Dr Mohammad Hedayati-Kakhki
(email at firstname.lastname@example.org)
Mohammad Hedayati-Kakhki graduated in law at Shahid Beheshti University in Tehran in 1990 and studied for a Master’s in International Law at the University of Shiraz in 1999. He practised as a Frist-Class Attorney in Iran, within both civil and criminal law.
Following completion of a PhD in International Politics and Law at Durham University in 2008, he undertook various academic positions, including lecturing postgraduate subjects. He was the co-founder of Islam Law and Modernity, a research cluster at Durham University and its Associate Director from 2011 – 2014. He is currently a Special Advisor for the same research group, as well as advising the University's Centre for Criminal Law and Criminal Justice on Islamic jurisprudence. He has taught both Islamic Law and the Introduction to the Law of Oil Contracts at LLM level, and continues to teach at Durham Law School on a part-time basis.
He is also an expert on Islamic law, having acted extensively as an Independent Consultant and academic in various cross border public, commercial, criminal and human rights litigation within both English and foreign courts.
His most recent research and publications include legal and constitutional analysis of topical Middle Eastern events, as well as the general study of Comparative and International Law in an Islamic context.
Centre for Criminal Law and Criminal Justice (CCLCJ).
Islam, law and modernity (ILM).
Compatibility of International Human Rights standards with Islamic Law.
Legal mechanisms for reform of Islamic Law.
Political and legal issues in the context of international oil contracts.
International and Comparative Criminal Law.
Introduction to the Law of Oil Contracts.
Centre for Criminal Law & Justice
Chapter in book
- Hedayati-kakhki, Mohammad (2014). Islamic Law. In General Defences in Criminal Law - Domestic and Comparitive Perspectives, Substantive Issues in Criminal Law. Reed, Alan & Bohlander, Michael Ashgate.
- Hedayati-kakhki, Mohammad (2013). Islamic Law. In Participation in Crime - Domestic and Comparitive Perspectives, Substantive Issues in Criminal Law. Reed, Alan & Bohlander, Michael Ashgate.
- Hedayati-Kakhki, Mohammad. (2011). The Conflation of Provocation and Justification: An Analysis of Partial Defences to Murder in Islamic Law. In Loss of Control and Diminished Responsibility - Domestic, Comparative and International Perspectives on the Coroners and Justice Act 2009. Ashgate Publishing Ltd.
- Hedayati-kakhki, Mohammad (2013). Islam, Law and Modernity - A new research group at Durham University. GAIR-Mitteilungen 36-49.
- Hedayati-Kakhki, Mohammad. (2009). Coexistence of Democracy and Rule by Jurisconsult within the Shi’ite System of Law. Shi’a Affairs Journal 2.
- Bohlander, Michael. & Mohammad M. Hedayati-Kakhki. (2009). Criminal Justice under Shari’ah in the 21st Century – An Inter-Cultural View. Arab Law Quarterly (23).
- Hedayati-kakhki, M. (2014). False dawn? Iran on the edge of the international oil market. The conversation
Other (Digital/Visual Media)
- Hedayati-Kakhki, M. (2009). Futility of Lawful Appeal in the Iranian Election Crisis. Radio Free Europe / Radio Liberty
- Hedayati-kakhki, Mohammad (2013). Evaluation of the January 2013 Country of Origin Information (COI) Report on Iran. The Independant Advisory Group on Country Information (IAGCI).
- Hedayati-kakhki, Mohammad (2011). Evaluation of the August 2010 Country of Origin Information (COI) Report on Iran. The Independant Advisory Group on Country Information (IAGCI).
- Hedayati-Kakhki, Mohammad. & Molavi, Reza (2009). Response to the Country of Origin Information Report. UK Border Agency. UK Border Agency.