Department of Geography
Founded in 1928, the Department of Geography at Durham is one of the leading centres of geographical research and education in the world. We were ranked 5th in the world by the QS World University Rankings by Subject 2013/14, 2nd in the UK by the Complete University Guide 2016 and 4th by the Guardian University Guide 2016. The recent Research Excellence Framework found we produced the most world leading research publications and were top for overall research power in the discipline nationally.
Our ambition is to provide an outstanding education experience for each and every one of our undergraduate and postgraduate students, and for the Department to be a key research node in global networks, known for its agenda-setting research across the range of our specialisms. With 64 academics, 44 researchers, 48 professional support, administrative and technical staff, 630 undergraduates and 130 postgraduates, we teach and research across the discipline. Our specialisms span from Antarctica, Greenland and the Arctic to Bangladesh, China and the emergent economies, whilst continuing to attend to the closer to home, the North east region in which we are located.
We are fortunate to enjoy a superb research and teaching environment in a wonderful City, with top class laboratory and IT facilities in a supportive and collegial atmosphere. At our core, our strength is drawn from all the people - staff and students - who together create and sustain the vibrant scholarly community that makes Durham Geography.Professor Mike Crang, Head of Department
Latest Geography News
- Masters Students Communicate Climate Change in Newcastle
- Honorary Researcher Wins Jehuda Neumann Memorial Prize from the Royal Meteorological Society
- Geography Ranked in top four again in Guardian 2016 League Tables
- New Health League Table Shows North-South Divide
- CMMF Scholar Will Attend the Resilience Academy in Bangladesh in September 2015
There are no vacancies available at present.
Events This Week
South Road, Durham
DH1 3LE, UK
Tel: 0191 3341800
Fax: 0191 3341801
- RT @crangma: #AntonisVradis @geogdurham tells @paulmasonnews youth networks been preparing this week’s “rupture” since 2008 http://t.co/6Z…
Tweeted 6 hours ago
- RT @citiesMCR: smart cities on the agenda today #sius_2015 @gisplanner simon marvin @GeogDurham
Tweeted 11 hours ago
- RT @UstinovPrincipl: @GeogDurham Global Citizenship Schol applications now open @UstinovCollege @durham_uni https://t.co/qwyrN55LgQ
Tweeted 3 days ago
- RT @hubbubgroup: We're looking forward to @hubbubgroup (via @felicitycallard, @Des_Fitzgerald @GeogDurham) participating in #scifoo http://…
Tweeted 4 days ago
- RT @harrietbulkeley: Congratulations to all who graduated @GeogDurham yesterday, and enjoy the first day of the rest of your life!
Tweeted 5 days ago