Department of Geography
What makes Geography at Durham great?
The Department of Geography is ranked third in the world in the prestigious QS World University Subject Rankings (2016). It has research on every continent and major ocean on the planet, led by an exceptionally talented group of staff in highly advanced facilities. Head of Geography, Professor Mike Crang, talks about what makes the department great.
"I am delighted to hear that we have been ranked third in the world in geography in the QS subject rankings for 2016, and even more pleased that on the measures for our academic influence, how many people read and use our work, which is the gold standard for academic quality, there we are ranked first.
It is a recognition of the world leading scholarship at Durham Geography that confirms what the last UK-wide government research assessment found - that Durham geography produced the greatest amount of world leading publications of any geography unit in the UK. It reflects the talented staff and students drawn here from around the globe, that makes it such an intellectually exciting place to work".
Professor Mike Crang, Head of Department.
Founded in 1928, the Department of Geography at Durham is one of the leading centres of geographical research and education in the world. We were ranked We were ranked 3rd in the world by the QS World University Rankings by Subject 2016. We are recurrently ranked in the top handful of programmes in the UK by various league tables; in 2016, we were ranked 2nd in the Complete University Guide, 3rd in both the Times Good University Guide and in the Guardian University Guide. The recent Research Excellence Framework found we produced the most world leading research publications and were top for overall research power in the discipline nationally.
Our ambition is to provide an outstanding education experience for each and every one of our undergraduate and postgraduate students, and for the Department to be a key research node in global networks, known for its agenda-setting research across the range of our specialisms. With 64 academics, 44 researchers, 48 professional support, administrative and technical staff, 630 undergraduates and 130 postgraduates, we teach and research across the discipline. Our specialisms span from Antarctica, Greenland and the Arctic to Bangladesh, China and the emergent economies, whilst continuing to attend to the closer to home, the North east region in which we are located.
We are fortunate to enjoy a superb research and teaching environment in a wonderful City, with top class laboratory and IT facilities in a supportive and collegial atmosphere. At our core, our strength is drawn from all the people - staff and students - who together create and sustain the vibrant scholarly community that makes Durham Geography.
Latest Geography News
- Rest and Well-being - World's Largest Survey
- Durham Geographer Providing Research for National Flood Resilience Review
- Geography Graduates Highly Commended in 'Junior Nobel Prize'
- 'Rest & its discontents' - a new exhibition on rest, stress, noise & mind-wandering at the Mile End Art Pavilion, London
- PhD Student Through to National 3-Minute Thesis Competition Final
- Lectureships in Human Geography x3 - Ref: 003111
- Postdoctoral Research Associate - NATURVATION I & II: Understanding the emergence, dynamics and implications of urban innovation for Nature Based Solutions - Ref: 003044 & 003045
- Teaching Fellow in Physical Geography - Ref: 3040
- Administrator for NATURVATION - Ref: 3009
Events This Week
South Road, Durham
DH1 3LE, UK
Tel: 0191 3341800
Fax: 0191 3341801
Explore the frontiers of knowledge
- RT @harrietbulkeley: in what sense is the urban, urban ... and are there any limits to planetary urbanism? @GeogDurham @ColinMcFarlane3 ref…
Tweeted 3 hours ago
- RT @sk_pamiri: @MScRiskDurham @GeogDurham @_IHRR My best wishes to the new Risk Masters students. So i am 4 batched old now :)
Tweeted 4 hours ago
- RT @durham_uni: Take part in the #DurhamDays photo-challenge. Share your photos to win £25! #DUmakeithappen #DUInduction https://t.co/asfPg…
Tweeted 7 hours ago
- Job Opportunities: x2 PDRA on new H2020 NATURVATION project. Closing date 4th November 2016 https://t.co/8n9ydIvIk4 https://t.co/xhAhN8CZyZ
Tweeted 1 day ago
- Job Opportunities: x3 Lectureships in Human Geography. Closing date: 20th November, 2016 https://t.co/Dh1xUaZpdt
Tweeted 1 day ago