Departmental Research Projects
Publication detailsJeffrey, A., McFarlane, C. & Vasudevan, A. Guest Editors Introduction: Debating Capital, Spectacle and Modernity. Public Culture. 2008;20:531-538.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 0899-2363, 1527-8018
- DOI: 10.1215/08992363-2008-011
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
This article introduces the dossier of responses to the RETORT collective's Afflicted Powers: Capital and Spectacle in a New Age of War (2005). We seek to ground this text in its political and theoretical context, identifying its relevance to scholars and activists alike. We introduce the four commentaries, which collectively provide a challenging set of observations concerning RETORT'S analysis of the contemporary geopolitical moment, focusing in particular on their theorization of the spectacle, the nature of U.S. imperialism, and the politics of modernity.