Departmental Research Projects
Professor Gavin Bridge
Professor in the Department of Geography
Telephone: +44 (0) 191 33 43502
Fax: +44 (0) 191 33 41801
Room number: 231
Current PhD Supervisions
- Pietra Cepero Rua Perez, The politics of nature and mining the Amazon: territory, materiality and extraction in Pará, Brazil
- Eric Boyd (co-supervised with Anthropology), Shifting ontologies of iron ore: enframing extractive resources during the relocation and redevelopment of Kiruna, Sweden
- Carlos Tornel, A just energy transition in Mexico? Assessing the socio-spatial, and socio-technical implications of incorporating renewable energy projects into the energy system
- Burag Gurden, Governing the energy-water nexus: sustainable resource governance for development in Turkey
- Costanza Concetti, Scaling Down Power: a geography of electricity prosumption
- Miklos Durr, Digitising Mobility: an urban political ecology of climate-smart transport networks
- Yu-Kai Liao, Crustacean Capitalism in The Amphibious Mekong Delta: Dynamic Relations of Land-water and Agro-aquaculture
- Ryan Wyeth, Knowing water-as-resource: the political ecology of 'green-power' hydro-development in Georgia
- Diego Astorga de Ita, "Through the old forest of / mahogany and cedar": environmental change and the landscapes of music in the Sotavento region of eastern Mexico
- Graham Clark, Understanding hazard correlation: the impacts to the insurance industry
Completed PhD Supervisions
- Dr Hung-Ying Chen, Air Rights as Market Devices: Exploring Financialization in Taipei Metropolitan Area
- Dr Julie de los Reyes, Mining Shareholder Value: Financialisation, Extraction, and the Geography of Gold Mining
- Dr Diego Andreucci, The Political Ecology of Resource Dependence: Extractivism, Conflict and Development in Latin America
- Dr Chun-Kai Leung, Fuelling the Dragon: a Geographical Political Economy of the Natural Gas Industry in China
- Dr Philip Robinson, A Political Ecology of Bovine Tuberculosis Eradication in Northern Ireland
- Dr Ralitsa Hiteva, Geographies of Energy Governance: Negotiating Low Carbon and Energy Secure Futures in the European Union
- Dr Hugo Romero, Disturbance and Disruption in Chilean Patagonia: a Political Economy of the HidroAysen Hydro-Power Project
- Dr Tomas Frederiksen, Unearthing Rule: Mining, Power and the Political Ecology of Extraction in Colonial Zambia
- Dr Denise Humphreys-Bebbington, The Political Ecology of Natural Gas Extraction in Southern Bolivia
- Dr Raihana Ferdous, Towards a Spatial Understanding of Solar Energy Transition: The Making of a Solar Energy Market in Bangladesh and the Experiences of On-grid and Off-grid Households
- Questions of property, access and control associated with 'new geographies' of resource production and consumption
- Political ecologies of resource scarcity and security
- The organisation of global production networks for raw materials, particularly those associated with old and new 'carbon economies'
- The ways in which the material character of 'biophysical' resources shapes their appropriation, commodification and marketisation
- Geographies of energy transition and governance
- Bridge, G, Barr, S, Bouzarovski, S, Bradshaw, M, Brown, E, Bulkeley, H & Walker, G Energy and Society: a critical perspective. Routledge; 2018.
- Bridge, G & Le Billon, P Oil. Polity; 2017.
- Bridge, G. & Le Billon, P. Oil. Cambridge: Polity; 2013.
Chapter in book
- Bridge, G, Barca, S, Özkaynak, B, Turhan, E & Wyeth, R Towards a Political Ecology of EU Energy Policy. In: Foulds, C & Robison, R Advancing Energy Policy: Lessons on the Integration of Social Sciences and Humanities. Palgrave; 2018:163-175.
- Bridge, G & Bradshaw, M Deepening Globalisation: economies, trade and energy systems. In: Ekins, P, Bradshaw, M & Watson, J Global Energy: Issues, Potentials and Policy Implications. Oxford University Press; 2015:52-72.
