Departmental Research Projects
Dr Ed Garrett
My research focuses on sea-level change over a wide range of timescales, from short-term extreme wave events such as tsunamis and storm surges, to multi-millennial changes driven by tectonics. A key area of my work concentrates on using Holocene sea-level records as a proxy for the abrupt crustal movements that accompany the largest plate boundary earthquakes. I employ a range of approaches, including field-based surveying, sedimentology, microfossil analysis, geochronology and modelling, to identify the timing and characteristics of past earthquakes and their subsequent tsunamis. My current research focuses on coastlines facing the Chilean subduction zone and the Nankai Trough, south of Japan. This work seeks to provide a long-term perspective on subduction zone behaviour to aid efforts to assess and mitigate against future hazards.
Sefa Sahin, Northumbria University
- Garrett, E. Biostratigraphic constraints on megathrust earthquake deformation history in south central Chile. 2013.
- Garrett, Ed, Brader, Martin, Melnick, Daniel, Bedford, Jonathan & Aedo, Diego First field evidence of coseismic land-level change associated with the 25th December 2016 Mw 7.6 Chiloé earthquake, Chile. Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America. 2019;109:87-98.
- Melnick, Daniel, Hillemann, Christian, Jara-Muñoz, Julius, Garrett, Ed, Cortés-Aranda, Joaquín, Molina, Diego, Tassara, Andrés & Strecker, Manfred R. Hidden Holocene slip along the coastal El Yolki fault in Central Chile and its possible link with megathrust earthquakes. Journal of Geophysical Research: Solid Earth. 2019;124:7280-7302.
- Lamair, L., Hubert-Ferrari, A., Yamamoto, S., Fujiwara, O., Yokoyama, Y., Garrett, E., De Batist, M., Heyvaert, V.M.A., Boes, Evelien, Nakamura, Atsunori, Obrochta, Stephen, Shishikura, Masanobu, Miyairi, Yosuke, Brückner, Helmut, Ono, Eisuke, Riedesel, Svenja, De Rycker, Koen, Sato, Yoshiki & Walstra, Jan Use of high-resolution seismic reflection data for paleogeographical reconstruction of shallow Lake Yamanaka (Fuji Five Lakes, Japan). Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology. 2019;514:233-250.
- Garrett, Ed, Fujiwara, Osamu, Riedesel, Svenja, Walstra, Jan, Deforce, Koen, Yokoyama, Yusuke, Schmidt, Sabine, Brückner, Helmut, De Batist, Marc, Heyvaert, Vanessa MA & QuakeRecNankai team, the Historical Nankai-Suruga megathrust earthquakes recorded by tsunami and terrestrial mass movement deposits on the Shirasuka coastal lowlands, Shizuoka Prefecture, Japan. The Holocene. 2018;28:968-983.
- Garrett, Ed, Pilarczyk, Jessica E. & Brill, Dominik Preface to marine geology special issue: Geological Records of Extreme Wave Events. Marine Geology. 2018;396:1-5.
- Riedesel, Svenja, Brill, Dominik, Roberts, Helen M., Duller, Geoff A.T., Garrett, Ed, Zander, Anja M., King, Georgina E., Tamura, Toru, Burow, Christoph, Cunningham, Alastair, Seeliger, Martin, DeBatist, Marc, Heyvaert, Vanessa M.A., Fujiwara, Osamu & Brückner, Helmut Single-grain feldspar luminescence chronology of historical extreme wave event deposits recorded in a coastal lowland, Pacific coast of central Japan. Quaternary Geochronology. 2018;45:37-49.
- Hocking, Emma P., Garrett, Ed & Cisternas, Marco Modern diatom assemblages from Chilean tidal marshes and their application for quantifying deformation during past great earthquakes. Journal of Quaternary Science. 2017;32:396-415.
- Cisternas, M., Garrett, E., Wesson, R., Dura, T. & Ely, L. Unusual geologic evidence of coeval seismic shaking and tsunamis shows variability in earthquake size and recurrence in the area of the giant 1960 Chile earthquake. Marine Geology. 2017;385:101-113.
- Garrett, E., Fujiwara, O., Garrett, P., Heyvaert, V.M.A., Shishikura, M., Yokoyama, Y., Hubert-Ferrari, A., Bruckner, H., Nakamura, A., De Batist, M. & The QuakeRecNankai Team A systematic review of geological evidence for Holocene earthquakes and tsunamis along the Nankai-Suruga Trough, Japan. Earth-Science Reviews. 2016;159:337-357.
- Shennan, I., Garrett, E. & Barlow, N.L.M. Detection limits of tidal-wetland sequences to identify variable rupture modes of megathrust earthquakes. Quaternary Science Reviews. 2016;150:1-30.
- Garrett, E., Barlow, N.L.M., Cool, H., Kaufman, D., Shennan, I. & Zander, P. Constraints on regional drivers of relative sea-level change around Cordova, Alaska. Quaternary science reviews. 2015;113:48-59.
- Garrett, E., Shennan, I., Woodroffe, S.A., Cisternas, M., Hocking, E.P. & Gulliver, P. Reconstructing paleoseismic deformation, 2: 1000 years of great earthquakes at Chucalén, south central Chile. Quaternary Science Reviews. 2015;113:112-122.
- Kempf, P, Moernaut, J, Van Daele, M, Vermassen, F, Vandoorne, W, Pino, M, Urrutía, R, Schmidt, S, Garrett, E & De Batist, M The sedimentary record of the 1960 tsunami in two coastal lakes on Isla de Chiloé, south central Chile. Sedimentary Geology. 2015;328:73-86.
- Shennan, I., Barlow, N.L.M., Carver, G.A., Davies, F.P., Garrett, E. & Hocking, E.P. Great tsunamigenic earthquakes during the last 1000 years on the Alaska megathrust. Geology. 2014;42:687-690.
- Garrett, E., Shennan, I., Watcham, E.P. & Woodroffe, S.A. Reconstructing paleoseismic deformation, 1: modern analogues from the 1960 and 2010 Chilean great earthquakes. Quaternary Science Reviews. 2013;75:11-21.