Dr Anca Chirita, LL.B, LL.M, Dr. iur. (PhD), FHEA, Of Counsel
Dr Anca Chirita is an Assistant Professor of Competition Law and convenes Competition Law at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels. She is a member of the Senior Common Room at Grey College and St John's College. Since 2017, she has been Director of Ethics and Data Protection and since 2016, a member of the Durham Law School's Research Committee, co-chair of the Law School-Business School's Ethics Committee, member of the Faculty of Social Sciences Ethics Committee, and since 2018 Co-Director of the Institute of Commercial and Corporate Law (ICCL). She has been a Non-Governmental Advisor to the International Competition Network for the European Commission's Directorate-General for Competition (2017-2018 for the Cartel and 2018-2020 for the Unilateral Conduct Working Group).
Anca's research interests lie in competition law, policy, and economics. Recent research has focused on digital competition with oral and written evidence submitted to HM Treasury's Digital Competition Expert Panel, the wider implications of the UK's Withdrawal Agreement for competition and trade, with interview by BBC Radio 4; the competition policy's social paradox (European Competition Journal), data-driven mergers (Hart) and theories of harm; the rise of big data and the loss of privacy (Springer Nature); the impact of Brexit on competition law, which involved providing written evidence published by the House of Lords' EU Internal Market Sub-Committee; the disclosure of evidence under the Directive 2014/104/EU in a book that included papers by four judges of the General Court of the European Union; the theory and practice of discounts (an expert analysis submitted to the Bucharest Court of Appeal); and competition policy and employment, i.e. the social impact of economic efficiency on jobs, employment theories and austerity. Past research has examined procedural rights in EU mergers; the restructuring of 'Too-Big-to Fail' banks through state aid (audio) in the Cambridge Yearbook of European Legal Studies, including interest rate derivatives; the historical interpretation of the EU competition rules in the International & Comparative Law Quarterly; Google's anti-competitive practices in the Competition Law Review and Competition Policy International; EU industrial cartels in the German Journal of European Legal Studies; and free movement and competition law. Her research has been quoted, inter alia, by the European Commission, Director-General for Competition's Speech on the Object of Effects, 2014; in the Directorate-General for Competition's Report on judges' training needs in the field of European competition law, 2016; in an official report on the digital economy commissioned for the German Federal Ministry of Economic Affairs, 2016; and in the 12th report of the House of Lords on 'Brexit: Competition and State aid' (paras 54, 147, 186 & 198), 2018 etc.
She is regularly invited to deliver presentations, lectures, or seminars in Europe: Amsterdam, Utrecht; Saarbrücken, Bonn, Hamburg and the Max Planck for Innovation and Competition in Munich; Bucharest (The Romanian Academy), Craiova; Cork, UC Dublin (twice); Madrid (IE), Valencia; Rome (La Sapienza); Paris (Sciences Po); Oslo; Rovinj (Croatia); in China (Beijing); in the US (Council for European Studies, Columbia University in Philadelphia (including one session chairing)); Berkeley, University of California; 82nd International Atlantic Economic Society conference, Washington D.C. (including session discussant and Best Undergraduate Paper Competition panel judge) and New York University School of Law; and the UK (Cambridge, UCL, Queen Mary University at the Competition Appeal Tribunal, KCL, Chatham House (The Royal Institute of International Affairs), HM Treasury, Nottingham, Warwick, Liverpool and London (53rd Congress of the International Association of Young Lawyers)). Anca has been invited to act as a conference proposal reviewer for the Council for European Studies conferences held in Philadelphia, Glasgow, Chicago and Madrid. She has acted as a peer-reviewer for journals including Oxford Journal of Legal Studies, Oxford University Commonwealth Law Journal, Journal of Antitrust Enforcement, Competition Law Review, Yearbook of Antitrust and Regulatory Studies, and Journal of European Consumer and Market Law, as well as for book proposals or new editions including Oxford University Press, Cambridge University Press, Palgrave Macmillan, Edward Elgar, Hart Publishing and Taylor & Francis and for funding including the Austrian Academy of Sciences.