- Barca, S. & Bridge, G. Industrialisation and environmental change. In: Perreault, T., Bridge, G. & McCarthy, J. The Routledge Handbook of Political Ecology. Abingdon, Oxon: Routledge; 2015:366-377.
- Bradshaw, M, Dutton, J & Bridge, G The geopolitical economy of a globalising gas market. In: Ekins, P, Bradshaw, M & Watson, J Global Energy: Issues, Potentials and Policy Implications. Oxford University Press; 2015:291-305.
- Bridge, G. The Resource Archipelago: spatial aesthetics and resource ecologies. In: Arns, I World of Matter. Sternberg Press; 2014:64-73.
- Bridge, G. Past peak oil: political economy of energy crises. In: Peet, R., Robbins, P. & Watts, M. Global Political Ecology. 2010:307-324.
- Perreault, T., Bridge, G. & McCarthy, J. Routledge Handbook of Political Ecology. Routledge; 2015.
- Bridge, G., Bulkeley, H., Langley, P. & van Veelen, B. Pluralizing and Problematizing Carbon Finance. Progress in Human Geography. 2019.
- Kuchler, Magdalena & Bridge, Gavin Down the black hole: Sustaining national socio-technical imaginaries of coal in Poland. Energy Research & Social Science. 2018.
- Bridge, Gavin, Özkaynak, Begüm & Turhan, Ethemcan Energy infrastructure and the fate of the nation: Introduction to special issue. Energy Research & Social Science. 2018;41:1-11.
- Bridge, G. The map is not the territory: A sympathetic critique of energy research’s spatial turn. Energy Research & Social Science. 2018;36:11-20.
- Bridge, G & Bradshaw, M. Making a Global Gas Market: Territoriality and Production Networks in Liquefied Natural Gas. Economic Geography. 2017;93:215-240.
- Bridge, G.J. Energy (in)security: world-making in an age of scarcity. The Geographical Journal. 2015;181:328-339.
- Bridge, G The Hole World: scales and spaces of extraction. Scenario Journal. 2015;5.
- Bridge, G Resource geographies II: the resource-state nexus. Progress in Human Geography. 2014;38:118-130.
- Bridge, G., Bouzarovski, S., Bradshaw, M. & Eyre, N. Geographies of energy transition: Space, place and the low-carbon economy. Energy Policy. 2013;53:331-340.
- Bridge, G. The Hole World: scales and spaces of extraction. New Geographies. 2013;2:43-8.
- Bridge, G. & Fredriksen, T. ‘Order out of Chaos’ Resources, Hazards and the Production of a Tin-Mining Economy in Northern Nigeria in the Early Twentieth Century. Environment and History. 2012;18:367-394.
- Bridge, G. Resource geographies 1 Making carbon economies, old and new. Progress in Human Geography. 2011;35:820-834.
- Bridge, G. Geographies of peak oil: The other carbon problem. Geoforum. 2010;41:523-530.
- Bridge, G. & Wood, A. Less is more: Spectres of scarcity and the politics of resource access in the upstream oil sector. Geoforum. 2010;41:565–576.
- Bridge, G. Global production networks and the extractive sector: governing resource-based development. Journal of Economic Geography. 2008;8:389-419.
- 2019: Fraying Ties? Networks, territory and transformation in the UK oil sector. UK Economic and Social Research Council
- 2019: Geopolitical Economy and Energy System Transformation. UK Energy Research Centre, Phase 4
- 2017: Towards a Political Ecology of EU Energy Policy. SHAPE ENERGY
- 2016: 2016-10-01 - 2018-03-08: To the Ends of the Earth, Leverhulme Trust
- 2016: 2016-2020: H2020-REINVENT, European Commission
- 2016: Energy Infrastructure: Security, environment and social conflict. British Council Newton Funds Researcher Links Workshop Grant (with Boğaziçi University, Istanbul)
- 2016: Indeterminate and Changing Environments: Law, the Anthropocene and the World (ICELAW). The Leverhulme Trust
- 2011: The Geopolitical Economy of Global Gas Security and Governance: Implications for the UK. UK Energy Research Centre