Department of Geography
Founded in 1928, the Department of Geography at Durham is one of the leading centres of geographical research and education in the world. We have been ranked in the top 10 for five consecutive years in the QS World University Rankings by Subject (2017). We are recurrently ranked in the top handful of programmes in the UK by various league tables. We are ranked 2nd in the Times / Sunday Times Good University Guide 2017 and 3rd in both the Complete University Guide 2017 and the Guardian University Guide 2017. The recent Research Excellence Framework found we produced the most world leading research publications and were top for overall research power in the discipline nationally.
Our ambition is to provide an outstanding education experience for each and every one of our undergraduate and postgraduate students, and for the Department to be a key research node in global networks, known for its agenda-setting research across the range of our specialisms. With 64 academics, 44 researchers, 48 professional support, administrative and technical staff, 630 undergraduates and 130 postgraduates, we teach and research across the discipline. Our specialisms span from Antarctica, Greenland and the Arctic to Bangladesh, China and the emergent economies, whilst continuing to attend to the closer to home, the North east region in which we are located.
We are fortunate to enjoy a superb research and teaching environment in a wonderful City, with top class laboratory and IT facilities in a supportive and collegial atmosphere. At our core, our strength is drawn from all the people - staff and students - who together create and sustain the vibrant scholarly community that makes Durham Geography.
Latest Geography News
Events Over the Next 14 Days
South Road, Durham
DH1 3LE, UK
Tel: 0191 3341800
Fax: 0191 3341801
Explore the frontiers of knowledge
- RT @martinbrader: Looking forward to L2 @GeogDurham #fieldtrip to #IsleofSkye tomorrow, exploring sea level, glaciation and environme…
Tweeted 10 hours ago
- Job opportunity: Assistant Professor in Human Geography, closing date Midday on 28th April 2017 -
Tweeted 11 hours ago
- Job opportunity: PDRA working alongside @MikeBDurham, closing date 27th April 2017 - https://t.co/DLRftmNi20
Tweeted 12 hours ago
- RT @jpthompson: Level 3 @GeogDurham BA /MArts students presenting their field research in #Berlin #Kreuzberg. A great week in the f…
Tweeted 3 days ago
- RT @BGSMarineGeo: New Paper! Phased occupation&retreat of last Brit–Irish Ice Sheet S.NorthSea @BritGeoSurvey @GeogDurham @LyellCentre http…
Tweeted 3 days ago