford Oxford University Press.
- Hernandez, Gleider I. (2010). The International Judge: A Book Review. Leiden Journal of International Law 23(1): 272-276.
- Hernández, G.I. (Forthcoming). Interpretative Authority and the International Judiciary. In Interpretation in International Law. Bianchi, A., Windsor, M. & Peat, D. Oxford University Press.
- Hernández, G.I. (Published). The Interaction between Investment Law and the Law of Armed Conflict in the Interpretation of Full Protection and Security Clauses. In Investment Law within International Law: An Integrationist Perspective. Baetens, F. Cambridge University Press.
- Hernández, G.I. (2015). Effectiveness. In Fundamental Concepts in International Law. d'Aspremont, J. & Singh, S. Edward Elgar.
- Hernández, G.I. (2014). International Judicial Law-Making. In Research Handbook on International Law-Making. Brölmann, C. & Radi, Y. Edward Elgar.
- Hernández, G.I. (2014). Interpretation. In International Legal Positivism in a Post-Modern World. d'Aspremont, Jean & Kammerhofer, Jorg. Cambridge University Press.
- Hernández, G.I. (2013). Federated Entities in International Law: disaggregating the federal state?. In Statehood and Self-Determination: Reconciling Tradition and Modernity in International Law. French, D. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. 491-512.
- Sloan, J. & Hernández, G.I. (2013). The Role of the International Court of Justice in the Development of the Institutional Law of the United Nations. In The Development of International Law by the International Court of Justice. Tams, C.J. & Sloan, J. Oxford: Oxford University Press. 197-235.
- Simma, Bruno & Hernandez, Gleider I. (2011). Legal Consequences of an Impermissible Reservation to a Human Rights Treaty: Where Do We Stand?. In The Law of Treaties beyond the Vienna Convention. Cannizzaro, Enzo. Oxford Oxford University Press. 60-85.
- Hernandez, Gleider I. (2011). Non-State Actors from the Perspective of the International Court of Justice. In Participants in the International Legal System: Multiple Perspectives on Non-State Actors in International Law. d'Aspremont, Jean. Abingdon, Oxon: Routledge Cavendish. 140-164.
- Tomka, Peter & Hernandez, Gleider I. (2011). Provisional Measures in the International Tribunal for the Law of the Sea. In Coexistence, Cooperation and Solidarity—Liber Amicorum Ruediger Wolfrum. Matz-Lueck, Nele, Voeneky, Silja, Stoll, Tobias, Hestermeyer, Holger, Roeben, Volker, Seibert-Fohr, Anya & Koenig, Doris. Leiden: Brill Academic Press NV. II: 1763-1787.
- Hernandez, Gleider I. (2010). On Multilingualism and the International Legal Process. In Select Proceedings of the European Society of International Law. Ruiz-Fabri, Helene, Wolfrum, Ruediger & Gogolin, Jana Oxford: Hart Publishing. 2: 441-460.
Edited works: contributions
- Hernández, G.I. (2014). Article 23. In Le Pacte de la Société des Nations: Commentaire article par article. Kolb, R. Pedone.
- Hernández, G.I. (2014). Article 24. In Le Pacte de la Société des Nations: Commentaire article par article. Kolb, R. Pedone.
- Hernandez, Gleider I. (2011). Effects of Territorial Change. In Max-Planck Encyclopaedia of Public International Law. Wolfrum, Rüdiger Oxford Oxford University Press.
- Hernández, Gleider I. (2011). The Delagoa Bay Railway Arbitration. In Max-Planck Encyclopaedia of Public International Law. Wolfrum, Rüdiger Oxford Oxford University Press.
Journal papers: academic
- Hernandez, G.I. (Published). Beyond Control: New Paradigms for the International Responsibility of the European Union. Cambridge Yearbook of European Legal Studies 15: 643-668.
- Hernández, G.I. (2013). A Reluctant Guardian: The International Court of Justice and the Concept of 'International Community'. British Yearbook of International Law
- Hernández, Gleider I. (2013). Impartiality, Bias, and the International Court of Justice. Cambridge Journal of International and Comparative Law 1(3): 183-207.
Other media: research equivalent
- Hernández, G.I. (Published). Book Symposium Investment Law: The Interaction Between Investment Law And The Law Of Armed Conflict In The Interpretation Of Full Protection And Security Clauses.
- Hernandez, G.I. (2013). Obama’s Counter-Terrorism Speech: A Turning Point or More of the Same?.
- Hernández, G.I. (2013). The Activist Academic in International Legal Scholarship. 2(11).
- Hernández, G.I. (2013). The Concept of “International Community” and the International Court of Justice.
- Hernández, G.I. & Liefländer, T.R. (2011). Can Gaddafi invoke self-defence against NATO; have NATO leaders committed the crime of aggression?. EJILTalk!: blog of the European Journal of International Law
- Hernandez, Gleider I. (2010). Judicial Consciousness, Judicial Function, and the International Court of Justice. PhD: 285.