Publication details for Dr Vladimir BrljakBrljak, Vladimir (2017). The Age of Allegory. Studies in Philology 114(4): 697-719.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 1543-0383 (electronic)
- DOI: 10.1353/sip.2017.0025
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
The article traces the emergence of the myth of the Middle Ages as the "age of allegory"—from the formative developments of the late seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, through its classic statement in the work of Jacob Burckhardt, to its consolidation at the hands of John Addington Symonds and other British and American authors—and discusses its continuing influence on English literary historiography.