Department of Geography
What makes Geography at Durham great?
The Department of Geography is ranked third in the world in the prestigious QS World University Subject Rankings (2016). It has research on every continent and major ocean on the planet, lead by an exceptionally talented group of staff in highly advanced facilities. Head of Geography, Professor Mike Crang, talks about what makes the department great.
"I am delighted to hear that have been ranked third in the world in geography in the QS subject rankings for 2016, and even more pleased that on the measures for our academic influence, how many people read and use our work, which is the gold standard for academic quality, there we are ranked first.
It is a recognition of the world leading scholarship at Durham Geography that confirms what the last UK-wide government research assessment found - that Durham geography produced the greatest amount of world leading publications of any geography unit in the UK. It reflects the talented staff and students drawn here from around the globe, that makes it such an intellectually exciting place to work".
Professor Mike Crang, Head of Department.
Founded in 1928, the Department of Geography at Durham is one of the leading centres of geographical research and education in the world. We were ranked 3rd in the world by the QS World University Rankings by Subject 2013/14. We are recurrently ranked in the top handful of programmes in the UK by various league tables; in 2016, we were ranked 2nd in the Complete University Guide, 3rd in both the Times Good University Guide and in the Guardian University Guide. The recent Research Excellence Framework found we produced the most world leading research publications and were top for overall research power in the discipline nationally.
Our ambition is to provide an outstanding education experience for each and every one of our undergraduate and postgraduate students, and for the Department to be a key research node in global networks, known for its agenda-setting research across the range of our specialisms. With 64 academics, 44 researchers, 48 professional support, administrative and technical staff, 630 undergraduates and 130 postgraduates, we teach and research across the discipline. Our specialisms span from Antarctica, Greenland and the Arctic to Bangladesh, China and the emergent economies, whilst continuing to attend to the closer to home, the North east region in which we are located.
We are fortunate to enjoy a superb research and teaching environment in a wonderful City, with top class laboratory and IT facilities in a supportive and collegial atmosphere. At our core, our strength is drawn from all the people - staff and students - who together create and sustain the vibrant scholarly community that makes Durham Geography.
Latest Geography News
- PhD Project: Biogeomorphic Response of European Rivers to Small Barrier Removal
- Extinction on the seafloor linked to past changes in productivity at the sea surface
- Chancellor's Medal Awarded to Professor Ian Simmons
- Prestigious Royal Geographical Research Grant Awarded to Undergraduate Student
- Student dissertation inspired Geography graduate in founding successful construction firm
Events This Week
South Road, Durham
DH1 3LE, UK
Tel: 0191 3341800
Fax: 0191 3341801
Global leader in social sciences
- RT @simreaney: @GeogDurham MRes student @AlexRFraser will present flood risk modelling w @SCIMAP & CRUM3 at Flood @TheFloodExpo https://t.c…
Tweeted 2 days ago
- RT @PeterJForman1: There's some intense PhD planning going on in the office today! @Geog_Victoria #PhD #hardworkpaysoff @GeogDurham https:…
Tweeted 3 days ago
- RT @simreaney: At the Defra Cumbria Flood Modelling competition launch at Defra today. @edendtc https://t.co/PoxFXleRr0
Tweeted 3 days ago
- RT @BenAndersonGeog: Paper on idea/politics of 'Urban Autonomy' linked to the Urban Worlds research cluster @GeogDurham
Tweeted 4 days ago
- The Department of Geography Postgraduate Summer Seminar Series 2016: https://t.co/Mn2xrlDAjD @KeneKco @Sam_Slatcher @Geog_Victoria
Tweeted 5 days ago