She was a Deputy Director of Research Impact and Deputy Chair of the Ethics and Data Protection Peer Review group (2016/17), a Co-Director of the European Law Institute (2013/14), and a DAAD visiting fellow at the Max-Planck-Institut für ausländisches und internationales Privatrecht (2012/14). Prior to joining the Law School in 2011, she was a PhD fellow of the German Chancellor Adenauer Foundation at the Europa-Institute, Saarland University, Faculty of Law and Economics. Her PhD in competition law was supervised by Professors Helmuth Schröter and Torsten Stein , awarded summa cum laude and the Dr. Friedrich-Feldbausch-Stiftung Prize . Previously, she completed the LL.M master programme in Saarbrücken. During her PhD, she worked as a national expert with the College of Europe, Bruges (DG COMP project 2010/11), as a trainee with the Monopolies Commission in Bonn (2009), and as a Blue Book trainee with the European Commission in Brussels (2007/08). Since 2011, she has been a member of the Editorial Review Board of Oxford Competition Law.
Anca has been teaching competition law since 2011 as a postgraduate module (40230) convener and since 2012 as an undergraduate module (3011) convener, including LLB, LLM, MJur, and PhD dissertations on competition law. The Monckton Prize rewards the Best Undergraduate Student in Competition Law, including a £500 cash prize and a Mini Pupillage at Monckton Chambers.
Module handbooks, handouts and e-library are available on DUO. Recommended journals are available here. Incoming students can read undergraduate essays or dissertations in the European Competition Law Review: (2018) 39 (2) 49; (2016) 37 (10) 406; 37 (5) 179; (2019) 40 (3) 107 and (2) 83, and in World Competition (2018) 41 (3), 419.
In 2015-16, I was invited to act as a panel judge for the Law category of The Undergraduate Awards; in 2016 as a panel judge for the Best Undergraduate Paper Competition at the 82nd International Atlantic Economic Society conference in Washington D.C. I also chaired the competition law session of postgraduate student conferences organised by the ICCL (2019, 2018, 2017), DELI (2014), including providing competition law training to a delegation of judges, prosecutors and barristers from Thailand (2018) in Durham.
Former supervision students: Rene Wieser (MJur).
External competition law examinations: MPhil / PhD at University of Oxford with Professor Stephen Weatherill (2015, 2018) and Aidan Robertson QC (2019) and PhD at King's College London with Professor Ariel Ezrachi (2017).
A selection of photos taken at various competition law events organised in Durham and elsewhere is available here. Past invited speakers came from academia (University of Cambridge, King's College London, University College Dublin), practice (Linklaters, Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer, Clifford Chance), or competition authorities (DG COMP, CMA).
Recent media inquiries came from Associated Press News, Gardian Labs, Sky News, Bloomberg Newsroom, and Heise online, including panel interview by BBC Radio 4.
Anca is a recipient of prestigious academic scholarships, inter alia, German Academic Exchange Service, Konrad-Adenauer Foundation, Federal Foreign Office (Auswärtiges Amt), LLB (four-year) scholarship for excellent results.
- 2014: China-EU School of Law, China University of Political Science and Law;
- 2012/14: DAAD visiting fellowship;
- 2011: Dr. Friedrich-Feldbausch-Stiftung Prize; Vereinigung der Freunde der Universität des Saarlandes; Konrad Adenauer Stiftung e.V.;
- 2006/10: Konrad-Adenauer doctoral fellowship;
- 2007/08 European Commission Blue Book traineeship;
- 2004/05: Federal Foreign Office Scholarship (Auswärtiges Amt).
- Competition law, including comparative law: UK, EU, and US antitrust law
- Competition policy and strategy
- Economics for competition law, e.g. industrial organization, macroeconomics, political economy etc.
- Cartels, abuse of a dominant position, mergers, and state aid
- Public policy and the intersection of competition law with other areas of law such as intellectual and industrial property, employment, consumer, environmental and data protection laws
- Chirita, Anca D. (2011). The German and Romanian Abuse of Market Dominance in the Light of Article 102 TFEU. Baden-Baden, Germany: Nomos Verlag.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2018). Publication review of Private Power, Online Information Flows and EU Law: Mind the Gap (Oxford, Hart Publishing, 2016) by Angela Daly. European Law Review 43(6): 971-973.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2014). Review of Kiran Klaus Patel and Heike Schweitzer (eds), The Historical Foundations of EU Competition Law (Oxford, Oxford University Press, 2013). Irish Journal of European Law 17(1): 145-148.
