Dr Dimitrios Kagiaros
Dr Dimitrios Kagiaros joined Durham Law School as an Assistant Professor in Public Law and Human Rights in 2020, having previously been a Lecturer in Law (Education & Research) at the University of Exeter and a Teaching Fellow in Public Law and Human Rights at the University of Edinburgh, School of Law. He holds an LLB in Law from the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, School of Law and an LLM in International Human Rights Law from Brunel University in London. He completed his PhD at the University of Hull, focusing on whistleblower protection in the European Court of Human Rights. His research interests include the European Convention system of human rights protection, the impact of the European sovereign debt crisis on human rights, and the case law of the European Court of Human Rights in relation to Freedom of Expression. Dimitrios serves as a member of the editorial board of The European Convention on Human Rights Law Review (Brill Publishing).
Dimitrios welcomes inquiries for PhD supervision from prospective doctoral students in his areas of research interest.
UK Constitutional Law
Advanced Issues in Public Law
Advanced Issues in Human Rights
- Austerity and Human Rights
- European Convention on Human Rights
- Freedom of Expression
- International Human Rights Law
- UK Constitutional Law
Chapter in book
- Tzevelekos, V. & Kagiaros, D. (2020). The Case of the Eight Turkish Military Personnel who Sought Asylum in Greece after the Failed 2016 Coup in Turkey: Fair Trial as a Reason Precluding Non-Refoulement and (Stricto Sensu) Proportionality. In Human Rights in Times of Illiberal Democracies: Liber Amicorum in Memoriam of Stavros Tsakyrakis. Voyatzis, P., Tsirli, M. & Kiousopoulou, L. Nomiki Vivliothiki. 57-80.
- Kagiaros, Dimitrios (2019). Rape Crisis Centre v Secretary of State for the Home Department 2000 SC 527. In Scottish Feminist Judgments: (Re)Creating Law from the Outside In. Cowan, Sharon, Kennedy, Chloë & Munro, Vanessa Hart Publishing. 369-388.
- Kagiaros, Dimitrios (2019). Seán MacBride: A Life at the Frontline. In The Faces of Human Rights. McCall Smith K, Wouters J & Gomez Isa F Hart Publishing. 211-218.
- Kagiaros, Dimitrios (2019). Vulnerability as a Path to a ‘Social Minimum’? An Analysis of ECtHR Jurisprudence. In Specifying and Securing A Social Minimum in the Battle Against Poverty. Kotkas, Toomas, Leijten, Ingrid & Pennings, Frans Hart Publishing. 245-260.
- Kagiaros, Dimitrios (2019). When to Use European Consensus: Assessing the Differential Treatment of Minority Groups by the European Court of Human Rights. In Building Consensus on European Consensus. Tzevelekos, Vassilis & Kapotas, Panos Cambridge University Press. 283-310.
- Kagiaros, Dimitrios & Wyper, Amanda (2018). Protecting Whistleblowers: The Roles of Public and Private International Law. In Linkages and Boundaries in Private and Public International Law. Ruiz Abou-Nigm V, McCall-Smith K & French D Hart Publishing. 217-240.
- Kagiaros, Dimitrios (2019). Austerity Measures at the European Court of Human Rights: Can the Court Establish a Minimum of Welfare Provisions?. European Public Law 25(4): 535-558.
- Adam, Elisenda Casanas, Kagiaros, Dimitrios & Tierney, Stephen (2018). Democracy in Question? Direct Democracy in the European Union. European Constitutional Law Review 14(2): 261-282.
- Kagiaros, Dimitrios (2017). BPP Holdings Ltd and others v HMRC: Securing administrative justice in tax tribunals. British Tax Review. British Tax Review 5: 641.
- Kagiaros, Dimitrios (2016). Bédat v. Switzerland (Eur. Ct. H.R.). International Legal Materials 55(6): 1126.
- Kagiaros, Dimitrios (2015). Protecting ‘national security’ whistleblowers in the Council of Europe: an evaluation of three approaches on how to balance national security with freedom of expression. The International Journal of Human Rights 19(4): 408-428.
Other (Digital/Visual Media)
- Caird, Simson Jack, Daly, Tom, Grogan, Joelle & Kagiaros, Dimitrios (2019). UK Report 2018’ for the I·CONnect - Clough Center 2018 Global Review of Constitutional Law.