Departmental Research Projects
Mr Tom Lees, MSci MSc CGeol FGS UK RoGEP Professional
- 2020 - present: PhD Researcher, Durham University
- 2012 - 2020: Engineering Geologist, Southern Testing Laboratories Ltd
- 2011 - 2012: MSc Engineering Geology, Univertiy of Portsmouth
- 2010 - 2011: Mudlogging Geologist, Geoservices Ltd
- 2006 - 2010: MSci Geoscience, Durham University
My research focuses on the mechanical properties of rocks, and how the intact strength of rocks is affected by weathering processes. In particular, I am interested in how this applies to stability assessments for excavated and natural slopes.
My research project utilises detailed geotechnical laboratory testing and computer modelling to help determine the relative contribution of different weathering effects to the deterioration of rock strength, and the extent to which the timing of these effects modulates this degradation.