Publication details for Professor Claire WarwickBuchanan, G., Gow, J., Blandford, A., Rimmer, J. & Warwick, C. (2006). Representing aggregate works in the digital library. Research and advanced technology for digital libraries 10th European conference, ECDL 2006, Alicante, Spain, September 17-22, 2006 proceedings, Alicante, Spain, Springer.
- Publication type: Conference Proceeding
- ISSN/ISBN: 9783540446361, 9783540446385, 0302-9743
- DOI: 10.1007/11863878_61
- Keywords: Digital Libraries, Architecture, Collection Building.
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
- View in another repository - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
This paper studies the challenge of representing aggregate works such as encyclopaedia, collected poems and journals in digital libraries. Reflecting on materials used by humanities academics, it demonstrates the complex range of aggregate types and the problems of representing this heterogeneity in the digital library interface. We demonstrate that aggregates are complex and pervasive, challenge many common assumptions and confuse the boundaries between organisational levels within the library. The challenge is amplified by concrete examples.