Chapter in book
- Chirita, Anca D. (2019). Data-Driven Mergers under EU Competition Law. In The Future of Commercial Law: Ways Forward for Change and Reform,. Akseli, O. & Linarelli, J. Oxford: Hart Publishing.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2018). The Rise of Big Data and the Loss of Privacy. In Personal Data in Competition, Consumer Protection and IP Law - Towards a Holistic Approach?. Bakhoum, M., Gallego Conde, B., Mackenordt, M.-O. & Surblyte, G. Berlin Heidelberg: Springer Nature 37 p. 28: 153-189.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2017). The Disclosure of Evidence under the ‘Antitrust Damages’ Directive 2014/104/EU. In EU Competition and State Aid Rules: Public and Private Enforcement. Tomljenović, V., Bodiroga-Vukobrat, N., Butorac Malnar, V. & Kunda, I. Berlin Heidelberg: Springer. 3: 147-173.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2016). Procedural Rights in EU Administrative Competition Proceedings: Ex Ante Mergers. In Procedural Rights in Competition Law in the EU and China. Cauffman, C. & Hao, Q. Berlin, Heidelberg: Springer-Verlag. 3: 59-99.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2012). Legal Interpretation and Practice versus Legal Theory: A Reconciliation of Competition Goals and a Reply to Andriychuk. In Goals of Competition Law. Zimmer, D. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar. 118-131.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2012). The Impact of Directive 2011/83/EU on Consumer Rights. In Alternative Ways to Ius Commune: The Europeanisation of Private Law. Keirse, A.L.M. & Loos, M.B.M. Cambridge: Intersentia. 65-82.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2007). Abuzul de Poziţie Dominantă în Dreptul Românesc al Cartelurilor în Lumina Dreptului European şi German. In Second Public Romanian-German Colloquium on European Law. Universitaria, Craiova. 221-249.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2007). The Abuse of a Dominant Position under Romanian Antitrust Law. In Second Public Romanian-German Colloquium on European Law. Universitaria, Craiova. 221-249.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2018), The Rise of Big Data and the Loss of Privacy, in Bakhoum, M., Conde Gallego, B., Mackenordt, M.-O. & Surblytė-Namavičienė, G. eds, MPI Studies on Intellectual Property and Competition Law, 28 Personal Data in Competition, Consumer Protection and IP Law: Towards a Holistic Approach?. Munich, Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg, 153-189.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2017). Editorial: Competition and Regulatory Trends in Digital Markets. The Competition Law Review, 12 (2): The Competition Law Scholars Forum, 119-130.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2018). Competition Policy's Social Paradox: Are We Losing Sight of the Wood for the Trees?. European Competition Journal 14(2-3): 367-416.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2015). Google's Anti-competitive and Unfair Practices in Digital Leisure Markets. Competition Law Review 11(1): 109-131.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2015). The Judicial Review of the European Union Industrial Cartels. Zeitschrift für europarechtliche Studien (German Journal of European Legal Studies) 18(4): 407-441.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2014). A Legal-Historical Review of the EU Competition Rules. International & Comparative Law Quarterly 63(2): 281-316.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2014). Recent Developments in EU Cartels. Oxford Competition Law
- Chirita, Anca D. (2014). The Impact of the European Union Current Crisis on Law, Policy and Society. Cambridge Yearbook of European Legal Studies 16: 255-288.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2012). Cross-Border Service Payments under EU Fair Competition and SEPA Rules. European Competition Journal 8(2): 403-428.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2012). Recent Abuse of Dominance and Cartel Cases. European Competition Law Review 33(5): 227-236
- Chirita, Anca D. (2011). Access to Essential Facilities: A Comparative Competition Law Perspective of Shared Use and Recent Margin. Squeeze Cases, Competition Survey Studies, Researches and Analysis (1): 32-41.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2011). Accesul la Facilităţi Esenţiale: O Perspectivă Comparativă a Dreptului Concurenţei Comerciale Referitoare la Folosirea Comună şi Cazuri Recente Privind Preţurile Forfetare. Concurenţă Studii, cercetări şi analize privind protecţia concurenţei economice. = Competition Survey: Studies, Researches and Analyses Relating to Economic Competition (1): 38-48.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2011). Concurenţa comercială şi proprietatea industrială în dreptul Uniunii Europene. Competition Survey Studies, Researches and Analysis
