Publication details for Professor Deryck BeyleveldBeyleveld, Deryck & Townend, David (2004). When is Personal Data Rendered Anonymous? Interpreting Recital 26 of Directive 95/46/EC. Medical Law International 6(2): 73-86.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 0968-5332, 2047-9441
- DOI: 10.1177/096853320400600201
- Keywords: Anonymity; Data protection; EC law; Medical records; Privacy
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
Outlines the scope of Council Directive 95/46. Discusses whether the principles of data protection apply to data rendered anonymous. Examines the difficulty in applying sufficient protection to data once it has been rendered anonymous and stresses the importance of data controllers informing data subjects of any anticipated anonymisation.