Dr Prue Holmes
Prue Holmes is Senior Lecturer in International and Intercultural Education in the Department of Education and MA Programme Director. She teaches postgraduate modules in international and intercultural education and intercultural communication. Prue’s teaching experience includes intercultural communication at the University of Waikato, New Zealand, and English as a Foreign Language and English language teacher education in Italy, China, and Hong Kong.
Currently, Prue leads an AHRC-funded “Researching Multilingually” project (www.researchingmultilingually.com) on building research design and practice in multilingual contexts, and another, funded by HEA/UKCISA on internationalisation and the student experience. Other current research includes intercultural dialogue; the intercultural dimensions of foreign language teaching, and of English as a lingua franca; and internationalisation. She has published extensively on intercultural encounters; communication and learning experiences of international and Chinese students; intercultural competence, immigrant communication experiences; intercultural education; and intercultural dialogue. She has received further research commissions from UNESCO (Paris), Education New Zealand, and the Ministry of Education (International), New Zealand.
Prue is Chairperson of the International Association of Languages and Intercultural Communication (IALIC) http://ialic.net/?page_id=15 . She will host their biannual conference at Durham University from 30 November to 1 December, 2012.
Information for prospective doctoral research student supervisions
Prue supervises dissertations and theses in the areas of intercultural communication, intercultural competence, and intercultural education; the intercultural dimensions of foreign language education; intercultural citizenship; internationalisation; students’ learning and intercultural experiences; identity, and Chinese students’ adaptation/adjustment and intercultural experiences abroad. She would welcome applications from prospective doctorate students on the above topics.
- Mr Muneer Alqahtani
- Ms Hongbo Dong
- Ms Sara Ganassin
- Miss Weijia Zheng
- Mr Wei-yu Chang
- Ms Jingyan Peng
- Ms. Shuoqian Qin
- Ms Melanie Van-den-hoven
- Mr Sherman Chin
- Ms Pooi Ong
- Ms Shih-ching Huang
- Ms Peggy Lim
- Ms Beatriz Pena-dix
- Mrs Misa Furuta
- Ms Caroline Joslin-callahan
- Ms Chun Shao
- Miss Chen Wang
- Intercultural and International Education
- Intercultural Communication
- Language Learning and Teaching
- Researching multilingually
- Qualitative Research Methods/ Ethnography
- Intercultural Education Resources for Erasmus Students and their Teachers
- Researching Multilingually
- Travelling Ahead
Journal papers: academic
- Byram, M., Holmes, P. & Savvides, N. (2013). Intercultural communicative competence in foreign language education: Questions of theory, practice and research. Language Learning Journal 41(3): 251-253.
- Ganassin, S. & Holmes, P. (2013). Multilingual Research practices in Community Research: The case of Migrant/Refugee Women in North East England. International Journal of Applied Linguistics 23(3): 342-356.
- Holmes, P., Fay, R., Andrews, J. & Attia, M. (2013). Researching multilingually: New theoretical and methodological directions. International Journal of Applied Linguistics 23(3): 285-299.
- Holmes, P. & O'Neill, G. (2012). Developing and evaluating intercultural competence: Ethnographies of intercultural encounters. International Journal of Intercultural Relations 36(5): 707-718.
- Ganesh, S. & Holmes, P. (2011). Positioning intercultural dialogue—theories, pragmatics, and an agenda. Journal of International and Intercultural Communication 4(2): 81-86.
- Zaidman, N. & Holmes, P. (2009). Business communication as cultural text: Exchange and feedback of promotional video clips. International Journal of Intercultural Relations 33(6): 535-549.
- Holmes, P. (2008). Foregrounding harmony: Chinese international students voices in communication with their New Zealand peers. China Media Research 4(4): 102-110.
- Holmes, P. & Janson, A. (2008). Migrants' communication practices with ICTs: Tools for facilitating migration and adaptation?. International Journal of Technology, Knowledge & Society 4(6): 51-62.
- Cockburn-Wootten, C., Holmes, P. & Simpson, M. (2008). Teaching teamwork in business communication/management programs. Business Communication Quarterly 71(4): 417-420.
- Holmes, P. (2004). Negotiating differences in learning and intercultural communication: Ethnic Chinese students in a New Zealand university. Business Communication Quarterly 67(3): 294-307.
- Holmes, P. (2012). Business and Management Education. In The Routledge Handbook of Language and Intercultural Communication. Jackson, J. London: Routledge. 464-480.
- Holmes, P. (2011). Business and management education. In The Routledge Handbook of Language and Intercultural Communication. Jackson, J. Routledge: London. 464-480.
- Holmes, P. & O'Neill, G. (2010). Autoethnography and Self-reflection: tools for self-assessing intercultural competence. In Becoming intercultural: Inside and outside the classroom. Tsau, J. & Houghton S. Newcastle upon Tyne: Cambridge Scholars. 167-193.
Edited works: journals
- Byram, M., Holmes, P. & Savvides, N. (2013). Teaching and Learning Intercultural communication in the Second/Foreign Language Classroom. The Language Learning Journal Special Issue I, 41 (3).