Dr Philippe Lynes, Ph.D.
Lynes is a Lecturer in Theory and Modern and Contemporary Literature in the Department of English Studies at Durham University, where he previously held a Junior Research Fellowship. He held the 2017-8 Fulbright Canada Visiting Research Chair in Environmental Humanities at the University of California, Irvine, and earned his Ph.D. in Interdisciplinary Humanities from Concordia University in Montréal, Québec. His research situates itself at the intersections of contemporary continental philosophy and the environmental humanities. Lynes is the author of Futures of Life Death on Earth: Derrida's General Ecology (Rowman & Littlefield International, 2018) and co-editor (with Matthias Fritsch and David Wood) of Eco-Deconstruction: Derrida and Environmental Philosophy, (Fordham University Press, 2018). He is also a translator of French philosophy. His translation of and introduction to Jacques Derrida's Advances was published in 2017, and Serge Margel's The Tomb of the Artisan God in 2019, both with the University of Minnesota Press, and recently finished a translation of the first 1941 version of Maurice Blanchot's Thomas l'obscur. Lynes' work has also been published in the Oxford Literary Review, Pli, Philosophy Today and CR: The New Centennial Review. He is currently finishing his second book Dearth: Eco-Deconstruction after Speculative Realism on Blanchot, Derrida and Heidegger.
- Fritsch, Matthias (ed.), Lynes, Philippe (ed.), Wood, David (ed.), Barad, Karen., Clark, Timothy., Colebrook, Claire., Fritsch, Matthias. Kirby, Vicki., Llewelyn, John., Lynes, Philippe., Marder, Michael., McCance, Dawne., Naas, Michael., Oliver, Kelly., Peterson, Michael., Toadvine, Ted., Wolfe, Cary. & Wood, David. (2018). Eco-Deconstruction: Derrida and Environmental Philosophy. Fordham University Press.
- Lynes, Philippe (2018). Futures of Life Death on Earth: Derrida's General Ecology. Rowman & Littlefield.
Chapter in book
- Fritsch, Matthias, Lynes, Philippe & Wood, David (2018). Introduction. In Eco-Deconstruction: Derrida and Environmental Philosophy. Fordham University Press. 1-26.
- Lynes, Philippe (2018). The Posthuman Promise of the Earth. In Eco-Deconstruction: Derrida and Environmental Philosophy. Fordham University Press. 101-120.
- Lynes, Philippe (2017). Auparadvances. In Advances. University of Minnesota Press. ix-xlvii.
- Lynes, Philippe (2020). The Imagination. Philosophy Today
- Lynes, Philippe (2019). Biodeconstruction in the Neganthropocene. CR: The New Centennial Review
- Lynes, Philippe (2019). Extinction and Thalassal Regression. The Oxford Literary Review 41(1): 107-126.
- Derrida, Jacques, Ben-Naftali, Michal, Anderson, Ellie (trans.) & Lynes, Philippe (trans.) (2016). Abraham's Melancholy. Oxford Literary Review 39(2): 153-188.
- Philippe Lynes (2016). Is it Ecologically Just to Be? Anti-Natalism in Eco-Deconstruction. Oxford Literary Review 38(1): 99-126.