This is an archive of past events within the Department of English Studies. Please see our current events for forthcoming activities.
Some of our public events are recorded and are available as podcasts via our Research English At Durham blog.
Editing Now: Early Modern Performance and Modern Textual Scholarship
Editing Now: Early Modern Performance and Modern Textual Scholarship brings together theatre historians, literary scholars, stylometrists, actors, librarians, manuscript specialists, and musicologists, as well as editors working on the AHRC-funded projects John Ford and The Complete Works of James Shirley, 1596-1666.
The workshop will look at current editorial projects in the field of early modern literature, methods of establishing authorship and a writer’s canon, and the way in which large-scale editorial endeavours are funded and organized. The workshop will also seek to establish a multi-disciplinary, cross-period research network on editorial practices and traditions, which will be of great interest for members of the Institute for Medieval and Renaissance Studies, and anyone with a general interest in editing.
- Professor Robert Cummings, University of Glasgow
- Dr Philip West, Oxford University
- Dr Andrew Ashbee, Musica Britannica
- Stephen Tabor, Huntington Library, California
- Sonia Ritter, formerly RSC and Globe
- Dr Marcus Dahl, School of Advanced Study, London
- Professor Marina Tarlinskaya, University of Washington
- Dr John Lavagnino, King’s College, London
- Sir Brian Vickers FBA, Institute of English Studies, London
The full programme is available for download here.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about this event.
Research in English At Durham (READ) blog showcasing the the literary research emerging from the Department of English Studies
We host a large number of conferences, lectures and seminars each year, many of them open to the public. Find out more on our Events page.
Many of our public lectures, seminars and conferences are recorded, and can be listened to as podcasts.
- 20th January 2021
- Sensory Experiments in Nineteenth-Century Literature
- Online (Zoom)
- Dr Erica Fretwell (University of Albany) and Dr Shannon Draucker (Siena College)