Department of Geography
Record success in QS World Subject Rankings
Durham is one of the world’s leading universities as shown by our world top 100 position in the QS World University Rankings 2019, where we are ranked 74th
A record 18 Durham subjects are also in the world top 100 of the QS World University Rankings by Subject 2019, including ten in the world top 50 and three in the world top ten.
Founded in 1928, the Department of Geography at Durham is one of the leading centres of geographical research and education in the world. We have been ranked in the top 10 for seven consecutive years in the QS World University Rankings by Subject (2019). We are recurrently ranked in the top handful of programmes in the UK by various league tables. We are ranked 1st in the Times / Sunday Times Good University Guide 2019, 2nd in the Guardian University Guide 2019 and 3rd in the Complete University Guide 2019. The most recent Research Excellence Framework found we produced the most world leading research publications and were top for overall research power in the discipline nationally.
Our ambition is to provide an outstanding education experience for each and every one of our undergraduate and postgraduate students, and for the Department to be a key research node in global networks, known for its agenda-setting research across the range of our specialisms. With over 60 academics, 40 researchers, 40 professional support, administrative and technical staff, 750 undergraduates and 130 postgraduates, we teach and research across the discipline. Our specialisms span from Antarctica, Greenland and the Arctic to Bangladesh, China and the emergent economies, whilst continuing to attend to the closer to home, the North east region in which we are located.
We are fortunate to enjoy a superb research and teaching environment in a wonderful City, with top class laboratory and IT facilities in a supportive and collegial atmosphere. At our core, our strength is drawn from all the people - staff and students - who together create and sustain the vibrant scholarly community that makes Durham Geography.
Professor Mike Bentley
Head of Department
Latest Geography News
- Dr Lizzie Richardson Wins Best Paper Prize
- Geography Student Navya Lobo Wins Laidlaw Scholarship
- Antarctic Ocean Drilling on the BBC World Service
- Geography Student Wins Prestigious Laidlaw Scholarship
- Talented Durham Students Awarded Prestigious Royal Geographical Society (with IBG) Teacher Training Scholarships
Events Over the Next 14 Days
Wednesday 29 May 2019
- Urban Worlds Workshop: 'The Urbanization of Citizenship? Reshaping Politics in the Twenty-First Century' 2:00pm to 5:00pm, W309, Main Geography Building
Thursday 6 June 2019
- Physical Geography Seminars: 'The Last Eurasian Ice Sheets: What's New and Where do we go from Here?' 2:00pm to 3:30pm, W309, Main Geography Building, Dr Anna Hughes, The University of Manchester, School of Environment, Education and Development, Contact email@example.com
South Road, Durham
DH1 3LE, UK
Tel: 0191 3341800
Fax: 0191 3341801