Departmental Research Projects
Dr Sarah Woodroffe
I am an Associate Professor in the Geography Department. My research is focused upon reconstructing Holocene and recent sea-level changes using microfossil-based reconstruction methods, in order to answer questions of ice sheet history, crustal response to surface loading and predictions of future sea-level change in vulnerable coastal areas. I’m currently involved in research looking at sea-level changes over the last millennia in Greenland and what they can tell us about the changing mass-balance history of the Greenland Ice Sheet over the recent past and over longer timescales. I am also working on sea-level records from key locations far from the centres of former glaciation which provide information on the long-term melting histories of the large ice sheets of Greenland and Antarctica. My particular area of expertise is the development and application of sediment and microfossil-based methodologies (including transfer functions) in reconstructing sea-level change. These are designed to enhance accuracy and precision and to allow development of sea-level records from historically poorly studied locations such as low and high latitudes.
- Constraining Greenland Ice Sheet Mass Balance Using Salt Marsh Sediment Sequences
- Reconstructing Ice Sheet History Using Relative Sea-Level (RSL) Observations and Modelling
Chapter in book
- Woodroffe, S.A. & Long, A.J. Late Quaternary Sea-level Changes in Greenland. In: Editor in Chief Elias & S.A. Encyclopedia of Quaternary Science, 2nd edition. Elsevier; 2012.
- Woodroffe, S. A., Long, A. J., Milne, G. A., Bryant, C. L. & Thomas, A. New constraints on late Holocene eustatic sea-level changes from Mahé, Seychelles. Quaternary Science Reviews. 2015;115:1-16.
- Woodroffe, S. A., Long, A.J., Punwong, P., Selby, K., Bryant, C. L. & Marchant, R. Radiocarbon dating of mangrove sediments to constrain Holocene relative sea-level change on Zanzibar in the Southwest Indian Ocean. The Holocene. 2015;25:820-831.
- Garrett, E., Shennan, I., Woodroffe, S.A., Cisternas, M., Hocking, E.P. & Gulliver, P. Reconstructing paleoseismic deformation, 2: 1000 years of great earthquakes at Chucalén, south central Chile. Quaternary Science Reviews. 2015;113:112-122.
- Lecavalier, B.S., Milne, G.A., Simpson, M.J.R., Wake, L., Huybrechts, P., Tarasov, L., Kjeldsen, K.K., Funder, S.V., Long, A.J., Woodroffe, S.A., Dyke, A.S. & Larsen, N.K. A model of Greenland ice sheet deglaciation constrained by observations of relative sea level and ice extent. Quaternary Science Reviews. 2014;102:54-84.
- Woodroffe, S.A., Long, A.J., Lecavalier, B. S., Milne, G.A. & Bryant, C.L. Using relative sea-level data to constrain the deglacial and Holocene history of southern Greenland. Quaternary Science Reviews. 2014;92:345-356.
- Garrett, E., Shennan, I., Watcham, E.P. & Woodroffe, S.A. Reconstructing paleoseismic deformation, 1: modern analogues from the 1960 and 2010 Chilean great earthquakes. Quaternary Science Reviews. 2013;75:11-21.
- Barlow, N.L.M., Shennan, I., Long, A.J., Gehrels, W.R., Saher, M.H, Woodroffe, S.A. & Hillier, C. Salt marshes as late Holocene tide gauges. Global and Planetary Change. 2013;106:90-110.
- Wake, L.M., Milne, G.A., Long, A.J., Woodroffe, S.A., Simpson, M.J.R. & Huybrechts, P. Century-scale relative sea-level changes in West Greenland — A plausibility study to assess contributions from the cryosphere and the ocean. Earth and Planetary Science Letters. 2012;315-316:86-93.
- Brain, M.J., Long, A.J, Woodroffe, S.A., Petley, D.N., Milledge, D.G. & Parnell, A.C. Modelling the effects of sediment compaction on salt marsh reconstructions of recent sea-level rise. Earth and Planetary Science Letters. 2012;345-348:180-193.
- Long, A.J., Woodroffe, S.A., Milne, G. A., Bryant, C.L., Simpson, M.J.R. & Wake, L.M. Relative sea-level change in Greenland during the last 700 years and ice sheet response to the Little Ice Age. Earth and Planetary Science Letters. 2012;315-316:76-85.
- Long, A.J., Woodroffe, S.A., Roberts, D.H. & Dawson, S. Isolation basins, sea-level changes and the Holocene history of the Greenland Ice Sheet. Quaternary Science Reviews. 2011;30:3748-3768.
- Woodroffe, S.A. & Long, A.J. Reconstructing recent relative sea-level changes in West Greenland: local diatom-based transfer functions are superior to regional models. Quaternary International. 2010;222:91-103.
- Long, A.J., Woodroffe, S.A., Milne, G.A., Bryant, C.L. & Wake, L.M. Relative sea level change in west Greenland during the last millennium. Quaternary Science Reviews. 2010;29:367-383.
- Long, A.J., Woodroffe, S.A., Dawson, S., Roberts, D.H. & Bryant, L.M. Late Holocene relative sea level rise and the Neoglacial history of the Greenland Ice Sheet. Jounal of Quaternary Science. 2009;24:345-359.
- Woodroffe, S.A. Recognising subtidal foraminiferal assemblages: implications for quantitative sea-level reconstructions using a foraminifera-based transfer function. Journal of Quaternary Science. 2009;24:215-223.
- Woodroffe, S.A. & Long, A.J. Salt marshes as archives of recent relative sea-level change in West Greenland. Quaternary Science Reviews. 2009;28:1750-1761.
- Woodroffe, S.A. Testing models of mid to late Holocene sea-level change, North Queensland, Australia. Quaternary Science Reviews. 2009;28:2474-2488.
- Woodroffe, S.A. & Horton, B.P. Holocene sea-level changes in the Indo-Pacific. Journal of Asian Earth Sciences. 2005;25:29-43.
- Woodroffe, S.A., Horton, B.P., Larcombe.P.E. & Whittaker, J.E. Intertidal mangrove foraminifera from the central Great Barrier Reef shelf, Australia: Implications for sea-level reconstruction. Journal of Foraminiferal Research. 2005;35:259-270.
- Horton, B. P., Whittaker, J. E., Thomson, K. H., Hardbattle, M. I. J., Kemp, A., Woodroffe, S. A. & Wright, M. R. The development of a modern foraminiferal data set for sea-level reconstructions, Wakatobi Marine National Park, Southeast Sulawesi, Indonesia. Journal of Foraminiferal Research. 2005;35:1-14.
- Horton, B. P., Larcombe, P., Woodroffe, S. A., Whittaker, J. E., Wright, M. R. & Wynn, C. Contemporary foraminiferal distributions of the Great Barrier Reef coastline, Australia: implications for sea-level reconstructions. Marine Geology. 2003;198:225-243.
- 2011: Dating mid-holocene sea level changes in the Seychelles (£4190.00 from )
- 2009: SEA-LEVEL CHANGES OVER THE PAST 10,000 YEARS (£3781.00 from British Council Manchester)
- 2007: XVII INTERNATIONAL UNION FOR QUATERNARY (£900.00 from The Royal Society)