- Chirita, Anca D. (2010). Undistorted, Un(fair) Competition, Consumer Welfare and the Interpretation of Article 102 TFEU. World Competition Law and Economics Review 33(3): 417-436.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2009). The EC Commission’s Guidance Paper on the Application of Article 82 EC: An Efficient Means of Compliance for Germany?. European Competition Journal 5(3): 677-700.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2008). The Abuse of Dominant Market Position under Romanian Antitrust Law in Light of European Antitrust Law. European Competition Law Review 29(3): 162-170.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2008). The Analysis of Market Dominance and Restrictive Practices under German Antitrust Law in Light of EC Antitrust Law. European Competition Journal 4(2): 415-441.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2018), Data-Driven Mergers under EU Competition Law, 13th edition of the Academic Society of Competition Law Conference on the 'Effects of Digitalization, Globalization, and Nationalism on Competition Law. New York University School of Law, USA.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2018), HM Treasury's Digital Competition Expert Panel, HM Treasury's Oral Evidence Round Table. The Law Society, London.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2018), The Crossroads of Competition, Technology and Big Data, Competition Policy 2018: The relationship between antitrust, innovation and investment. Chatham House, The Royal Institute of International Affairs, London.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2017), Data-Driven Mergers under US Anti-Trust and EU Competition Law, Society of Legal Scholars Annual Seminar 2017 The Future of Commercial Law: Ways Forward for Harmonisation. Durham, England.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2017), Impact of Economic Efficiency on Employment: A Case Study of Mergers and Acquisitions, Durham Law School Staff Seminar. Durham, England.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2017), The Shape of UK Competition Law post Brexit: an Inquiry into the History and Evolution of British Competition Laws and Institutions, Brexit Lecture Series. Durham Law School.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2016), Chairing the Panel on 'Competitive Markets, Competitive States: Business, Trade, and Labor in Europe', The 23rd International Conference of Europeanists. Pennsylvania, U.S.A, Philadelphia PA.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2016), Distribution Networks under UK Competition Law, Distribution Networks from the Perspective of Competition Law. Valencia, Spain.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2016), Impact of Economic Efficiency on Employment: A Case Study of Mergers and Acquisitions, 82nd International Atlantic Economic Society Conference. Washington, DC.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2016), Resilient Neo-Liberalism by Means of Promoting Fierce and Efficiency-Driven Free Market Competition, The 23rd International Conference of Europeanists. Pennsylvania, U.S.A, Philadelphia PA.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2016), The EU Competition Policy's ‘Social' Paradox: Moving Towards ‘Full' Employment with Austerity?, 28th Annual Meeting Conference of the Society for the Advancement of Socio-Economics. Berkeley, University of California, U.S.A.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2015), Consumer Rights, Misleading Advertising and Privacy in the Digital Age, 15th Conference of the International Association of Consumer Law. Centre for the Study of European Contract Law, University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands, Centre for the Study of European Contract Law, University of Amsterdam.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2015), Distribution Agreements & Antitrust Issues at the Working Session on the 'Distribution of Pharmaceuticals and Medical Devices', 53rd Annual Congress of the International Association of Young Lawyers (AIJA). London, London.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2015), EU Competition Law and Social Policy, Socio-Legal Studies Association Annual Conference. University of Warwick, England, University of Warwick.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2015), Google's Anti-competitive and Unfair Practices in Digital Leisure Markets, Competition Law in Leisure Markets Competition Law Scholars Forum XXIII Workshop. Madrid.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2015), The Disclosure of Evidence under the Antitrust Damages Directive 2014/104/EU, in Tomljenović, V., Bodiroga-Vukobrat, N., Butorac Malnar, V. & Kunda, I. eds, Europeanization and Globalization, 3 The 4th Petar Šarčević international scientific conference: EU Competition and State Aid Rules: Interaction between Public and Private Enforcement. Rovinj, Croatia, Springer, Berlin.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2015), The Interplay between Free Movement and Competition Law, Jean Monnet Centre for Europe in the World | Seminar Series. London.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2015), The Role of EU Competition Law and Policy in Promoting Solidarity and Combating Austerity, 22nd International Conference of Europeanists: Contradictions: Envisioning European Futures, Council for European Studies, Columbia University. Sciences Po, Paris, France, Sciences Po, Paris.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2014), A Critical Review of Recent Substantive and Procedural Developments in EU Cartel, ISLE 2014 - 10th Annual Conference of the Italian Society of Law and Economics. Rome, Italy, Italian Society of Law and Economics (ISLE), University of Rome 'La Sapienza'.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2014), A Legal Historical Review of the European Union Competition Rules, Joint Liverpool European Law & Liverpool Economic Governance Seminar on European Competition Law. Liverpool.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2014), EU Cartel Infringements: a critical evaluation of recent substantive and procedural issues, The Society of Legal Scholars Annual Conference. Nottingham, England, Nottingham.