This is an archive of past events within the Department of English Studies. Please see our current events for forthcoming activities.
Some of our public events are recorded and are available as podcasts via our Research English At Durham blog.
Creative Writing: First Circle of Lectures
Creative writer? Come along to these presentations and a Q&A on short stories, novels and drama from established writers and critics.
- Dr. Allyson Stack (University of Edinburgh) "The art of the tale: Why short stories matter"
- Dr. Catherine Dousteyssier-Khoze (Durham University) "Writing you first novel: joys and pitfalls"
- Dr. Patrick Gray (Durham University) "Literature vs Propaganda: ambiguity and the catharsis of doubt"
This event is organised by Durham University's Creative Writing Society, but all are welcome.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about this event.
Research in English At Durham (READ) blog showcasing the the literary research emerging from the Department of English Studies
We host a large number of conferences, lectures and seminars each year, many of them open to the public. Find out more on our Events page.
Many of our public lectures, seminars and conferences are recorded, and can be listened to as podcasts.
- 20th January 2021
- Sensory Experiments in Nineteenth-Century Literature
- Online (Zoom)
- Dr Erica Fretwell (University of Albany) and Dr Shannon Draucker (Siena College)