Departmental Research Projects
Dr Rebecca Hodge
2016 - present: Associate Professor, Department of Geography, Durham University
2011 - 2016: Lecturer, Department of Geography, Durham University
2007 - 2011: Post-Doctoral Research Associate, School of Geographical and Earth Sciences, University of Glasgow.
2003 - 2006: PhD, ‘Grain-scale approaches to modelling and measuring fluvial sedimentology and bedload transport’, Department of Geography, University of Cambridge. Awarded October 2007.
My research interests are primarily in the area of fluvial geomorphology, with a particular focus on sediment transport. I use a combination of numerical modelling and field measurements to quantify sediment processes. In both approaches I am interested in the application of new techniques, for example the use of Discrete Element and Cellular Automaton models, CT scanning and Terrestrial Laser Scanning. See http://www.nercpatches.org for a current project. A key focus of my research is the way in which small scale processes upscale, for example the way in which the properties and interactions of sediment grains affect sediment flux at the reach scale. I am happy to be contacted about possible PhD projects in these areas.
Chapter in book
- Hodge, R.A. Sediment processes in bedrock-alluvial rivers: Research since 2010 and modelling the impact of fluctuating sediment supply on sediment cover. In: Tsutsumi, D. & Laronne, J. Gravel-Bed Rivers: Process and Disasters. Chichester, UK Hoboken, NJ: Wiley-Blackwell; 2017:639-670.
- Voepel, H., Leyland, J., Hodge, R.A., Ahmed, S. & Sear, D. Development of a vector-based 3D grain entrainment model with application to X-ray computed tomography (XCT) scanned riverbed sediment. Earth Surface Processes and Landforms. 2019;44:3057-3077.
- Ferguson, R., Hardy, R. & Hodge, R. Flow resistance and hydraulic geometry in bedrock rivers with multiple roughness length scales. Earth Surface Processes and Landforms. 2019;44:2437-2449.
- Turowski, Jens M. & Hodge, Rebecca A probabilistic framework for the cover effect in bedrock erosion. Earth Surface Dynamics. 2017;5:311-330.
- Ferguson, R.I., Sharma, B.P., Hodge, R.A., Hardy, R.J. & Warburton, J. Bed load tracer mobility in a mixed bedrock/alluvial channel. Journal of Geophysical Research – Earth Surface. 2017;122:807-822.
- Maniatis, G., Hoey, T.B., Hassan, M.A., Sventek, J., Hodge, R.A., Drysdale, T. & Valyrakis, M. Calculating the explicit probability of entrainment based on inertial acceleration measurements. Journal of Hydraulic Engineering. 2017;143:04016097.
- Ferguson, R.I., Sharma, B.P., Hardy, R.J,, Hodge, R.A. & Warburton, J. Flow resistance and hydraulic geometry in contrasting reaches of a bedrock channel. Water Resources Research. 2017;53:2278-2293.
- Hodge, R.A. & Hoey, T.B. A Froude-scaled model of a bedrock-alluvial channel reach: 1. Hydraulics. Journal of Geophysical Research: Earth Surface. 2016;121:1578-1596.
- Hodge, R.A. & Hoey, T.B. A Froude-scaled model of a bedrock-alluvial channel reach: 2. Sediment cover. Journal of Geophysical Research: Earth Surface. 2016;121:1597-1618.
- Hodge, R.A., Hoey, T., Maniatis, G. & Leprêtre, E. Formation and erosion of sediment cover in an experimental bedrock-alluvial channel. Earth Surface Processes and Landforms. 2016;41:1409-1420.
- Hodge, R.A., Sear, D.A. & Leyland, J. Spatial variations in surface sediment structure in riffle-pool sequences: a preliminary test of the Differential Sediment Entrainment Hypothesis (DSEH). Earth Surface Processes and Landforms. 2013;38:449-465.
- Hodge, R.A. & Hoey, T.B. Upscaling from grain-scale processes to alluviation in bedrock channels using a cellular automaton model. Journal of Geophysical Research. 2012;117:F101017.
- Hodge, R.A., Hoey, T.B. & Sklar, L.S. Bed load transport in bedrock rivers: The role of sediment cover in grain entrainment, translation and deposition. Journal of Geophysical Research - Earth Surface. 2011;116:F04028.
- Hodge, R.A. Using simulated Terrestrial Laser Scanning to analyse errors in high-resolution scan data of irregular surfaces. ISPRS Journal of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing. 2010;65:227-240.
- Hodge, R.A., Brasington, J. & Richards, K. Analysing laser-scanned digital terrain models of gravel bed surfaces: linking morphology to sediment transport processes and hydraulics. Sedimentology. 2009;56:2024-2043.
- Hodge, R.A., Brasington, J. & Richards, K. In situ characterization of grain-scale fluvial morphology using Terrestrial Laser Scanning. Earth Surface Processes and Landforms. 2009;34:954-968.
- Hodge, R.A., Richards, K. & Brasington, J. A physically-based bedload transport model developed for 3-D reach-scale cellular modelling. Geomorphology. 2007;90:244-262.
- Richards, K., Bithell, M., Dove, M. & Hodge, R.A. Discrete-element modelling: methods and applications in the environmental sciences. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London Series A-Mathematical Physical and Engineering Sciences. 2004;362:1797-1816.
- 2019: i-CONN: Interdisciplinary connectivity: Understanding and managing complex systems using connectivity science, Interreg (ERDF) Europe, €4 million, 2019-10-01 - 2023-09-30
- 2018: Listening to Rivers: Using Sound to Measure Water Velocity (£15780.00 from )
- 2015: Carnegie Trust for the Universities of Scotland, Attal M, Hodge RA. Waterfall dynamics in heterogeneous bedrock: modelling study and application to NE Iceland. £7000.
- 2014: How does the development of particle scale structure control river scale morphology? (£174957.34 from NERC - Natural Environment Research Council)
- 2014: NERC Advanced Training Short Course, Rosser NJ, McCaffrey KJW, Hodge RA. Terrestrial laser scanning for the geosciences, £20833.
- 2014: NERC Equipment Grant: Evaluating the use of seismic data for monitoring fluvial bedload transport. Equivalent value of £2700.
- 2013: Quantifying the controls on sediment patch formation in bedrock rivers using a scaled physical model (£2995.00 from Royal Geographical Society)