Publication details for Dr Anca ChiritaChirita, Anca D. (2018), The Rise of Big Data and the Loss of Privacy, in Bakhoum, M., Conde Gallego, B., Mackenordt, M.-O. & Surblytė-Namavičienė, G. eds, MPI Studies on Intellectual Property and Competition Law, 28 Personal Data in Competition, Consumer Protection and IP Law: Towards a Holistic Approach?. Munich, Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg, 153-189.
- Publication type: Conference Paper
- ISSN/ISBN: 9783662576458, 9783662576465, 2191-5822, 2191-5830
- DOI: 10.1007/978-3-662-57646-5_7
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
- View in another repository - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
This chapter offers a classification of personal data based on the study of privacy policies of Google, Microsoft Windows, Facebook, Instagram, Linked-In, and Whisper. It argues that online price discrimination contributes to higher corporate profits and economic inequality. Competition policy intervention is therefore needed to curb this inequality that generates a false impression that a few digital giants are competing on the merit of their ‘highly innovative’ data-driven products and performance. The chapter argues that knowing a consumer’s usage, frequency, preferences, and choices disempowers online consumers.