Dr Nicolas Perrone
(email at firstname.lastname@example.org)
Nicolás M. Perrone joined Durham Law School as Lecturer in Law in September 2016. He is a native of Argentina and Italy. Nicolás holds an LLM and a PhD from the London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE), and degrees from the University of Buenos Aires and the Latin American Social Sciences Institute. Nicolás works in the field of international economic law, specialising in foreign investment law and policy. He has worked and consulted for the Argentine and Ecuadorian governments, UNCTAD and the OECD.
Nicolás’s research looks at the relational implications of the international investment regime, international investment treaties and investment arbitration. He focuses on how the international investment regime affects the rights and subjectivity of foreign investors, host states and local communities, ultimately shaping the local economy and the development process. In his PhD thesis ‘The International Investment Regime and Foreign Investors’ Rights: Another view of a popular story,’ Nicolás relied on property and contract theory to examine the meaning and content of foreign investor rights.
Nicolás teaches undergraduate and postgraduate courses, including International Investment Law and Advanced Issues of International Economic Law.
Prior to joining Durham Law School, Nicolás was an Assistant Professor at Externado University (Colombia), a Visiting Professor at the University of Eastern Piedmont (Italy), a Visiting Lecturer at Xi’an Jiaotong Law School (China), and an Adjunct Professor at Palermo University (Argentina).
Nicolás is a junior faculty member of the Institute for Global Law and Policy based at Harvard Law School, where he has convened writing workshops and taught in the International Economic Law and Regulation Stream. He is also a Visiting Faculty Member of the International University College of Turin, a Visiting Professor at Externado University (Colombia), and a Fellow of the Centre for Interdisciplinary Studies on Industrial and Economic Law at the University of Buenos Aires.
Nicolás has been awarded several grants and scholarships. In 2015, he received a Juan Celaya Grant from the International Institute for the Sociology of Law to examine the narratives of justification and balancing in UNCTAD World Investment Reports (1991-2015). In 2014, he was awarded an IGLP Doha-Santander Grant to conduct a comparative study of oil and gas contracts in Colombia and Qatar. Nicolás pursued his LLM and PhD at the London School of Economics and Political Science thanks to a PhD Award from the LSE and a British Chevening Scholarship from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office.
Nicolás speaks English, Spanish, Portuguese and French.
- 2015: Juan Celaya Grant, International Institute for the Sociology of Law: The narratives of property in the International Investment Regime (€1,500)
- 2014: IGLP Doha-Santander Grant: Managing Foreign Investment in Natural Resources: Can Colombia learn from Qatar? ($2,000)
Chapter in book
- Lang, Andrew & Perrone, Nicolás (2017). Conclusive chapter. In Southern alternatives on trade and investment regulation. Sanchez Badin, Michelle & Morosini, Fabio Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Perrone, Nicolás (2017). Taking the Expectations of Local Populations Seriously: A fresh start for foreign investment governance?. In European Yearbook of International Economic Law 2017. Bungenberg, M., Krajewski, M., Tams, C., Terhechte, J.P. & Ziegler, A.R. Springer. 8.
- Perrone, Nicolás (2016). Neoliberalism and economic sovereignty. Property, contracts, and foreign investment. In Neoliberal Legality: Understanding the Role of Law in the Neoliberal Project. Brabazon, Honor Routledge. 45-62.
- Perrone, Nicolás (2013). The International Investment Regime and Foreign Investors’ Rights: Another view of a popular story. PhD: 293.
- Perrone, Nicolás M. (2017). The Emerging Global Right to Investment: Understanding the reasoning behind foreign investor rights. Journal of International Dispute Settlement 8(4): 673-694.
- Perrone, Nicolás M. (2017). UNCTAD World Investment Reports 1991-2015: 25 years of narratives justifying and balancing foreign investor rights. The Journal of World Investment & Trade
- Gomez-Suarez, Andrei, Perrone, Nicolás & Prieto Ríos, Enrique (2016). Foreign Investors and the Colombian Peace Process. International Community Law Review 18(3-4): 223-247.
- Perrone, Nicolás (2016). The International Investment Regime after the Global Crisis of Neoliberalism: Rupture or Continuity?. Indiana Journal of Global Legal Studies 23(2): 603-627.
- Perrone, Nicolas (2016). The international investment regime and local populations: are the weakest voices unheard?. Transnational Legal Theory 7(3): 383-405.
- Perrone, Nicolás (2015). The Governance of Foreign Investment at a Crossroad: Is an overlapping consensus the way forward?. Global Jurist 15(1): 1-28.
- Perrone, Nicolás (2014). The International Investment Regime and Foreign Investors’ Rights: Another view of a popular story. Manchester Journal of International Economic Law 11(3): 397-420.
- Perrone, Nicolás (2013). Restrictions to Foreign Acquisitions of Agricultural Land in Argentina and Brazil. Globalizations 10(1): 205-9.
- Perrone, Nicolás (2012). Foreign investment in Agriculture and High Commodity Prices: A contribution to understanding Mercosur’s present challenge. Integration and Trade - Inter-American Development Bank 16(35): 61-68.
Other (Digital/Visual Media)
- Perrone, Nicolás (2016). International investment law, Development and Sovereignty: No Harm?. Alternautas(3): 1.
- Perrone, Nicolás & Rojas, Gustavo (2015). Brazilian BITs: more than a new investment treaty model?. Columbia FDI Perspectives(159).
- Perrone, Nicolás (2015). The International Investment Regime at a Crossroad: Should we be rethinking foreign investment governance?. International Treaty News Quarterly - International Institute for Sustainable Development (6): 1.
- Perrone, Nicolás (2011). Responsible Agricultural Investment: Is there a significant role for the law to promote sustainability?. Columbia FDI Perspectives (38).
- Perrone, Nicolás (2016), The Emerging Global Right to Investment: Understanding the reasoning behind investment awards, Sciences Po Law School, Paris.
- Perrone, Nicolás (2016), UNCTAD World Investment Reports 1991-2015: 25 years of narratives justifying and balancing foreign investor rights, Università di Torino, Turin.
- Perrone, Nicolás (2015), Brazilian Bilateral Investment Treaties: More than a new investment treaty model?, Universidade de São Paulo, Sao Paulo.
- Perrone, Nicolás (2015), Foreign Investment Protection: A Latin American perspective, Latin American IGLP Regional Workshop, Universidad de los Andes, Bogotá.
- Perrone, Nicolás (2015), The Emerging Global Right to Investment, Mississippi College of Law, Jackson.