Lecturer in Physical Geography, Fixed Term (Geochemistry) - Ref: 20000095
(6 February 2020)
The Department of Geography at Durham seeks to appoint a talented individual to the fixed term role of Lecturer. We welcome applications from those with research and teaching interests in Geochemistry with the ability to teach courses on introductory geochemistry and applications of geochemistry to Earth Surface Processes and/or Palaeoclimate.
This role of Lecturer is for a fixed term of 4 years and to provide cover for a colleague who will be working on a research project during this period. The post is fixed term, as defined by the term of the ERC grants awarded to Professor Erin McClymont and Professor Bob Hilton, who will return to their substantive roles at the end of their grants. In addition this role is considered to be a development opportunity and the University consider it important to allow opportunities for such early stage academic opportunities to be available to a number of people. This contract will not be extended beyond the initial fixed term.
Applicants must demonstrate research excellence in the field of Geochemistry with the ability to teach our students to an exceptional standard and to fully engage in the services, citizenship and values of the University. The University provides a working and teaching environment which is inclusive and welcoming and where everyone is treated fairly with dignity and respect. Candidates will be expected to demonstrate these key principles as part of the assessment process.
How to Apply
What to Submit
All applicants are asked to submit:
- A CV and covering letter which details your experience, strengths and potential in the requirements set out above
- PDFs of up to three pieces of research-focused work
- A personal research plan, and
- A one-page summary outlining your ability to teach modules in Geochemistry and its applications to earth surface processes and/or paleoclimate
- We shall seek the academic references during the application process. We would ask that you alert your academic referees to this application as soon as possible so that we can quickly obtain references should you be progressed to the long list stage. If you do not wish (some or all) of your refereers to be approached during the recruitment process; you must clearly indicate this to us at the time of your application
- Academic references sought for long-listed candidates may be made available to the panel during the shortlisting process
- We will seek a reference from your current line-manager if we make you an offer of employment (albeit you may have also nominated your line manager as an academic referee). Please cleary indicate which refereee is your current line-manager and please let us know if we should only approach them once an offer has been made
For informal enquiries please contact the Head of Department, Professor Mike Bentley (firstname.lastname@example.org). All enquiries will be treated in the strictest confidence.
We prefer to receive applications online via the Durham University Vacancies Site: https://www.dur.ac.uk/jobs/.
Deadline for applications: 6th March, 2020. 11:59:00pm.