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2014), Procedural Rights in EU Competition Law Procedures – Ex ante Procedures (Mergers), Conference on Procedural Rights in Competition Law. Beijing, China, China-EU School of Law, China University of Political Science and Law, Beijing.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2014), The Interplay between Free Movement of Goods/Services and Competition Law: object/effect restrictions of competition on free trade, The Constitutional Implications of Free Movement, European Law Network. Oslo, Norway, University of Oslo.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2013), Competition, Financial Markets and the Economic Crisis, Durham University Pre-sessional Lecture. Josephine Butler College, Durham, England.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2013), The Impact of the European Union Current Crisis on Law, Policy and Society, CELS Lunchtime Seminar Series 2013-2014, Centre for European Legal Studies, Seminar. University of Cambridge, England.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2012), A Comparative Analysis of Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts, 4th Annual Conference of the Irish Society of Comparative Law. University College Cork, Ireland, University College Cork.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2012), In Search of Effectiveness, Sixth Annual Postgraduate Workshop: In Search of Effectiveness - Current Trends and Challenges in Competition Law Enforcement. University College Dublin, Ireland, University College Dublin.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2012), Pricing Practices under Article 102 TFEU, 6th IMEDIPA (University College London) International Conference on Competition Law and Policy. Faculty of Law, University of Bucharest, University of Bucharest, Faculty of Lwa.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2011), Competition and Industrial Property under EU law, Bucharest, The Romanian Academy, Bucharest.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2011), Competition Law, Policy, and Enforcement, 7th Annual Competition & Regulation Meeting: Competition Policy for Emerging Economies: When and How?. Amsterdam Center for Law & Economics, The Netherlands, Amsterdam Center for Law & Economics.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2011), Cross-Border Service Payments under EU Fair Competition and SEPA Rules, Durham Law School Seminar Series 2011/2012. Durham, England.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2011), Effects of the New Directive, Unfair Contract Terms, On-line Bargains and the Effectiveness of Private Enforcement for EU consumers, The Optional Instrument and the Consumer Rights Directive – Alternative ways to a new Ius Commune in contract law. The Ius Commune Congress, Utrecht, The Netherlands, Ius Commune Congress, Utrecht.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2011), The Importance of Access to Essential Facilities in Building Competitive Markets in Network Industries, The Competition Council Annual Conference. Bucharest, Bucharest.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2011), The Interplay of EU Competition Law and Industrial Property, The 3rd Annual Conference of the Irish Society of Comparative Law, University College Dublin. Ireland.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2010), How to Reconcile the Deontological Nature of Competition with Welfare-oriented Economic Goals, Academic Society for Competition Law (ASCOLA) Goals of Competition Law, University of Bonn. Germany.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2009), A Critical Analysis of the EC Commission’s Guidance Paper on the Application of Article 82 EC, Competition Appeal Tribunal: ICC Annual International PhD Conference. Queen Mary, University of London, England, Queen Mary University of London.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2008), The Abuse of Dominance under the German Act against Restraints of Competition, Third German-Romanian Colloquium on European Law. Saarbrücken, Germany, Saarbrücken.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2008), The Analysis of Market Dominance and of Restrictive Practices under German Antitrust Law, International Graduate Legal Research Conference. King’s College London, England, King's College London.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2008), The Ordoliberal Thinking in light of Recent Developments in German and European Antitrust Law, UCL Laws Graduate Networking Conference. University College London, England, University College London.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2007), The Abuse of a Dominant Position under Romanian Antitrust Law in light of European Antitrust Law, International Graduate Legal Research Conference. King’s College London, England, King's College London.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2007), The Abuse of Dominant Position under Romanian Antitrust Law: Principles and Perspectives, Second Romanian-German Colloquium on European Law. University of Craiova, Romania, University of Craiova.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2018). Written Evidence to HM Treasury's Digital Competition Expert Panel. HM Treasury.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2017). Written Evidence to the House of Lords' EU Internal Market Sub-Committee on Brexit: competition inquiry. London, Lords Select Committee.