Departmental Research Projects
Professor Rob Ferguson, MA, PhD (Cantab.)
Professor of Physical Geography 2004 - 2009, now retired with Emeritus Professor status.
Previously a student at Cambridge (BA 1968, PhD 1972) then a Lecturer / Professor in Hull (1971 - 1977), Stirling (1977 - 1989), and Sheffield (1989 - 2004).
I'm a mathematically-minded physical geographer known mainly for work on river channel form and process, though I've also published on meltwater hydrology and the estimation of river loads. Much of my research has combined theoretically-informed analysis of field measurements with modelling of one kind or another (conceptual, mathematical, or numerical) at a range of scales. I'm still research active to some extent, most recently as regards flow resistance and bedrock river processes, but as an Emeritus Professor I am not able to offer PhD or postdoc positions.
For an up-to-date list of journal papers click on the Researcher ID button above. For a full publication list, including some highly-cited book chapters, type 'Rob Ferguson' into Google Scholar. Most of my publications are freely available through the relevant journal website, but if not you can email me to ask for a pdf for personal use.
Chapter in book
- Ferguson, R Reach-scale flow resistance. In: Shroder J F (Editor-in-chief) & Wohl, E (Volume Editor) Treatise on Geomorphology. Academic Press; 2013:50-68.
- Ferguson, R. & Hoey, T. Effects of tributaries on main-channel geomorphology. In: Rice, S.P., Roy, A.G. & Rhoads, B.L. River Confluences, Tributaries and the Fluvial Network. Chichester: John Wiley & Sons, Ltd; 2008:183-208.
- Ferguson, R. Gravel-bed rivers at the reach scale. In: Habersack, H., Piegay, H. & Rinaldi, M. Gravel-Bed Rivers VI: From Process Understanding to River Restoration. Amsterdam.: Elsevier; 2008:33-53.
- Bates, P.D., Lane, S.N. & Ferguson, R.I. Computational Fluid Dynamics: Applications in Environmental Hydraulics. John Wiley & Sons Ltd; 2005.
- Ferguson, R., Hardy, R. & Hodge, R. Flow resistance and hydraulic geometry in bedrock rivers with multiple roughness length scales. Earth Surface Processes and Landforms. 2019;44:2437-2449.
- Blom, Astrid, Chavarrías, Víctor, Ferguson, Robert I. & Viparelli, Enrica Advance, Retreat, and Halt of Abrupt Gravel-Sand Transitions in Alluvial Rivers. Geophysical Research Letters. 2017;44:9751.
- Ferguson, R.I., Sharma, B.P., Hardy, R.J,, Hodge, R.A. & Warburton, J. Flow resistance and hydraulic geometry in contrasting reaches of a bedrock channel. Water Resources Research. 2017;53:2278-2293.
- Pelosi, A., Schumer, R., Parker, G. & Ferguson, R.I. The cause of advective slowdown of tracer pebbles in rivers: Implementation of Exner-Based Master Equation for coevolving streamwise and vertical dispersion. Journal of Geophysical Research: Earth Surface. 2016;121:623.
- Church, M. & Ferguson, R.I. Morphodynamics: Rivers beyond steady state. Water Resources Research. 2015;51:1883.
- Ferguson, R.I., Church, M., Rennie, C.D. & Venditti, J.G. Reconstructing a sediment pulse: Modeling the effect of placer mining on Fraser River, Canada. Journal of Geophysical Research: Earth Surface. 2015;120:1436.
- Ferguson, R.I. River channel slope, flow resistance, and gravel entrainment thresholds. Water Resources Research. 2012;48:W05517.
- Raven, E.K., Ferguson, R.I. & Lane, S.N. A coupled sediment routing and lateral migration model for gravel-bed rivers. Hydrological Processes. 2011;25:1887-1898.
- Ferguson, R.I., Bloomer, D.J. & Church, M. Evolution of an advancing gravel front: observations from Vedder Canal, British Columbia. Earth Surface Processes & Landforms. 2011;36:1172-1182.
- Verhaar, P.M., Biron, P.M., Ferguson, R.I. & Hoey, T.B. Implications of climate change in the twenty-first century for simulated magnitude and frequency of bed-material transport in tributaries of the Saint-Lawrence River. Hydrological Processes. 2011;25:1558-1573.
- Verhaar, P.M., Biron, P.M., Ferguson, R.I. & Hoey, T.B. Numerical modelling of climate change impacts on Saint-Lawrence River tributaries. Earth Surface Processes & Landforms. 2010;35:1184-1198.
- Ferguson, R. Time to abandon the Manning equation?. Earth Surface Processes & Landforms. 2010;35:1873-1876.
- Ferguson, R. & Church, M. A critical perspective on 1-D modeling of river processes: Gravel load and aggradation in lower Fraser River. Water Resources Research. 2009;45:W11424.
- Raven, E.K., Lane, S.N., Ferguson, R.I. & Bracken, L.J. The spatial and temporal patterns of aggradation in a temperate, upland, gravel-bed river. Earth Surface Processes and Landforms. 2009;34:1181-1197.
- Verhaar, P.M., Biron, P.M., Ferguson, R.I. & Hoey, T.B. A modified morphodynamic model for investigating the response of rivers to short-term climate change. Geomorphology. 2008;101:674-682.
- Hardy, R.J., Lane, S.N., Ferguson, R.I. & Parsons, D.R. Emergence of coherent flow structures over a gravel surface: A numerical experiment. Water Resources Research. 2007;43:W03422.
- Sime, L.C., Ferguson, R.I. & Church, M. Estimating shear stress from moving boat acoustic Doppler velocity measurements in a large gravel bed river. Water Resources Research. 2007;43:1-12.
- Ferguson, R.I. Flow resistance equations for gravel-and boulder-bed streams. Water Resources Research. 2007;43:W05427.
- Ferguson, R.I., Cudden, J.R., Hoey, T.B. & Rice, S.P. River system discontinuities due to lateral inputs: generic styles and controls. Earth Surface Processes and Landforms. 2006;31:1149-1166.
- Rice, S.P., Ferguson, R.I. & Hoey, T.B. Tributary control of physical heterogeneity and biological diversity at river confluences. Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences. 2006;63:2553-2566.
- Ferguson, R.I. Estimating critical stream power for bedload transport calculations in gravel-bed rivers. Geomorphology. 2005;70:33-41.
- Ferguson, R.I. & Church, M. A simple universal equation for grain settling velocity. Journal of Sedimentary Research. 2004;74:933-937.
- Ferguson, R.I. Emergence of abrupt gravel to sand transitions along rivers through sorting processes. Geology. 2003;31:159-162.
- Ferguson, R.I., Parsons, D.R., Lane, S.N. & Hardy, R.J. Flow in meander bends with recirculation at the inner bank. Water Resources Research. 2003;39:1322.
- Ferguson, R.I. The missing dimension: effects of lateral variation on 1-D calculations of fluvial bedload transport. Geomorphology. 2003;56:1-14.
- Ferguson, R.I., Bloomer, D.J., Hoey, T.B. & Werritty, A. Mobility of river tracer pebbles over different timescales. Water Resources Research. 2002;38:1045.
- Lee, A.J. & Ferguson, R.I. Velocity and flow resistance in step-pool streams. Geomorphology. 2002;46:59-71.